17 coaches online • Server time: 06:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yar. Just to repeat what others have said, I will generally kick 3 squares (diagonally) from whatever looks like the weakest corner if I have a kicker. Sometimes that's up near the LoS, frequently it's in the back.

Dwarves, orcs, various flavors of restles dead, etc... Anyone with slow players and some low AG ones is frequently going to end up with setups where you can put the ball in a corner and they're almost giving you a free shot at a turnover. Odds are good that if you can do it consistently, then you'll capitalize on a few of those and Defensive TDs are what really blows games wide open.

Even if he gets wise to this plan quickly, you've now spread his offense out and, whether you've got a bashy team or an agile one, you can probably gang up on one group of his players while throwing up a screen to keep the rest at bay and have a temporary numbers advantage.

The downside is that people occasionally get lucky. That 2GFIs to pick up with the AG 3 player and throw long to the cage on the far side of the field can really hurt. On average, however, you'll end up in better position more often.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd wrote:
I always tried to put the ball where I would least want it (back by the EZ).

I always want the ball in the opponents EZ. Wink

No but seriously. It´s a simple matter of placing the ball where either your opponent is weak or you have the best chance of accuiring it.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

It is hard to get a kicker for a lizardmen team. The saurus are slow learners and greedy to get block and strength skills. The skinks develop faster, but need a double for general skill access.

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Kicking it close to the LOS against elves, and other high AG teams forces them to either do something they don't want to do, or at least act in a predictable manner that could create opportunities.

1. If you have guys all along the LOS, and the ball scatters there, he's in trouble.
2. If he has to move toward the LOS to get to the ball, he will be hard pressed to get completely out of harms way after retrieving the ball.
3. He may have to throw the ball to get it back enough off the LOS, possibly fumbling, or allowing you to move Pass Blockers.
4. He might actually try to advance it downfield on turn one, heheh never a good idea, because you will swamp him and kick his butt, or make his next turn a very difficult one.

It of course depends on his line up, your ball placement, and your players skills, etc. but I figured I would toss that out there.
Fela

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
It is hard to get a kicker for a lizardmen team. The saurus are slow learners and greedy to get block and strength skills. The skinks develop faster, but need a double for general skill access.

I can only agree. Lack of simple access to DP or kick is one of the worst problems of the otherwise nice lizard team concept. Lack of Block/tackle whatever on the skinks can more or less be compensated by the amount of Sauri, but those special skills that only require one player to take effect are a _real_ handicap when missing. Close to being broken IMO. (Also counts for goblins teams)

Kick is the skill for putting pressure on your opponent, regardless of playing an agility team or bashing. And pressure on your opponent is never wrong. (Unless he's a careless lucker Wink)
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:
Kicking it close to the LOS against elves, and other high AG teams forces them to either do something they don't want to do, or at least act in a predictable manner that could create opportunities...

I forgot to add that, as I was focusing on stronger, slower opponents for some reason. I'll generally kick close to the line against those bloody skaven and woodies who like to hold the ball back and move up for the full-field run, handoff, run, pass, run play. Excellent points.

vanGorn wrote:
It is hard to get a kicker for a lizardmen team...

Too damn true. That's part of the plan, however, since they are fantastic at capitalizing on it with the combination of speed, stunty and ST 4. My next lizard team, I might try to make sure that I have a saurus with kick early on and use him as a safety. Not sure how well that will work out, however.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
I can only agree. Lack of simple access to DP or kick is one of the worst problems of the otherwise nice lizard team concept. Lack of Block/tackle whatever on the skinks can more or less be compensated by the amount of Sauri, but those special skills that only require one player to take effect are a _real_ handicap when missing. Close to being broken IMO. (Also counts for goblins teams)

I abuse this comment without shame, to draw attention to the "lizzies are overrated"-thread... Very Happy
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2005 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I never expected quite so many responses. All good advice and very consistently put. I'll try and squeeze a kicker in my teams from now on Smile
qk

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2005 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, one can learn a lot in these threads!

I appreciate it, cheers

See you around
qk
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2005 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

bah clicked on post reply in order to copy and paste what 15 guys told before but finally got lazy.

so the big news:
-basher kick deep
-quick and agile: kick short

ps: bashers take a look at the skills of the passers. If surehand, kick in the other corner. (this one gives me the coach of the year award? no?)

ok then take this (blam): some time you can vary your tactic (bashers beeing up and protecting deep but not the wings, for exemple, when you run out of time and are down). If this one doesn't give me the trophy, I don't understand.

ps: in reserve:
how to use block skill (to choose pow skull over skull)
the value of tackle against blodgers
why a big guy shouldn't carry the ball
why do not dodge into 3 Tacle zones
why this rule can be broken with stand firm
(I have plenty of great tactics: I will remain coach of the year for a decade thjis way!)

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2005 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well If U play Woodies, Skavens or Dark Elves as I usually does, kicking close to the line can be great.
If U have a leap Stripball player, U can at often place it away from his Surehands player.
That way when he cages in, it´s where U want it, and no Sure hands.
And if he has a slow team, he might not be able to protect the carrier well enough to stop U from blitzing 1 die, by a few dodges/leap.
And finally when there´s only a few turns left, that well placed kick can make his attempt desperate.
When that´s said I would take dodge with a couple of guys first with my Ag players.
MattDFan

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2005 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel Kick is overrated. At the cost of not taking block, tackle, pro or a skill that can be used all game I feel the price is too high. Sometimes kick can work well but it relies on a sloppy setup by the other coach, a blitz or to nullify the bad kick result. Just my thoughts but i have never felt the other opponent having kick was the reason things went bad for me.
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2005 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I think being able to put the ball somewhere you want it and your opponent doesn't certainly can't be bad, even if you can't take immediate advantage of its placement.

I think taking Kick as one of your first skills is a great way to build up a defensive team. Kick, a couple Tackle liners, one or two Blitzer types with some speed and either Block/MB, Blockle, or Block/Strip is easy enough to build on an early team, and some Guard and Pass Block, too.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2005 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
bah clicked on post reply in order to copy and paste what 15 guys told before but finally got lazy.

Ah, teach us, oh sensei!

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2005 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally think Kick manages to be both the most consistently over-rated and under-rated skill.

Newbies tend to underestimate the usefulness of more reliably determing where the ball starts for a drive.

Advocates of the skill tend to overtstae its importance in comparison to having a solid defensive setup and strategy.

I like the skill, but am pretty confident in my abilities on defense, so will often forgo it in favour of skills that will be used more often for smaller effect, trusting my coaching to make this more of aadvantage in the long run.