49 coaches online • Server time: 17:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 4,000TV!goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

*paulhicks is feeling very got at by this thread for some reason.... and it wasnt even me thatkeggie was playing

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Slick wrote:
@Brownrob: even a blind man can hit a home run if he swings enough times. =)

keep trying, you are getting closer! Wink Smile

Razz
thesquig

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I had it happen to me not too long ago. A "recovery" game against humans almost turned out to be a team retiring match when he hired zara against my undeads.

Funnily enough the specs all booed me and cheered him...

Its so easy just to ask your opponent. Every time I've done so, they've said yes. (although one guy trying to cherrypick me refused Very Happy). The one time I didnt ask to hire a star my chaos opponent had 150ish K in the bank and a full team. I knew full well he's hire something.

Lazerus101

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
Lazerus101 wrote:
In the "reality" of blood bowl. You probably wouldnt know your opponent was hiring in a star player until the game anyway. Get over it and play the game.

Probably? You are required to own a copy of the bloodbowl board game you know. Razz

If you did, you woudl know that both palyers hire stars/freebooters/wizards at the same time, so you CAN counter someone buying a star with buying one of your own... not here though, and there is no reason for it either other than the admin are happy with how it is.

Obviously you totally misunderstood why i put reality in qoutation marks. Theres subtlety for you.
What I meant is the world that is BB.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

its just one of those things... some people do it.... most dont. i did it once and felt like a jerk afterwards. just my personal choice not to do it again.
its not against the rules and so people will still do it. best to check these things and try not to stress it too much.
treat it like i do..... its an extra player to kill Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I just played a game where ******* bought a starplayer after he asked for a game. I say anyone who does this is a coward. You are a coward because you dont try and reprisent yourself appropriately. You try and sneak a win through underhanded tactics. Fouling is not an underhanded tactic. Getting a player who has RSC and claw is not underhanded. But reprisenting yourself as one thing then horse shoeing a guy because you are a coward is a dirty thing. I can avoid RSC, and claw combos. I can avoid a team with 10 guards. I can avoid a team with 16 dirty players. But you can't avoid a guy who sneaks under your nose and buys a star player without announcing it. IT is unsportsmanlike and unterly retarded.

I am kind of miffed at fumbbl. Something like this turns me off of the whole online BB. If someone does a thing like this on table top then he WILL getsmacked upside his head. But on this he is let loose like a thief in the night. I call on Fumbbl admin to put this on thier against the rules list, or whatever it is called.
I should have skipped the game, but it had started and I don't disco dodge.

You are ridicolous.

If someone has enough cash and an open slot he can freeboot.
Simple as that. Thats why money adds to a teams rating.

If you can't handle it, you are either a lousy player or a lousy looser.

Ps.
You avoid so many things, why dont you avoid blood bowl altogether. Cherrypicking is the one thing that kills the fun of playing this game.

Edited, because the caps lock key makes my head hurt. I should edit it for the personal attacks and spelling as well, but perhaps you'll be so kind as to remember that we're all here to enjoy and calling people lousy losers is not quite enjoyment. Be nice.
- BadMrMojo
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The only time I had a guy sneak a star in on me, it was a recovery game for both of us, each team had a tr at least 35-40 pts higher than ts at the tme, only 7 or 8 players, etc. When the woodelf team needs to regain players, who'd think that he'd hire the tree-star for a single game instead of buying more guys?

I just shrugged, took out a couple more players of his, won the game, and he was out money from the game AND from hiring the star. If he wants to kill his own team that way, so be it. Stars are overrated, IMHO. I tried hiring Morg as my ogre was MNG once, and an hour later and a couple dozen "no's" told me people were terrified of him, even though I had blitzers who could do just about all he could and more. (I finally got a game in when I fired his arse...forever more, I now have Morg as an assistant coach. Smile ) I've faced down Zara many times, and a couple times the Vampire Lord. If somebody is willing to spend that type of cash on a single game in ranked, it's all to their detriment as team development. In a tourney is one thing...but wasting cash for a one-game shot?

Except Lord_Makari...I look forward to watching his orc's final game! He's saving cash, and when he gets enough, he'll retire all his lineorcs, and play with his bob's, troll, a blitzer or two, and all 5 of the orc stars at once. Oughta be a very interesting game...

5 stars for orcs...skaven get two, only one of which is any good and worth hiring...but what skaven coach ever has the cash free to splurge on a star instead of a constant stream of replacement players?

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey BigMac i think what you just stated here is a capital offence. Now back to the topic. I think it is perfectly acceptable to hire a star or whatever before a game, I always check my opponnents roster myself to see what can be expected. Sometimes I agree to a match sometimes I don't, same goes for my opponnents. I really dont see it as a big problem and neither do the Dark Judges Smile
Coach_Lo

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Paulhicks rules!!! Vote for Paulhicks!!!

I miss the magic cards, all the cards for that matter.
It made the game wild and at times very unpredictable.
As for the Star Power deal with it, foul the crap out of them
and beat them into submission.
It feels really good when you do.

The powers that be have really managed to homogenize the game.
All this was done to try to make the game fair.
I say to hell with fair. The stuff like the old riot and blitz
really made the game wide open it could change the balance of power.
They added a real BLOOD BOWL feel. I think it is more representative of the era
that bloodbowl is to take place. What next no fouling? Take away Fan throws a rock?
It is a violent often mean spirited game.
Even if we don’t hate the other players or coaches,
we will do about anything necessary to win the game.

So, I believe that taking away or trying to make the game fair at this point only detracts for the soul of the game.
I mean hell what next no blocking? You know someone could get hurt!

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Coach_Lo wrote:

Yeah! Paulhicks for pope!... errr I mean Presi.... nah Prime mi.....errrr....

Vote Paulhicks.
The real alternative.

Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind people hiring stars after the game is agreed. If they have the cash to do it, that's their choice.

Whenever I see a team with cash saved up I EXPECT to see a star and/or wizard when the game starts. Usually I get a nice surprise when my oppo turns up without either.

Besides, (assuming equal TR before buying the star) challenging a team who doesn't buy the star and holds onto the cash instead is effectively playing down, you shouldn't be surprised if they try to even things up by spending the money that created that difference in the first place.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:
Besides, (assuming equal TR before buying the star) challenging a team who doesn't buy the star and holds onto the cash instead is effectively playing down, you shouldn't be surprised if they try to even things up by spending the money that created that difference in the first place.

My words exactly!
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

squig_87 wrote:
Coach_Lo wrote:

Yeah! Paulhicks for pope!... errr I mean Presi.... nah Prime mi.....errrr....

Vote Paulhicks.
The real alternative.

you guys are scaring me now Shocked

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

When I buy a star or Freeboot the Vampire Coach on my team I usally do it after a game is arranged, never thought of it as cowardly move. I mean I am more apt to hire a star against a bashy team or a race I have troubles competing against then a race I can usally beat. Thus I am not going to prebuy stars.

So... if a Chaos Dwarf team challanges my vamps and I have an extra 90k, yep I'll Freeboot the Coach. But if a halfling team make the challange then the 90k stays in the bank for next time.

Due to this thread I will now make I point of saying I will buy a star... if I am going to.
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2005 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

In the actual board game, you are already sitting down to play the match when someone hires a star. You can't stop someone from doing this in the board game, but you could potentially not connect to a game where someone buys a star on fumbbl. If anything, fumbbl is more forgiving than the board game in this sense. If you get burned by it, you need to be more careful (have them host, don't connect until the game is up and you've double checked their roster for purchases).

The admins allow this to more close mimic the actual game. If they wanted to go a step further, they would give you a pop-up to hire stars after you connect.
 Jump to: