54 coaches online • Server time: 23:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sionis

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on the person... some people realize this is just a game (a vindictive game that tears away at a person's "inner good," and leaves them shattered and foaming at the mouth). Others are a little too involved... they view a loss as unacceptable.

Last edited by Sionis on %b %08, %2005 - %19:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
PjPants

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

i used to have a football coach that would say that luck was little more than a combination of skill and preperation. he belived that if you had prepaired for every crazy thing to happen and then had the skills to react to it properly in game then you would appear as if you are lucky. when people blame loses on luck then he felt that they were not prepaired or skilled enough to win. he also belived that people that blamed loses on luck were doing so because they are no good. i agree with this yet i still whine all the time because i am no good. i am constantly blaming my loses on the luck or the dice but its really me taking unnessicary risks on the field.
oh man i love the terry tate thing!
ruoste

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

well, playing the game without emotional link to the players and the team is definitely more intriquing than just playing with the numbers & stuff. i whine, and i do it a lot, and mostly because it's always YOUR fault, that im having the endless bad luck streak(of my life). emotional fondness to those successful players in bb is really the reason i play this game, and my continous reason for endless whine.

and as a sidenote, my luck is especially bad when someone who knows me, spectates me, and dares to tell me about it, those times. there is no such thing as a good luck in my games.
Slick

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

/me wipes a tear away for ruoste. LOL.
@PjPants: I agree with you coach, he is very wise. The majority of times "luck" ruins your game it's because you took an unneccessary risk or weren't paying enough attention to what your opponent's strategy is.
I hope that the big time whiners(like me) read what everyone has to say here so that they can at least modify their whining to be in good sport aka. laughing at oneself, instead of making it sound like it's their opponents fault, although it may be their opponents fault because he is out-coaching them.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone that has played me knows that I bitch and whine every now and again though normally it's a 'damn dirty goats' type of whining. When I really start getting on a bitch-fest is when my opponent is up 4-0, has KO'd or BH nearly all my players and decides the 8th turn is the best turn to use a dirty player to foul... which is why I don't play against teams that have DP on them anymore. It's happened once, and that's once too often. Whining and complaining is part of Blood Bowl. The disappointment and anger go away and we play another match.

For those that worry about their ranting being taken too seriously: a nicely placed Smile or Wink at the end of a 'whine rant' lets the other coach know that there's no ill-will intended.
Gufnork

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I whine because it makes me feel better. I don't mind opponents whining, unless they do it unfairly. Whining after you've failed to pick up the ball with 3 AG in a tacklezone after making six 3+ dodges after I failed my 2+ to pick up the ball gets me annoyed. After rolling your fourth double skull in the first quarter you're allowed to whine.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's a gameplay issue, then typically I don't whine. My elves/skaven rolled yet another 1-rr-1? Sucks, but what can you do? Cuss out the players! Make yourself sound like a coach on the sideline, yelling at your boys for simple mistakes! The other guy pulls off an incredible series of rolls to get the score? Compliment his boldness! Such wonderful plays are the stuff this game is made of!

But when in a two-turn span I receive two RIP, two niggles and two more MNG's...well, I admit I am most definitely not at my most civil and friendly, for the duration of the game and until about 24 hrs after (or until next game, whichever comes first). Then I'll look back, shake my head, chuckle, apologize to my opponent if I went overboard with my comments, and figure out how to start rebuilding.

Oh, and for anybody who claims that elves are not bashy, you obviously haven't been head coach for my skaven! Game vs humans, no cas. Vs orcs, two cas, both bh, both very late. Game vs an elf? Seven cas, including a niggle and two RIP. Twice. And so begins yet another rebuilding mode of giving up multiple handicaps to other coaches just so you can get a game in to get MNG's back or cash to buy new...

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

its like my mum used to say:

"if you play rough games, somebody's going to get hurt"

good advice i think.. and on the whining subject, she also said:

"if you break your leg, don't come running to me!"
Sinner

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I do not whine that much (I've ssen worse). Usually I start when I start to collect ones with my dark elves: like 3 out of 5 were one, 2 out of 2 , 2 out of 3 and stuff. When snakes come to visit regularly each turn, when I get outbashed by same AV without mighty blow or when my opponent makes silly moves and succeeds them while I fail my easy throws.

But also I'm among the first to comfort an opponent if his dice are cursed by bad luck.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

There's definitely luck involved, it's undeniably a core element of bloodbowl.
That said, canny coaching can offset bad luck and stupidity can ruin a lucky streak.
Personally, I whine constantly that the game's not going my way, cos luck is what I'm all about. I can appreciate a well made play, but it's those times when a gutter runner goes his full move, through enemy tacklezones all the way and makes a double pow -2 dice block to deny my opponent his td, or to grab the ball in 3 zones and td myself...
That's when I remember why I play the game, it's like a little touch of divinity in this mundane existence.
What I really hate is people standing at the touchline refusing to score, to make sure I don't get a chance to do one of the above. It takes all the beauty out of the game when you turn it into an exercise in statistical analysis.
Slick

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

You know what I found is also fun to do with these threads is compare a coaches rating with whining. It's almost like your CR is your "whine factor" as in the higher it is the more you whine. LOL. Just a simple observation, and you'll notice if you look at the more laid back comments they bring you to a coach with a low rating as opposed to someone who tries to justify their whining and has a high rating. Hmm ... interesting, any comments?

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Sooo....what exactly are you saying, precisely? Wink Where do I fall into your little generalization?

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I find I'm under a dark cloud with this game.
As the old blues song said, "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all."
And yet I still keep playing. Funny, isn't it?

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

@Eagle: not far above me Wink
@screech: it's true, i seen it

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2005 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Dys wrote:
It takes all the beauty out of the game when you turn it into an exercise in statistical analysis.

I like statistical analysis...
 Jump to: