30 coaches online • Server time: 03:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Longshanks

Post 22 Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

As a somewhat new coach, I see recommendations from other coaches in strategy articles/posts to take the kick skill early (see BadMrMojo's Team Advancement FAQ as an example). I've seen statements before like "It will win you games".
Can someone please explain to me how kick wins me a game or why its good enough to take over block, or dodge or 1/2 dozen other skills I think I'd be better off with.
The only circumstance I can see when kick will win me a game is if I can blitz to get at the ball first (and probably even then only if I'm playing a team with reasonable movement). The liklihood of that happening doesn't seem to warrant sacrificing a more generally useful skill for.

Enough people seem to take kick reasonably early in their teams development so clearly some of you think its a good idea but the merit escapes me Confused . For those of you who take kick, why and in what circumstances ?
odi

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually take kick for a skaven lineman fairly quick. It's very usefull against the slower bashier teams, not so much against other ag teams. The kick skill usually makes the oppos cage forming bit slower, if the ball bounces backwards, they usually can't build the cage on turn 1. And that's when my blodge,sidestep, shadowing grs will be on the ballcarrier. oh, and in the event of a failed ball pickup? Even more fun.

If the kick off result is blitz... and you made an exellent kick, well that's almost unfair isn't it? Razz
Istarios

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick will force your opponent to make more or more difficult dice rolls. If you place the ball in the back field, he'll be pressed to either wait a turn in getting the ball to the front line people, or make a difficult pass. If you place it near the LoS you will force the elven coaches who like to keep the ball safe deep in their own half untill their catchers are in position to make extra 2+ rolls, increasing the chance of a fatal turnover. And then there's always the possibility of a Blitz as you pointed out. There's probably more great functions but these were just the ways i normaly use the skill.
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's an example game where kick allowed me to control the game and hand out a monumental spanking:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=159864

I always kicked to the back corners, 4 squares from the side and end of the pitch to avoid too much chance of a touchback - touchbacks are another reason to take Kick, btw.

Ignore the last TD, that one was a gift.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick forces your oppo to spread his team and oppo has also to "secure" every place. Playing against skaven kick linos are my primary targets (well claw, RSC are first... ), and playing with skaven kick is my first lino non-double skill.
Garaygos

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

let's add that you usually give kick to your linos... giving kick to (say) a gutter runner, elven catcher, thrower etc would not make much sense (cuz indeed there are skills they will benefit more from), but imagine an elven team built to (ideally) last: you have 11 skilless linos. Having a single lino with block or dodge (assuming no doubles) will not make things as easy as a well-placed kick will. For skaven is the same... a single more block lino within the first few skills (again barring doubles) does not have as strong an impact on your winning chances as kick has...

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

kick lets your ball retrievers get as far downfield as possible, putting pressure on the pass or making him form a case earlier than he wants, against slower teams this skill is priceless Smile
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

And it has been said, kick&blitz just win games. And if opponent positions majority of his/her players to other side (hoping for a brake-through) just kick the ball to either deep in the other side, or near the los.

You need to play against an agile team (elves or skaven) with a kick to see how valuable it might be.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

A precise kick can even rend the chances of success for one turners.

R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for off-topicness, but, Brownrob, your sig is probably the funniest sig I have ever seen! EXCELLENT!!
DonKosak

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Against slower bashy teams I find it extremely useful to be able to delay the forming of the cage. If your opponent places for instance only one orc thrower as kickoff reciever and you succesfully kick the ball deep in his backfield you can

1) force him to make gfi's just to reach the ball
2) present him with the paradox of either moving players back to protect the ball thereby lifting the pressure from your LoS-defence or taking the risk of you breaking through his lines putting tacklezones on the thrower before the cage is formed.

This can of course still be done without the kick skill - with a lucky scatter that is - but I really appreciate the security of the d3 scatter.
Bald-boy

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

R_Spiskit wrote:
Sorry for off-topicness, but, Brownrob, your sig is probably the funniest sig I have ever seen! EXCELLENT!!
Amen to that!
Ug

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

When coaching a bash or normal team, I like kicking close to the LOS.

It forces the offense to quickly secure the ball, and increases the chance of my getting the ball back either through a bad die roll by the offense or by exploiting any holes that form in the cage around the ball.

And it's more exciting to have the ball carrier in blitz range than so far back that it is impossible to hit him on turn one.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Ug! Believe it or not that had never occured to me, I always tried to put the ball where I would least want it (back by the EZ).

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2005 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
When coaching a bash or normal team, I like kicking close to the LOS.

That's what I was gonna say. I like kicking close to the LOS because then it forces them to make extra die rolls getting out of harms way or if they have a turnover I can at least put a couple of TZ's on it. I also think a lot of people stack up one side of the field on offense so that kick make sure that the ball stays on the side where there aren't very many people.
 Jump to: