80 coaches online • Server time: 23:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wizard

Post   Posted: May 11, 2005 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

In my oppinion that is the end of days for blood bowl, since the free download of the latest rules revived it from virtuall non existence a couple of years ago.

As long as fumbbl is around (ie. Christer dosn't get sick of us), the game will live on for ever
We can just privatly exchange the LRB amongst each other - i have about 4 copies around my 3 hard drives - and 2 copies of all of the client/roster builders etc.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2005 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizard wrote:
As long as fumbbl is around (ie. Christer dosn't get sick of us), the game will live on for ever
We can just privatly exchange the LRB amongst each other - i have about 4 copies around my 3 hard drives - and 2 copies of all of the client/roster builders etc.

I beg to differ. I'm not gonna moralize about "u have to own a legal copy" etc. But fumbbl alone cant keep bb-alive. The game needs develoment and promotion IRL. As long as they make new ed. available on print by buying manual only (=u can use old board etc). its fine by me - actually I would rather buy a good copy of LRB as it is now than print it out myself. Unfortunately my only option is to buy the whole pack again, and prob. with an outdated rulebook (or am I wrong here?).
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 11, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

have u considered an alternative perspective? if u have a look at the white dwarf editions, they still have the same photo of jervis johnson that that had like 10 years ago. i'd reckon he is slowly getting too old and tired for this, and possibly getting rdy to retire... anyone seen him up close in the last 1-2 years to answer that?

if the LRB is coming off the internet, it might mean that they intend to close the internet market altogether, pbem, java, u name it... then again, i tend to be a doomsayer, so don't get worried... i just expect the worst to perpetually be pleasantly surprised at life!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: May 11, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm isn't it online bloodbowl that has increased the popularity of the game? Fumbbl made me start playing the game again after a long pause. This led me to showing some new people the game which in turn have caused us to play a tabletop league every summer when everyone is home from their college-cities. We have bought 10 teams and a box since I started my fumbbl- carrier...

I think GW should think about what have kept bloodbowl flourishing despite no support from them.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2005 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

agreed, at the fumbbl_academy we often have ppl just starting out... but corporations have the amazing knack to slaughter their cash cows by accident... lets hope fummbl stays forever, and increases the popularity more Smile

as a teacher *cough* i have failed miserably in getting ANY teenagers into it so far... ah well... next school year i'll try again!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 04:32 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
have u considered an alternative perspective? if u have a look at the white dwarf editions, they still have the same photo of jervis johnson that that had like 10 years ago. i'd reckon he is slowly getting too old and tired for this, and possibly getting rdy to retire... anyone seen him up close in the last 1-2 years to answer that?

He's in his 40's so retirement is a way off yet.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 06:57 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Sorry, but in my opinion, the vault sucks. More cons than pros. Only 2 changes should be made on this edition:
1) A tiered handicap table (proposed on TBB).
2) A harsher ref. Just add a modifier to the ref-roll depending on the injury caused by the foul
+1 for a KO
+2 for a BH/SI
+3 for a RIP

6+ on the ref-roll is ejection.
9+ on the ref-roll is MNG
11+ on the ref-roll means the ref send him off and the player gets lynched by the opposing fans ->RIP.

Get the Ref gives +2 on argue the call.

Hmm, intersting opinion. But you're wrong on all counts. next?
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 06:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
Sorry, but in my opinion, the vault sucks. More cons than pros. Only 2 changes should be made on this edition:
2) A harsher ref. Just add a modifier to the ref-roll depending on the injury caused by the foul
+1 for a KO
+2 for a BH/SI
+3 for a RIP

11+ on the ref-roll means the ref send him off and the player gets lynched by the opposing fans ->RIP.

Hmm, interesting opinion. But you're wrong on all counts. next?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
Snappy_Dresser wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
+1 for a KO
+2 for a BH/SI
+3 for a RIP

Hmm, interesting opinion. But you're wrong on all counts. next?

Quoting yourself neither improves your arguments nor makes you sound convincing. Oh.. wait... you have no arguments - too bad...
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

/me gets the fire extinguisher...

seriously guys, this doesnt help anyone.

there is a raving lunatic posting over at BB.com hurling abuse and insults and whatnot. We dont want this to be the sequel Wink

What JJ is trying to say is that there are more people who play BB than just FUMBBL'ers. People who play happily with their 3rd edition and are happy. They dont surf the net and dont know about the LRB. This is fine. Some of my friends are like that, great players, but havent played in a few years but are keen to start up a league again, just that time and women are keeping them back! also a good dedicated commish!

What im getting at is, I would be most happy if we were able to get a glossy rulebook, with playtesting to avoid errors/bugs, with nice pics, tactics, and some houserules and some articles as to how you can make your own pitches/scenery. I would have no hesitation in buying it. The non internet users also would see the new rulebook in the shops and rekindle their interest in the gam, so it is not all doom and gloom as some folk are making out.

FUMBBL is a great advertisement for BB, but i will add that TT is much better, several friends i introduced to this site, having never played a game of BB, and they bought skaven teams and high elves ad a boxed game so that wasnt all that bad! But still, there are a lot of "internet gamers" who find fumbbl by chance and come to fumbbl and play, never have any minis or played TT, yet try to shape the rules when the format that should be considered is TT Bloodbowl. online BB wont make GW any money, and JavaBB isnt even a LRB compliant game (scoring on OFAB, missing handicaps). FUMBBL is great, but its no substitute for the real thing, i wish i had more time to play TT Sad

Legally, you should have a copy of the boxed game, or at least used to have a copy, if you want to play here. Many do, but a lot dont, which are often the silent majority "internet gamer" types.

If the Rulebook is to be sold separately and is good/bug free, then i have no problems with it. Folk spend so much free time here i doubt they will mind spending £10 on a professional rulebook to use! There will always be FAQ's/pdf copies of rulebooks, but you wont download them if you are morally challenged, but if you are ok with it then you will download them!
ZevinzeNompardi

Post   Posted: May 12, 2005 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

hello everybody.

rob is right, let's stay calm.
in the very same post jervis speaks of selling new 16 players cases with lots of positionals, adding rules and stars and teams, though without modifing the existing, published rules.
this won't mean any bb death as long as we play it!

rob is right too when he comes to speak of the importance of the TT.
that's bloodbowl, after all, with your painted minis and the like.
this is a so marvellous-so confortable-so easy substitute where we play he most of our games.
and it would not have existed nor exist without the TT game.

on the rules: everybody has something that do not like in this game:
i find that the saurus are too strong, somebody doesn't like the way in which you can make an abuse of fouling with DP, somebody thinks that a vampire should have the chance of scoring before going out for blood lust in the next drive, as he/she scores before the time in which it would be turnover not to bite.
but the simply fact that we are here posting means we enjoy playing, and we are here thanks to that.
this is the reason the game will live on:!
we enjoy it, we enjoy playing and we find people that likes o play the game with us, as it is or with some different accents that we enjoy to.
fumbbl is great in this, and has room to everybody (playing ranked or unrunked-tournaments is very different and to different style, but that's just mean more possibilities!).

one last thing: do the GW know that one of the thing i enjoy most of bloodbowl is converting their 16 miniatures plastic boxes to bloodbowl teams? how to tell them that half my lifetime expense in buying WF and W40K regiments and blisters were to make up my bloodbowl teams?

thank you, bye!
 Jump to: