37 coaches online • Server time: 13:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How much work does the Chaos Renegade concept team need?
None - it's perfect!
24%
 24%  [ 21 ]
Almost there (please state suggested improvements)
29%
 29%  [ 26 ]
Needs a lot of work (please state suggested changes)
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Bleagh! Scrap it and start again!
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Forget the whole idea of Chaos Renegades
22%
 22%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 87

Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Loking good.

But they have the same issue as orcs, they don´t have to field a single "lineman" with a full roster. Their positionals + big guy makes the 11 you need. So that looks just a bit strong, but maybe limiting them to the Troll as big guy could do the trick.

On a related note this team looks funny to play, much unlike the current chaos roster that has the claw/dp/mb route to go and nothing else.

M

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:
But they have the same issue as orcs, they don´t have to field a single "lineman" with a full roster. Their positionals + big guy makes the 11 you need.

M

Damn, I was worrying about that earlier in the process, then ended up letting it slip through...nevertheless, in practice, the team will (nearly) always field linemen, much for the same reasons that Dark Elves do - i.e. the positionals are too expensive, so you always end up with a few good core linos carrying over from the team's origin. Also, you need somebody to put on the LoS.
I consider the mutants as semi-positionals, btw - sort of like Chaos Dwarfs/Longbeards, Beastmen, Elves etc. (basically, linos with more than just General access going for them).

If the number of positionals proves too high, then 2 CWs or the Runners get cut. That would definately make the team not too strong.

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2005 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this roster is really interesting and promises to create a whole range of different styles of play due to the random mutation ideas!
I think that anything that encourages a bit of diversity and not just the same old usual skill progression is a good idea! Plus it will put the impetous on the coach to play to the strengths of the mutations they have acquired!

Good job Colin

Mr__Wiz
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2005 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it as it is also and really, that was a good job.
mUst

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2005 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

jesus, my new team, everchangeing after each skillroll, thats what i like Smile, just need a little work, like playtest, "sugest a random hightr team shown here, like telling people, here is the 40+ mutations selected randomly"

would love to see what a team "could" look like, then you can see if they are well... good.

I usually like to see how a team can compete low/high tr, should be balenced on both ends "else you end up with damn zonz running around"
djbigjake

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think maybe to balance the four chaos warriors out, you could add a little line to the Mark of Chaos rule that would cause, well, chaos:

"If a mutation roll is taken and the result rolled is a mutation already present on the player, then that player instead rolls on the ageing chart."

Bang, balances out the easy to attain mutations, the presence of four warriors, and the ability to field a lineman-free team. Even makes it okay maybe to give the Chaos Warriors themselves the mark of Chaos as well. Also, it fits the fluff of the fickle nature of the Chaos Gods perfectly.

*shrugs* Just a suggestion.
Mr_QB

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the random mutations, the 11 postionals maybe a bit much. but then again i wouldn't count the mutants more than semi positionals, as you have no idea what they will get when they mutate.
I look forward to see an tr 150 team, with random mutations
good work

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

My advise for removing the runners was because too many types of players can be confusing and sometimes unusable. There are the skavens for instance: they don't need a thrower, because they cost more then the linerats but except for the skills they are same. Gutters can do their jobs even better with ag4. If I run through the lineup for the renegade team there's practically no place for thugs: 4CW, 4Mutie, 1 Big Guy and two positions left between the thugs and the runners. I know defensive and offensive lineup can differ but personally I like to use better players if I have the chance and redundant players hurt my eyes.
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

How about losing the ability to mutate for the Thugs?

They are after all just human wanderers, now in league with chaos.

That would power them down a bit.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

djbigjake wrote:
Quote:
"If a mutation roll is taken and the result rolled is a mutation already present on the player, then that player instead rolls on the ageing chart."

The team is for release with the Vault in which ageing is removed. And it wouldn´t be fair to keep the ageing table around only for those poor cw´s. Wink

M
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankie wrote:
My advise for removing the runners was because too many types of players can be confusing and sometimes unusable. There are the skavens for instance: they don't need a thrower, because they cost more then the linerats but except for the skills they are same. Gutters can do their jobs even better with ag4.

I would argue that a Thrower can pass and pick up better than a GR. The GRs extra MA and ability to dodge certainly provide more options in terms of running. But as a throwers jobs are passing and picking up I'd take the Thrower.

Just my 2c worth (even though it's a bit off topic).
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to see random mutations in a Chaos Human team. It would really set them apart from the other Chaos (Beastman/Nurgle) teams. I'd prefer to see the team starting with some random mutations rather than have positional players. I'd be delighted to see a duplicate mutation resulting in the player being turned into Chaos Spawn (Fanatic skill). Alas, this is probably too mayhemful for a GW approved BB team. Instead we will likely get "Pact-style" teams with rules equally as complex as a "Chaos Mutant" roster. I think both could work and would certainly add something much more interesting than a 4th elven team.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Join the R.O.T.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:
djbigjake wrote:
Quote:

The team is for release with the Vault in which ageing is removed. And it wouldn´t be fair to keep the ageing table around only for those poor cw´s. Wink

M

You're right, my mistake. Edit it to this then:

"If a mutation roll is taken and the result rolled is a mutation already present on the player, then that player instead recieves a niggling injury."

This allows someone to use the mutation table a few times on the same player without much risk, but should someone decide to overmutate their player, then they do in fact run into a situation where they could in fact be harmed rather than helped. If they pull it off, they have a true terror on their hands, if they don't, it's funny because it's Chaos.

Also, maybe instead of 0-4 mutants, you could have 0-2 Mutant Bullies, same stats, but with a price increase and Frenzy or block? I prefer Frenzy because I've always liked my Chaos teams to start as block/dodge free as possible, and frenzy, while fun, is always a two edged sword. Also, on the runners, instead of dodge maybe Sprint? Again, part of the challenge of Chaos is starting with no dodge, no block, and instead having weird things to replace them.
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, so far the overall opinion seems to be that only minor tweaks are needed to make this roster viable. Many thanks to everyone who's commented so far, keep it coming.

I believe a version of it has already been emailed to Jervis Johnson, and I'd be interested to see what Blood Bowl's creator would have to say.

Once the Javabbowl client and PBeM tool are updated to Vault rules, I'd be interested in running some playtesting. It'll be a while before these boys even make Experimental status, but I'm a patient man Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

AlcingRagaholic wrote:
Please tell me that the Bestigors on the Chaos team have horns.

Heh, this was exactly what I thought when I first saw this roster.

The thing is, we need to get a chaos human roster in first, before we can push for changes to the 'Bestigor'. I got the impression some of the vault people just wanted to have a place for the CW (statline, that is). Now that he's here, that leaves the door open for a behorned Bestigor.