56 coaches online • Server time: 23:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

In my RL league, I skilled up two wights (non-doubles) in two consecutive matches. I gave the first Strip Ball and the second Sure Hands, on the logic that they'll be the linchpin of my defense: one hits the ballcarrier and, if all goes well, the second one runs in for the grab.

It's a fait accompli, as the French say, but I was wondering for the future if I could have made some better decisions...

- Matt

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Strip Ball - every team should have one
as for Sure Hands - save it for the Ghouls - I like Tackle or Guard personally for wights
Uber

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly the wights have very limited choices if they don't roll doubles, that's why sure hands is a good idea in my oppinion, especially on an Undead team which doesn't have the wolves as catchers. Personally I prefer tackle over strip ball, so I would have chosen that and Pro as the third. There's nothing wrong with strip ball, but personally I think any decent opponent will stay out of their range unless they have sure hands or make a mistake. My .02$

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard's only available on doubles for wights though, no?

Edit: and d'oh! Tackle would have been good against that 'fling team. Not too many dodgers other than them, but the elves have started to pick it up in spades.

Last edited by Shepherd on %b %10, %2005 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
PjPants

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

i agree i like tackle and stripball.
dagda331

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

oooh yeah - silly me Razz I still say the strip ball was not a mistake tho - if nothing else, its one more thing your opponent must take into account when setting up his offense - and the less freedom your opponent has, the more likely it is you'll stop his score Smile
cyric612

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

strip ball is also good when your offense falls apart and you need to get the player running off with the ball gives you more options Smile
skeletor

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Strip ball is a crap skill on a ag3 team, you normaly canĀ“t pickup in a TZ and get avay, anyway.
Its not useless but ill get tackel anyday
origami

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, strip ball is a lot less useful on an ag 3 team. You are far better off getting tackle and knocking the ball carrier down.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree. Yes, better to knock the guy down, but if you can only get a 1d block on the guy, then strip ball is infinitely better. With tackle you'd have a 2/6 chance of removing the ball from his hands; with strip ball, you'd double your chances to 4/6, even better if you have a rr. Doesn't really matter if you can't pick the ball up immediately; often it's more important to simply get the ball out of his hands, even if you leave it laying on the ground with a couple tz's around it. You can't grab, but then you force him to take chances to regain the ball, and the more chances he has to take, the more chances he has to make a mistake. Besides, for agi 3 to pick up the ball is 3+; in a single tz, 4+; with surehands, this means you'll still be able to grab the ball 75% of the time, so the double-punch combo of strip ball/sure hands is viable. Do think the surehands is better on ghouls, as their blodge combined with surehands can allow them to run the ball downfield safer than a wight can. Plus a surehanded ghoul can pickup the ball 75% of the time in a single tz and dodge away 86% of the time (or close to these numbers)...

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh. My ghouls (even the blodging ghouls) tend to die before they get to a second skill. Which may speak to my failings as a coach more than the nature of ghouls...

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem, though, is that strip ball is better than tackle only in this situation - i.e When you are blitzing a ball carrier who doesn't have sure hands and you can't get a 2d block. I've been dissappointed in strip ball as a skill choice - it just doesn't make a difference very often in the games that I've played. Tackle, on the other hand, is useful whenever you are playing a team that has a player with dodge - and it's essential when your opponent has multiple blodgers.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I've found strip ball to be agonizingly useful when used against me in the past. 1/3 of every die is pushbacks, and the number of times I've pushed a ballcarrier on a 2db is much, much higher than the number of times I've "dodged" a ballcarrier on a 2db. When I'm up against most of the other teams in my league (DElf, Rotters, Dwarves, Helves and 'Flings) the strip ball seemed like it'd be much more useful...against the first three teams, anyway.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience, the number of sure-handed ball carriers is amazingly few. Far, far more common is for people to give the ball to the guy they want to have score right away, and try to cage him downfield. Or, they have their thrower sit way back, then toss downfield at first opportunity. Either way, the chances of your strip-baller getting near a surehanded player is low, so he's going to be useful all the time. Granted, tackle has much broader application, but how often are you going to hit that blodger even with tackle and get merely pushbacks, rr, pushbacks? He still has the ball, and next turn dodges away for an easy score. But if you have stripball, then it's out of his hands and a whole new ball game. I don't advocate everybody take it over tackle, no sir. But a healthy mix of tackle/stripball will keep even blodgers wary of which player they happen to be next to. And in those cases where you hit 2d block against (such as gutters hitting str 3+, going after bulls, or the ballboy next to guards) then stripball will become invaluable. It's a very undervalued skill for what it does, IMHO.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2005 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

One more vote for Tackle here. Strip Ball on MA 6 AG 3 players always sucked for me, Tackle is so much better for such players. Very Happy
 Jump to: