39 coaches online • Server time: 10:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an amazon team that is developing nicely with a full roster.

I need some advice from more experienced coaches:

Should I play against dwarves and when?

I would love to hear from others as I probably should play a dwarf team at some stage............

Maybe Smile
Uber

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldnt try until all my players have block and all your blitzers have guard. You can play dwarves, but you have to be able to keep em at arm's length if you know what I mean.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Total respect to you for being prepaired to play vrs dwarfs. most zon coaches never do.
Ubers right though. you need lots of gaurd, block and preferably some dp and mighty blow.....

.... and even then id have saved up some cash to replace players Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately fumbbl is full with poor coaches who look for the oppurtunity to destroy their naive coach-mates' teams. Choose your opponents wisely, and never play against lame dorfs with amazons! Wink
tane

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer playing against dwarves sooner, not later. TR around 125-150, 12-13 players + apo, blitzers with one skill (guard or mb) each, maybe a line or two with block. The dwarves are unlikely to have any skilled longbeards, only runners with block and maybe a blitzer with something.

If you wait until you have all the skills the others have suggested, the dwarves are going to have even more guard and mighty blow, possibly some very annoying stand firm too. You'll have trouble beating dwarves at their game.

But winning against dwarves isn't that difficult if you spread out, keep some distance and use your superior movement to your advantage. Think of your line fodder as skaven who happen to be blessed with dodge when facing position players.

If you must wait until higher TR, at least hire a wizard.

And yes, you should play dwarves. All amazon coaches should.

-tane
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone knows that dwarfs are so enamored of amazons (because dwarf women are so incredibly ugly) that they can't keep their hands off of them. So amazon teams need to develop methods of keeping the shorties at a distance. As was said before, all your gals should have block (to fend off wandering hands), blitzers need guard (to help the gals keep small hands out of private places), and perhaps even a dirty player in there somewhere to keep them honest. Let's be honest... most blood bowl players are ugly, and the amazons stick out as even more attractive by comparison. Witch elves don't count because everyone knows that they are just plain mean. So the jungle gals need to watch out for groping guys on and off the field.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

actualy dwarfs are better comparitivly at low tr. the longbeards dont require any extra skills to beat up zons (though mb an gaurd are always good) and a couple of runners + blitzers will finnish things off nicely. dwarfs are probably one of the best teams at low tr but once you get to tr 200+ other bashy teams have block, gaurd, mb on everyone anyway and are more likly to have dp as dwarfs dont often take it as its hard enough to get games for them anyway. dwarfs are probably the team that make the least improvement at high tr. their still good but generaly not as dangerous as high tr chaos, orcs or khemri..... all of whom still find it easier to get games.
bizzarely ive seen people turn down games against relativly inoffensive dwarfs teams then play vrs a killer chaos with multi dp/claw/rsc Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is, that by the time your Zons have 7 extra Block, and a few extra Guard and DP, that is a lot of SPP and thus TR and Team Str. Come up against a Dwarf team of similar TR and Str and instead of the 7 extra block, they have 7 extra Guard/Mighty Blow/DPs.

Essentially, the TR/Str system whilst generally robust, is totally broken when it is Zons vs Dwarves, and to a lessor extent Zons vs Chaos Dwarves.

still disliked all round!
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice, and I almost only play Amazon teams, are to avoid playing dwarfs. But when the day comes that you feel stupid/brave pick your opponent wisely, and then avoid to be bogged down by him. What you really need is to have a superior passing game and avoid him, mayby sacrificing some nigglers or low SPP players to tie him down. Oh, and prayers to Nuffle have never hurt anyone.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Malthor wrote:
Essentially, the TR/Str system whilst generally robust, is totally broken when it is Zons vs Dwarves, and to a lessor extent Zons vs Chaos Dwarves.

One possible way around this is to look for a dwarf team with a similar number of games, rather than a similar TR/TS. Check and see how they compare. Odds are, the dwarves will have developed more slowly. That is by design.

/me salutes the non-cherrypicking 'zons of the world.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it's broken at all. Against other teams zons, especially at low level and in some cases even high level, can stand toe-to-toe with most bashing teams as most big guys and blockers don't have tackle. IMHO Zons are a very good team and cos of this they've been given a nemesis - your average, bumbling, household dorf - who in turn can be brutally slaughtered by your khemri and ogre teams.
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone can be brutally slaughtered by khemri and ogre teams, not just dorfs, so that argument doesn't hold. You need to play elfball with zons against dorfs. Get them a passing game.
tane

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons and dwarves are both good at low TR and both begin to suck at high TR - amazon mainly because of lack of AV, to a lesser extent because of lack of agility; dwarves because of lack of ST and speed. The fact that dwarves suck at high TR doesn't mean they suck against everyone - amazons are the obvious exception.

At TR 125-150 amazons are likely to have more guard (and thus more strength) than dwarves. Assuming the dwarves have 12 players including all available positionals, only half of them are going to have tackle and at most one of those tacklers will have MB (longbeards tend to be slow at gaining skills). Not too scary? And they're slower than you.

-tane
Funso

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves really are not that slow at gaining skills, and Longbeards, having takle and block, gain skills fairly quickly.

Only someone who doesn't play dwarves would say longbeards skill slowly.

Also, a zon team will never have more guard than a dwarf team. Who you trying to kid? A dwarf team 5 or 6 games old will often have 4 longbeards with guard. And soon enough, all 5 of you fielded longbeards will have it.
tane

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazon blitzers can with some ease score 2 touchdowns each and have guard. The only dwarves who can reliably gain SPP are the runners (and maybe blitzers) and they'll be picking block. Longbeards need to rely on luck, either 3 casualties (very lucky indeed) or an MVP and something (sounds more like it). And you're only getting one MVP a match.

So up until around 6 matches (TR over or approaching 150) amazons are fairly likely to have more guard should the amazon coach choose to pick guard as the first skill for all blitzers (and doubles on other players). After this it's all downhill for the zons facing dwarves.

-tane
 Jump to: