44 coaches online • Server time: 10:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

FAQ:
Q:
How does the luck-meter works.
A:
It doesn´t.
Optihut

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The "problem" is that the luckmeter takes into account all the dice-rolls, whereas the subjective impression of luck focuses on critical moments like going for it to score the touchdown or armour and injury rolls - seriously, who cares about 3 pushback blocks in a row, when you manage to pick up, pass, catch, and score?

As for having "bad luck" - my own impression is that most of the time it's only bad coaches, who can't play properly, that complain about their lack of luck.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed; it is not the AVERAGE number of success which is important but WHEN you manage to roll crucially good or bad. Failing a gfi happens but when it happens and you RR it, turning up a 1 again and you happen to have the ball in hand it counts for much, much more...

I nowadays move the pitch just enough upward so that I do not see the 'luck-meter'.

Doesn't help me feeling robbed though when Nuffle (may the bastard drown in his own feces) is watching me again...

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

@Christer:
I read through the guide and the math behind it is nice. The only thing that isn´t taken into account - and thus the reason alot of players think the number is too high - are rerolls, or at least the teamrerolls. I don´t know the exact details, how much info is taken into account when calculating the probabilities of success for blocking - so I don´t know if the e.g. on blocking the client adjusts the luckmeter according to the result or according to the roll.

If on a 2d-block a POW and a SKULL is rolled, and the player misclicks the SKULL, will the luckmeter increase or decrease?
odi

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The luckmeter just doesn't work, so ppl should just disregard it. If it were showing how many of you 2+,3+,4+,5+ and 6+ rolls you have succeeded out of how many attemps (hmm, then we would need -2d,2d,3d blocks too), then I would think it would be usefull.

Odi
ps. No, and I don't have any idea how to code this into the client Razz
Eddy

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

@CL
afaik, the luck-meter takes into account:
- the dice you chose, not the one you roll
- if a RR is used, the final result, not the first result. i mean that the former result is simply forgotten. i might be wrong, but that's how i perceived it.

Post   Posted: May 09, 2005 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The luck meter also does not take into account dice rolls occuring outside the turn, like kickoff table results and ko rolls. If your opponent gets 3 blitzes in a row on kickoffs, you are having "bad luck" (even more pure bad luck than inside the game), but it is not reflected in the luck meter. When, as happened recently, my high elves rolled Morley's Revenge as a handicap, then rolled the max players (3) suffering, then had all three suffer on the opening kickoff, then had the opponent roll a blitz, this is bad luck that is not captured in the luck meter. Once I figured this out, I quit looking at the luck meter.
Christer

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 05:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
The only thing that isn´t taken into account [...] are rerolls

Well, this only holds for blocks at the moment. A failed dodge is a failed dodge regardless of whether it's rerolled or not. For blocks, the luck system does support rerolls (which are considered a failure as far as the luck meter is concerned), but I believe the client doesn't use this feature for various technical reasons.

CircularLogic wrote:
If on a 2d-block a POW and a SKULL is rolled, and the player misclicks the SKULL, will the luckmeter increase or decrease?

Only the actual outcome of the roll is taken into account. A misclick on a skull is considered a failed block. Again, this is a limitation on how the client works internally and the luck system isn't provided with the actual roll that was made.
Christer

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 05:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
FAQ:
Q:
A:
It doesn´t.

Wrong.

It works just fine, although the term "Luck" is a bit misleading. However, those who believe that the luck value is not working simply don't understand what it means.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
FAQ:
Q:
A:
It doesn´t.

Wrong.

It works just fine, although the term "Luck" is a bit misleading. However, those who believe that the luck value is not working simply don't understand what it means.

Quote:
Armour rolls

Success: Armour was broken.
Failure: The defender was left prone.

Err.
Who made all that up? Its obviously wrong, try it.

First block of the game, get a POW, but fail to break armour gives 100% luck.

If you break armour and get a stun (obviously more success than not breaking the armour roll) you don't get 100% luck...

But of course, all of us are too stupid to comprehend such a great intellectual achievement that a failure is a success.
Wizard

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

luck is an illusion - shut up and get over it

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no luck. There's only fate. Or, more precisely: a toast with banana-pie on it.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
The only thing that isn´t taken into account [...] are rerolls

Well, this only holds for blocks at the moment. A failed dodge is a failed dodge regardless of whether it's rerolled or not. For blocks, the luck system does support rerolls (which are considered a failure as far as the luck meter is concerned), but I believe the client doesn't use this feature for various technical reasons.

Well, reading through the math the odds of succeding are calculated into it. So if I fail a rerolled 2+ dodge the odds for failure are 1/36 - without reroll they are 1/6. So it DOES matter, if a dodge was rerolled.

Christer wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:

Only the actual outcome of the roll is taken into account. A misclick on a skull is considered a failed block. Again, this is a limitation on how the client works internally and the luck system isn't provided with the actual roll that was made.

So the luckmeter is inaacurate on blocks, too - as it doesn´t take skills into account. So downing a WD without block or tackle (11/36) increases the odds as much as knocking a skilles human lino down with you blitzer (27/36).

So what probabilities are taken?
Captain1821

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

butter on toasts?

I HATE IT!

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
So what probabilities are taken?

Take it for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less...
Better too have something than nothing.

Pepperoni on toast is pretty good too. Gives you that pizza feeling.