39 coaches online • Server time: 11:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Slick

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been debating this for quite some time, and I think we should talk about it. I believe I whine because I care whether or not I win. If I didn't care then would the game be any fun? I don't think it would be fun at all if I was totally indifferent. I'm the first to laugh when something silly happens most of the time, but if I feel I'm getting shafted by the dice the whining begins. Now, if someone whines at me I do my best to humor them and try to help them see the lighter side, instead of just telling them to shut up and stop crying. However, if they respond negatively I'll usually just ignore them. So, tell us how you react to whining or why you whine. Inquiring minds want to know. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

When I see the usual whining "Oh, this is bogus, I'm cursed by bad luck!!!" most of the time I roll my eyes and think "Yeah, that's what all the bad coaches say."
Given that, I pretty much shut up about bad luck, because that would put me into the bad coaches' camp, at least in my opponent's opinion.

As for whining about dead players - I used to do that and actually care, but really, a zenlike detachment from what happens to my teams is far better for my blood pressure Wink
Slick

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Whoops this intellectual conversation got pushed off the most recent thread links by some irrelevant topics. (Slick places his thread back on top cuz he knows it's the coolest and all the Fumbblers love it.)/Cheer

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I whine because it's part of the fun coach banter. There are fun ways to whine. "This sucks, you're getting all the breaks, I'd beat you normally" is a bad whine. "Oh NOOOOOO!" or "Pick up the ball you stupid goddamn goat!" or "If this guy were any more of a bonehead, dogs would be chewing on him" are good whines.

I like the occasional "auuuugh" or "crap!" or "this just isn't my day" from my opponents, too. Shows they're invested in the game.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to whine. The problem with the javabowl client is that you can't sacrifice the dice when they do badly because you can't extract them from the game! That's why I always lose and roll those ones and all that. To counter it I've started to re-install Javabowl after a full formatting of the hard drive to get all the evil spirits out and it seems to be working. Sometimes.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

What a fantastic topic.
Personally I have gotten a whole lot better in the whining department. I know that I personally appreciate when my opponent can joke about his stupid troll that hasn't moved in six turns. It's sometimes hard to practise what I preach though. Especially when I feel that might be losing against a pretty bad coach I get an urge to point out that there really is nothing I can do when i roll like that.

And I KNOW that if the opponent haven't noticed my bad rolls he probably won't because of my complaining so there really is no point.
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I whine because I'm English. It's my birthright.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

<terry tate impression>Bad luck??? Baby it don't phase me. The only bad luck I got time for is the bad luck I'll be bringing on your little witch elf all day. All day long baby. Get ready for the pain train . . . WHOOO WHOOO</terry tate impression>

Seriously, there are notable exceptions, but for the most part I think when I have bad luck I'm all good. If I know I've done my best and those triple skulls come up, no big deal. But I'm with TinkyWinky, I go a little nuts if my opponent has a string of good luck after setting him/herself up for some really bad luck.
peke

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I whine because I give everything to the game and then it's all messed up by that failed target 2/3 or similar. "Oops, I failed target 3 pickup with reroll. Oops, ball fell of pitch. Oops, ball flew right into my opponent's hands had who had target 12 for catch and made it. Oops, now I will start swearing and fouling senselessly and playing stupidly in general, because I just lost interest."

Or if I get one pow on first half, 67 pushback, 72 skulls, 2 pushback-pows (on players with dodge of course) and opponent gets 148 pows. Jep jep.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't whine, I bitch. Wink

Part of the problem with it being a text based client so it's hard to tell if someone's 'I don't believe this!' Is a good natured oh, crap or if they're about to concede and go to cry under the pillow.

Mine's always the first, doubt my opponents would always agree.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

LtMonkey wrote:
I whine because I'm English. It's my birthright.

I second this.

I whine when I get bad luck. I'm not going to pretend it doesnt bother me. I dont mind losing, sometimes losing can be good fun too Wink

But losing to bad luck and get your team mauled is just no fun. And why play if it isnt any fun?

mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I whine because I believe I'm a good coach, results to the contrary, and that if the dice would just go my way for this one set of convoluted circumstances I need to happen to get a TD, then I would be happy.

Seriously, I berate my players more than I whine, I think. Stupid elves. And as much as I roll my eyes sitting here in front of the computer, I never say anything to an opponent about his endless string of POWs (including his double POW on a 2-dice, I choose block). It would be rude, and I try never to be rude.
Aconite

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Whenever I get bad luck, I just amuse myself remembering when things went the other way and I had a crazy luck game...

It all comes around really, I may make some whining, but it's all in lighthearted humour. I just add up all the bad luck runs I get and look forward to when it all comes back as good luck to even things out.

As has been said, in the spirit of the game whining is fine, but those who seem to go on a depressive trip about it all can be a bit frustrating, though I do try to lighten the tone... Not necessarily easy though if they've just lost a couple of their fave players... Smile

(Brad Osberg)
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Aconite wrote:
As has been said, in the spirit of the game whining is fine, but those who seem to go on a depressive trip about it all can be a bit frustrating, though I do try to lighten the tone... Not necessarily easy though if they've just lost a couple of their fave players... Smile

I dont think people worry too much if they win or lose, as long as they dont get destroyed 5-0 or something. Its players that people worry about. eg turn 16 fouling... crowdpushing... claws+rsc etc etc. You dont hear people whining about one turners or lucky touchdowns so often, or at least I think anywho. But if someone niggles one of my better players I usually have a bit of a winge.

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally blame nuffle or my countless transgressions in life that has obviously piled on the bad karma which as it happens is manifesting itself into horrific luck on block dice.

I curse Nuffle quite a bit in-game. I think its funny when my opponent seems to think tht I have had good luck when I am thinking the exact opposite.

Slick I am looking forward to playing your elves, is it possible that we'll both have bad luck? heheheh I doubt it. Twisted Evil
 Jump to: