19 coaches online • Server time: 07:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

After 750+ games played, I finally have my first team to reach 100 games by itself. Enter my beloved skaven team, the Weapon Masters.

*cheers from crowd*

Previously, any skaven team I started would have tremendous success, but be retired no later than the 30 game mark due to excessive injuries and insufficient income. Such was very nearly the case with this team also, as we got pasted in a series of games vs elves (during my brief stint as part of the EMU...but consecutive elven games with multiple RIP each game kinda soured me on that idea). Basically, the team consisted of a few rookies and one gutter of legend. Yes, you know the one I'm talking about...

Sai!!!!

At the time he was merely an uninjured super-star gutter, but already showing potential for absolute greatness. So bolstered by our huge base of fans (FF 20+, as high as FF 26) showing support each and every game, purchasing "We Love Sai!" t-shirts by the case, the team lived long enough to allow him to reach his goal of becoming a legend of the pitch. Indeed, someday he may even be enshrined in the Fumbbl Hall of Fame, but that was never his goal. He merely wanted to be remembered, and I think it safe to say that nobody who ever played against him in his later days will EVER forget Sai!

At the time of his retirement, the team was ready to be retired, as it had lived its final function...but what was this? During the course of getting Sai to legend-hood, the team (and fans) had rebuilt into competitive level again! Led by one of the few remaining original Masters, we continued to win games. Eventually, we suffered another bad spell of injuries, but this time Shinai himself was already past the mega-star status without aging, and so the team dedicated itself to generating a second legend. Once successful, the coaching staff looked around and decided, "We've come this far, let's see how far we can go!"

Some thirty games later, we stand as only the 6th skaven team in recorded history to survive long enough to reach 100 games together. We've seen uber-highs (TR 281/TS 266) and massive lows (playing for dozens of games with TR 50 pts or more greater than TS), but through it all we've persevered.

Festivities began early, as in game 98 we trounced a higher-ranked skaven team 6-0, thanks to a timely virus crippling half his team. (No, we had nothing to do with that...honest...) No sooner had we finished this impressive display than we were immediately attacked by an undead team, calling us out, insulting us and demanding we prove ourselves worthy. Well, a 7-0 victory and many cas (caused BY us for a change) later, the undead had to admit we were the real deal.

Riding high, living the high life, the coaching staff let the players relax before their big 100th game, allowing time off from practice to spend time with family, while we searched out who would be our next opponent. However, being so highly ranked and respected a team made it exceedingly difficult to locate a coach willing to pit his team to the test against us! Even orcs were finding creative excuses to back out gracefully! Finally, a much lower ranked chaos team issued US a challenge, claiming weakling rats couldn't stand up to their might. Blithely, the coach accepted...

...and has been summarily reduced in position to waterboy, after the disastrous "victory". Yes, three turns in things were looking terrific--the score was tied 1-1, and we were only down one MNG while we had eliminated the ogre and two players with gleaming claws. However, there were many more where these came from, and their coach must've put something into their halftime coffee, as they came out just roaring. No longer could our meager blows injure him; no longer could his blows NOT injure us, ranging from simple stuns to all out injuries. We ended up walking away victors, but barely, and helping to support two crippled team members to the funeral of the rat who one day might've been the team's third legend, Sabre III.

So, now that we have reached 100 games with a winning record (54-18-28 ), having generated two legends, a mega-star and multiple super-stars, what's next? Probably a long vacation! Games can still be arranged by request, but it's about time we gave these boys a well-earned rest! But never fear--it's a fact of life and bloodbowl that you'll see the name of Weapon Masters in the future...

Last edited by AFK_Eagle on %b %08, %2005 - %06:%May; edited 2 times in total
Uber

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The High E.L.F. Alliance has faced the Weapon Masters more than once and I must admit it was quite a showdown each time. Make that vacation a quick one AFK, there are no other skaven teams I'd rather play in my next cycle. That last game with 160K+ crowd and 200K+ combined winnings was SWEEEEEEEEET ! Very Happy

Long live the masters !

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I second that one, AFK - although to be honest, I'm impressed by the way you have developed your linerats almost as much as your two amazing legends - may the Weapon Masters live long and... umm... I refuse to go into the supernerdness of quoting vulcan truisms!
Flynn

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

gratz bud

Goodbye Cusi
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

[shakes fist]

Even though I was speedbump #99, congrats

And I'll get my rematch.

Mwahahahahahahaha
origami

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats. You've definitely had some fun players on that team.

While we're speaking of rematches, my Elves are looking forward to another match.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

As soon as my Humans get back in shape I'll gladly challenge your super-rats.
I got past 100 games myself with the Hellfishes... Smile
Of course, due to my strict policy about injuries (none at all on the team, no matter what) I suffer periodical drastical TR droppings, so I never stay at the 220TR long.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 08, 2005 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

congratz AFK. i still want my rematch though Wink
Frantisek

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK,
I spectated that 99th game against Snappy. Pretty amazing stuff with three blitz results in a row. After watching a team blitz three kickoffs in a row I became an instant fan.
I would wish you good luck but I think Snappy actually needs the luck after that pounding. Very Happy
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Frantisek wrote:
AFK,
I spectated that 99th game against Snappy. Pretty amazing stuff with three blitz results in a row. After watching a team blitz three kickoffs in a row I became an instant fan.
I would wish you good luck but I think Snappy actually needs the luck after that pounding. Very Happy

Amen, brother. These are sad days indeed in On Lok Land.
 Jump to: