26 coaches online • Server time: 00:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2005 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, lets have a elected security officer!!

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2005 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't see the benefits of an admin appointed on the basis of an election. His authority and power would still originate from an appointment by Christer, and Christer would still be autocratic ruler of this site.
The coaches who voted for the appointed would maybe respect him more than they respect the other admins, and I don't find that tendency positive.
The coaches who didn't vote for the appointed would maybe respect him less then they respect other admins, and I don't find that tendency positive either...

Admins are admins and should be admins because they have Christer's trust - not because of anything else.
Uber

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2005 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we vote Thrall off the island? Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

DonKosak wrote:
IAdmins are admins and should be admins because they have Christer's trust - not because of anything else.

Yeah. What he said. (How's that for an insightful point?)

Also, there's the matter of the server. It's physically in Christer's possession and his responsibility. Therefore he's ultimately the one who needs to control what goes on here and that means that all policy decisions - and the delegation of those policies - are his. The same thing applies to both content and league rules, including the enforcement thereof.

In short, I don't believe that users have the right (not a legal thing, just on a moral basis) to demand an admin by election when we do not (and cannot) share the responsiblities involved. If you disagree with something about the way things are run, open discussion of a particular point is the way to go, in my opinion.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Thumbs down for admin voting.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the admins we have as it is, i see no reason to change things
mUst

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

i dont mind admins as they are, they are pretty, nonpressent. What i miss, is the "good old days" where admins were here, and were playing like crazy, the times where you couldnt say anything without grumble looking down on you, and christer banging at your door.

call me what you like, but i dont like changes Smile
Uber

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally like the concept, but I just don't see the use. Maybe I'd like to elect someone on the BBRC, there I'd like to have an influence. I'd like to see more admins getting involed like Evo, with the tournaments, the hall of fame and all that stuff he's been promoting. If I had anything to suggest to Christer, it would be to be on the lookout for people who could bring this kind of contribution.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

i haev to second the previous posts.. especially the one BMM made..

in addition such an election system will be so flawed that it is totally open to abuse..

i doubt very much that it will ever happen.. and that is a good thing imo.. sure the actual system is not perfect.. but i also don't see any way to make it better...

and btw, fumbbl has always been a dictatorship and never a democracy Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

well well well. Voting admins? When most of us don't know who they are?

We know as we post here but 90% doesn't. I think it's silly.

BUT I do think that Christer should waive and change his staff. No really, you are all saying the job they do are fine. Is it really?

Excepting Peikko, wich whenever you can agree or disagree on his decision works on what he does.

Ladder is dead. Who's in charge? No advertising, no clean up, no try to revive it.

Div x? Evo (note that Evo is not in charge of that) pointed out that Tsaff and I cant' create div x group without acknoledgement. I posted it in div x. NO ANSWER for more than a week or two. It means that he don't read the section????

Ranked? the ranked tournament? How many guys runs U tournament that well which were reduce by admin staff for the R tournaments. Which are advancing slowly and are not better for sure than these of U. Bad decision IMO.

Forum! How many threads are posted here with ideas proposed with acknoledgement of guys here and NO ANSWER at all by admin. What does it mean? Do they read them? Are they all afraid of engaging their voice for admins? Can't they answer, when they do, better as "No it won't happen"?

Sometimes also some admins should remember that they are so should be carrefull on what they are saying. How many threads about admins abusing of there power beeing rude (was it legitim or not is an other question) or when some admin flame themselves down is publicy about some topic (this time I think at Evo and Peikko, even if they are some of the best admins here...even if you like their work or not)

Definitly I think that some changes should be done.

Perhaps changing roles of admins.
Perhaps extending the staff.
Perhaps introducing new, taking out olds.

By no way letting us vote.

Voting is just a way to ask on beeing more heard here which OBVIOUSLY NOT the case.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Ladder is dead. Who's in charge? No advertising, no clean up, no try to revive it.

There's no full admin in charge of Ladder. None of the Security Officers can do anything except advertise, really... which has been tried and has failed.

sk8bcn wrote:
Div x? Evo (note that Evo is not in charge of that) pointed out that Tsaff and I cant' create div x group without acknoledgement. I posted it in div x. NO ANSWER for more than a week or two. It means that he don't read the section????

Grumbledook is in charge of DivX... And no mere Security Officer can start tournaments in DivX for you as far as I am aware. And Grumbledook is hardly ever on-line these days.

sk8bcn wrote:
Ranked? the ranked tournament? How many guys runs U tournament that well which were reduce by admin staff for the R tournaments. Which are advancing slowly and are not better for sure than these of U. Bad decision IMO.

I think the tournament in question you were talking about was run by m0nty. Since then, Evo has taken over, and most Security Officers and a bunch of Approvers have been given access to helping out with Ranked tournaments. I like to think that things have been going a lot better since.

sk8bcn wrote:
Forum! How many threads are posted here with ideas proposed with acknoledgement of guys here and NO ANSWER at all by admin. What does it mean? Do they read them? Are they all afraid of engaging their voice for admins? Can't they answer, when they do, better as "No it won't happen"?

No we can't... because Christer calls the shots and even if we wanted to, we can't implement any of your ideas ourselves. I know I post in quite a few of those threads, but when I do, I do so as a user - because I can't act on any of them that don't fall within my powers as Security Officer.

sk8bcn wrote:
Definitly I think that some changes should be done.

Perhaps changing roles of admins.

Possibly. See above.

sk8bcn wrote:
Perhaps extending the staff.

We already have an extensive staff.

sk8bcn wrote:
Perhaps introducing new, taking out olds.

Taking out the inactive ones, the ones that disappeared, and bumping up some of the most trusted approvers - definitely.

I sent an e-mail to Christer addressing some of these issues (very very few of them to be honest, but still, some) several weeks ago. However I heard from Christer that he has over 200 unread e-mails...

I agree that some changes are necessary now that most full admins are no longer around, or only pop in every now and then (Christer, Mr-Klipp, Zy-Nox, Grumbledook). Some have already been implemented (EvolveToAnarchism is, for example, in charge of tournaments now and he is doing a bloody great job in my opinion). Some issues need work.

Voting in another Security Officer is not the solution.

Last edited by Mezir on %b %17, %2005 - %15:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have only ever had contact with 1 admin in an offical capacity that was bad. That individual is well known for being that way and nothing has been done about it.

Since I can live with avoiding that one person and the site seems to run perfectly well i vote for Status Quo. and i don't mean the group.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Wizard

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The ranked tournaments do desparetly need a few more minders
Even if it was just a handful of people that are on almost everyday, that had access to starting the tournaments - nothing more.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizard wrote:
Even if it was just a handful of people that are on almost everyday, that had access to starting the tournaments - nothing more.

You mean EvolveToAnarchism, CandleJack, Trog and myself, for example? You need a tournament started and no one is in the channel, check the group page for the staff, and then start hunting for a staff member. There is almost certainly one on-line.