95 coaches online • Server time: 22:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepard,

I know what you're saying, and I totally agree with it when playing on the table top with friends... it's all honor system. But here on FUMBBL where the opponents are largely faceless internet entities, the rules need to prevail. I would much rather have a hard-coded enforcement of the rules that each player can take into account than rely on good faith.

Yes, FUMBBL is supposed to be a friendly environment, but lets be realistic. There are those who will take advantage of the rules. Its like doing business with friends... It's nice to think they will never screw you and you will remain friends, but you definately won't get screwed and lose a friend if you don't go into business with them in the first place. If the rule isn't under the honor system, you'll never be 'screwed' (it's just part of the system).
Sgt_Colon

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I think some of this has to do with the difference between fumbbl and TT.

I for one play TT against my mates and well, hiring a star all adds to the fun, when I see him grimace and squirm, it just adds to the banter. Even more so when he cracks a grin and pulls out a star of his own or whatever.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is I often play games against people I don't know on fumbbl (although I enjoy it much more when I get one with someone I have played b4) so when they do try and pull a dirty one on me I just find it kinda cheeky (A bit more honesty and politeness would be expected from a stranger but maybe thats just me) and it is annoying esp as I wouldn't even have the chance to counter it as the client currently runs. Don't get me wrong I love the banter but it's just not the same against someone you can't even see, let alone know well.

Sgt.

edit: damn beaten to it! lol Well said tho Smile
Senzadimora

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

why are you talking bout hiring stars?
- Fummbl rules consent this ...... STOP
if u dont like this u just dont play this game
I dont like many rules, other guys dont like others, but we all have to play togheter so .... accept this.
Sgt_Colon

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not quite sure you got the point of this thread (at least not how I see it) pretty sure nobody here is against stars! Just merely talking about their implementation and the general community etiquette....
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I don´t think this keggie-guy is annoyed by the fact, that he hosted and couldn´t counter-hire.
It´s just like any other whine-thread about springing stars/freebooter and we really had a lot of these. I´m sure he is glad to take the handicap he gets, if his opponent doesn´t use his money, but when this money is suddenly used, it´s sooooo unfair.

Yes, there were stars used against me. Even when I asked before accepting the game.

The "host-can´t retaliate"-thing is another subject. I agree on the host being allowed to hire a star, too. Maybe enter in the rules-section: "If the client has hired any freebooter between agreement of the match and connecting to the host, the host is entiteled to quit the game, spend money, too and rehost the game. Note: The host is only allowed to rehost once and only if he spends any money on his own team."

But the bottom line is, that you can´t chick out of a game, because the opponent pays a star - even though it´s ruining your cherrypicked record!
Wizard

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys - this is a long thread with one simple answer
Check The Roster After You Have Acepted And BEFORE You Set The Server Up if you are hosting!
Problem gone!!

You hire your own star BEFORE setting up the server /or You can bitch and whine to the guy that hired the star and say:
"Im not playing you because you hired a star..."
and then go have a cry somewhere and find another game..

Done.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

A league mate bought the Starplayer-Troll for the Semi-Finals of our League.

The Troll managed to withstand the MIGHT OF CHAOS till turn 8 in the 1st half. From this time on, he watched the game from the BH-box...

So why worry about Starplayers ? Wink

Post   Posted: May 01, 2005 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

According to the LRB hiring stars & freebooters is part of the pre-match sequence. You should ONLY be aloowed to hire them after accepting a challenge.

Anyway what's the point in having a secret weapon if everyone knows you have it.
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should complain about the rules if you think they suck but you can't whine about opponents following the rules just because you happen to dislike them.
The real problem with Fumbbl, as has been stated, is the loss of ability to counter-hire. This problem cannot be solved unless it is built into the client simply because the sequence of the game. (I'm an LRB-fanatic, by the way. If it's in the book it's in the book). A lot of coaches think you should reveal hired players before agreeing to play but this messes up the sequence even more than not being able to counter-hire does.
Step 1 = Agree to play
Step 2 = Hire freebooters
Thats the way it is, and the way it should be. If you do step 2 before step 1 you mess up the rules. In this case it's better to lose the ability to counter-hire and just be prepared for anything.
Until the problem can be properly solved I think you don't have the right to trash talk coaches who sneak in stars. It's their right.

So please, everbody, either stop whining about other coaches following the rules or stop playing the game.
In any case don't call somebody a coward because you don't like the rules. Morals are personal. I would definately call anybody a coward (and a lot of other things if the Admins would let me) who needs to know about stars before even agreeing to play.
Feel free to trash talk the rules all you want. That's what we're here for.

Oh, and sorry for raising the dead here but we all know it's unavoidable that the topic would re-appear in a new thread sooner or later anyway. There are so many new coaches on Fumbbl who need to have their say.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

. . . . . I'm not entirely sure I can accept your apology for raising the dead.... I'm fairly sure Keggie has changed some of his opinions since posting this originally. Everybody had stopped whining. I agree that it will likely come up again, but you brought it up by repeating a point already made..... no offense, but... that's weird.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
. . . . . I'm not entirely sure I can accept your apology for raising the dead.... I'm fairly sure Keggie has changed some of his opinions since posting this originally. Everybody had stopped whining. I agree that it will likely come up again, but you brought it up by repeating a point already made..... no offense, but... that's weird.

I read the whole thread but I didn't realise that exact point had been made. And I wasn't just referring to Keggie. Everybody has not stopped whining. There are a lot of coaches out there who still feel this way so I think the topic is still as fresh as ever.
There still are a lot of people to bring this message to.

Fridays, preferably not
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Skrofler wrote:
There are a lot of coaches out there who still feel this way so I think the topic is still as fresh as ever.
There still are a lot of people to bring this message to.

and you think they'll listen this time? You have mighty faith in your powers of persuasion. God be with you.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Who needs faith when there's hope?

Fridays, preferably not
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2006 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Faith is easier to gain than life, but lot harder to take away.

Jump to: