19 coaches online • Server time: 06:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 09:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
But of course, all of us are too stupid to comprehend such a great intellectual achievement that a failure is a success.

No, but some seem to be unable to comprehend that there might be bugs.

CircularLogic wrote:
Well, reading through the math the odds of succeding are calculated into it. So if I fail a rerolled 2+ dodge the odds for failure are 1/36 - without reroll they are 1/6. So it DOES matter, if a dodge was rerolled.

What I meant was that a failed dodge that is subsequently rerolled is counted as two separate rolls.

CurcularLogic wrote:
So the luckmeter is inaacurate on blocks, too - as it doesn´t take skills into account. So downing a WD without block or tackle (11/36) increases the odds as much as knocking a skilles human lino down with you blitzer (27/36).

No, the luck system does take into account block, dodge and tackle, as well as the number of dice rolled.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. That page is pretty awesome, especially for a mathless dork like myself. Thanks for writing it all out, Christer! I sort of understand it now.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing to keep in mind is that depending on how it has been coded, some of the rolls may be made by the 'other' side, in which case they won't be counted for the "luck" meter.

I don't really know, but perhaps the armour roll is one of these.

Even if it wasn't, I would have though that failing the armour roll would count like a pushback -- i.e. not breaking armour is not a 'failure', but succeding would be a 'success', as neither results in a turnover (but maybe I'm wrong here).
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is:
The luck-meter throws up more or less random numbers for me somewhere inbetween 40 and 80 and it has usually nothing to do with whats going on on the field. The way you discribe it, it should be really accurate - but it isn´t. Example when I open the game with a doubleskull reroll pushed and the luckmeter goes up. Obviously there are some problems with teamrerolls. I just try to figure out, where there is the difference between theory and reality....
Christer

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 13:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Like I said before: If you reroll a block, the initial roll is not taken into account. This is a because the client does not send that information to the luck system and not due to a bug in the luck code.
origami

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I have found that the luck meter generally gives you a pretty good idea of how the rolls are going. This is especially true when there is a big differential later in the game (i.e. 40%-70% at the start of the second half). There are a few games, however, when one player will miss all of the critical rolls - but make all of the rest, thus boosting their luck.
Drud

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

origami wrote:
I have found that the luck meter generally gives you a pretty good idea of how the rolls are going. This is especially true when there is a big differential later in the game (i.e. 40%-70% at the start of the second half). There are a few games, however, when one player will miss all of the critical rolls - but make all of the rest, thus boosting their luck.

I agree 100%!
I've been wondering several times how the heck that luck-meter worked, but I get it now. And it's name should defenatly be changed to succes-rate, since that's what it is.
A 'true' luck-meter would need to calc with a LOT more.
1) As it is now, a 3d block against (you make the block, your opponent chooses from 3 dies) resulting in 3 POW's will give you just as much luck as a 3d block for you, resulting in 2 Skulls and a POW.
2) When people say "wow, that was lucky", it's generally because you suceeded in an important (and fairly hard) roll. Like a 5+ pickup in the enemy endzone, which gives you the winning TD. It'd be impossible for a calculator to make adjustments as to how important the rolls are.
3) Has already been mentioned, and could be implemented in the current luck-meter I think: The off-turn events. They dont have any influence atm, and they sure as hell can be lucky or unlucky.
 Jump to: