60 coaches online • Server time: 17:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ash

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i was looking at the Dark Elves statistic cause i ve a nice thrower and want know if he was a long way to top 10 (he s not Smile).
And then i saw the suprising top 10 blocker... and i asked myself "How can they do so many cas??? first one blocker as more cas than my dark elf team Laughing which has 40 games...
First I think, this team must be old so i went to check the long work of that team. Surprise! the team is not so old! Less than 50 games... the other surprise is that the W/L factor of the team is quite bad for an elf team (under 50%). So I went to the last step of my curiousity and took a look at the games history of the team... and from there came the light...

Dwarf : 1
Amazon : 1
Lizzy : 3
Necro : 3
human : 2
HE : 3
Pro Elf : 1
DE : 11
Skaven : 14
woodie : 8

Well, the conclusion was obvious... as we play in same division (ranked) it looks like we did not play in same world...
And I was curious and had some time to lose... so I went to check the second top 10 blocker... almost the same Laughing

Question, is their a way to filter that kind of think in the stastistic section???

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

He, at least he didn't play against flings and gobbos exclusively! Very Happy
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Why and how? Sure - the cas might have been easier obtained than that of many others but they are still cas. Even if they had been exclusively playing orcs, ogres or some other hard team all the cas could have been caused against gobbos or similar. Should casualties against stunties or low AV players mean less? The same reasoning could be used for claw/RSC/MB players - they had an easier time getting the cas but does this mean that it doesn't count?
Ash

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

well... i don t know how to pass my idea... it s quite the same with pass, not only cas... If you re playing only game such as "I score in 2 turns, you score in 2 turns, and so on... the first who failed to score in 2 turn lose the game..." you will do a lot of pass.
But if you re playing tough game which end with between 3 or 5 TD at all, you will do few pass.
My conclusion is their is GOOD blockers and good blockers.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I say if they play within the rules of the R division then let them fall where they may in the statistics. Perhaps posting an average opponent AV score, but even then, the only person who would care is someone else trying to climb the top 10 ladder.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:
well... i don t know how to pass my idea... it s quite the same with pass, not only cas... If you re playing only game such as "I score in 2 turns, you score in 2 turns, and so on... the first who failed to score in 2 turn lose the game..." you will do a lot of pass.
But if you re playing tough game which end with between 3 or 5 TD at all, you will do few pass.

This is the disadvantage of an open league: everyone is free to play vs anyone they like, whenever they like. Even if that means playing only with Elves and only against other Elves, 24/7.

If you want to make it to the records, play in ranked and beat any flings you find. If you mainly play for fun, make yourself a Stunty or 4vs4 team. If you want to get tough matches, join a tournament. Joining a tournament means you will be unable to improve your "coach ranking" or get your players to the "official records" but if those are all that matters, IMO you are playing the wrong game.
Ash

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes and no...
The fact is, I m playing only for fun.
But tournament need time and some duty (can t find a better word). I can t play when I want Smile so for tournament it s hard and anyway, I m still waiting for news about the last one I joined. Playing U but not in tournament can be weird because some are not playing here to win the game... playing for cas or else...
So I m playing R and have fun like that... but some days ago i said myself that my thrower is really nice, maybe he have a chance to go on top 10... you see, it s not a target, but i will be happy if he will manage to do it Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

My Halfling Hero Charlie Maine (the top Stunty sized ranked Casualty causer) Caused well nigh all his cas against av7 players usually with str2 as well, but that doesn't take back his coolness... In my view a str1 stunty with 20 casualties is cool... doesn't matter what kind they are

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:

I really have no idea where people get this idea about taking turns to score in 2 downs. Rolling Eyes

My oldest DE team has now played 76(i think) games, and, although I've played a good variety of teams with them, the games I have played against elves have almost never ended up like that. The only ones with a lot of TDs where the ones where one side was outclassed, and the TDs were all for the same side.

Elves rarely score in 2 downs against me, and I rarely do so against other elves. Maybe the people who write this stuff just have no idea how to play defence.

That said, I do agree that the high cas rates gained by playing weaker teams is a 'fake' record, but that's hardly new. Just look at Fro'de's matchups, or any of the stunty BG's cas records. The 'dodginess' of those records make your cherry-picking dark elf pale by comparison.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Well statistics are biased more or less somehow most of the time anyway.
Many of the Top10 players in the "MVP"-charts are playing 4ball.

Ash

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:
Maybe the people who write this stuff just have no idea how to play defence.

LOL wanna try me?

No. Be serious, their is a lot of game elf between elf that end 5-4 or 4-3...
I m ok with you, it s weird but there is a lot of them... don t know how to play defense? not the point, they don t want to play defense, defense does not bring SPPs if you see what I mean...

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So now CAS are to be discounted by who you inflict upon? Is this another 'cherry-picking' thread? Are touchdowns only to count if the total number of TDs is below 3? How ridiculous are we going to get on these posts?
Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:
No. Be serious, their is a lot of game elf between elf that end 5-4 or 4-3...
I m ok with you, it s weird but there is a lot of them... don t know how to play defense? not the point, they don t want to play defense, defense does not bring SPPs if you see what I mean...

Ah, fair enough. If they're actually playing only for SPPs then you're right. I just can't bring myself to do that though. Looking back, most of the games I've played with scorelines that high were actually against skaven for some reason (one turners, probably).

I wasn't directing my comments at you in particular, it's just one of those 'blood bowl myths' that I'm tired of hearing.

And sometimes I'm just plain cranky. Laughing (see my sig)

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Tor_AlKir wrote:
So now CAS are to be discounted by who you inflict upon? Is this another 'cherry-picking' thread? Are touchdowns only to count if the total number of TDs is below 3? How ridiculous are we going to get on these posts?

No, I don't think that's the point.

I think he's more or less just stating the 'problems' with the top 10 lists. It's a shame there isn't a better way to do it, but with an open system there's nothing much to do.

(Sorry for the double post, but qouting from two seperate posts is too much for me at this time of night)

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the point is here... top 10 is not representative of "real" star...