82 coaches online • Server time: 21:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What improvement should Esralafar get:
+ MA
36%
 36%  [ 47 ]
Guard
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
JumpUp
18%
 18%  [ 24 ]
Mighty Blow
27%
 27%  [ 35 ]
Frenzy
11%
 11%  [ 15 ]
Other (state below)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 129

Macavity

Post   Posted: May 16, 2005 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, some things can't be improved on. I felt the same way about Sunchips.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2005 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I opted for frenzy. You've already got the +MA blitzer as it is, frenzy can often be underestimated especially with ST4 and leap, and you've still got 2 more skill rolls to get dodge and side step to make him an absolute beauty. Not only that but to have multiple frenzy players on a team can allow the odd cheeky 1 turn push play touch down that can win you the game.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2005 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

On another topic...How can one get these magical items? In ranked division? How?
Gumbo

Post   Posted: May 16, 2005 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

tourney prizes. Or regular felatio of head commishes, but more likely the former

Post   Posted: May 16, 2005 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it'd have to be a lot better than regular to get one of those babies...

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got to say Jump-up of Frenzy.

Jump-Up is a great skill which would allow him to blitz anywhere in the half he's in, even if he's down.. Can only be nice on a 4 st leaping player.

Frenzy for the cage breaking skills. Leap into 3 tackle zones, block, block, and if the ball carrier is still standing then you get to block them outside the cage after you've pushed them clear. Elves MUST improve their cage breaking skill at every opportunity..
Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, what a load of crap advice! Razz

+MA is a waste of a double, cmon.

Frenzy or jump up? He can have 2 witches that start with those skills.... true av9 JU is freaky, but what extra ability is it giving the team? (as opposed to playing the team to build up one pony).

This leaves:

1. Guard. with str 4 av9 he can survive in a scrum where it will be useful. Down side is you are placing the player where he will get blocked. Not what you want.

2. Mighty blow. This skill on an elf team is a pretty big blitzing target (at least for me), so str 4 av9 helps protect your main bashing player. Down side is he will slowly generate spp whether you want him too, or not.

Myself I'd take mb.
Headjuanter

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't take Guard, because he'll blitz most turns, not support the blitz. Don't take Jump Up because that'll make him a target for even more fouls (I mean, he'll get fouled anyway, but Jump Up just asks for it). Don't take MB because you really don't want Ageing. Don't take Frenzy because you're Dark Elf and you'll get two frenzied Witches. Take the +MA, because Dark Elves are not really a fast team and it is especially the Blitzers where +MA will often come in handy... or take Strip Ball or Dodge.
Nordmark

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
Wow, what a load of crap advice!

How can peoples opinions on what style suits for them be crap? Personally I actually think all the suggestions made here can work. It depends on what CL want to do with him and how he want´s to use this rising star. How do you know that your way is the right? There are a lot of combinations with skills in this game, one nastier than the other. That´s also a reason why people have a lot of opinions about skills because many consider not only what to take now but what to take later.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

headjuanter sums it up quite good. but if you want him to play most effective i would still take mb although he might age soon. on the other hand if you want him to play as much games as possible don´t take mb and take +ma instead because +ma definatly is better than jump up in my oppinion. guard would be the worst choice i think.
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for Mighty Blow, for these reasons.

(1) Elves in general need help in evening out the amount of people on each side. Having a st4 mighty blow player can help keep things even, or even give your side a player advantage in some cases.
(2) Guard is used best by people who have nothing better to do, like linemen. This guy definitely has better things to do. He'll be the one doing the hitting, not the assisting.
(3) Although the extra move is nice, if you keep this guy in the middle of the field he'll still be able to reach anyone he needs to hit from sideline to sideline.
(4) Jump up is good for people who spend a lot of time on their backs. My guess is that this guy won't be in that position very often, so it's a less useful skill.
(5) While frenzy has its advantages, sometimes frenzy leaves you out of position for other things. The automatic follow-up can be a strategic disadvantage for someone who will spend the rest of his career with a target on his back.

All this IMHO, of course.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Nordmark wrote:
Britnoth wrote:
Wow, what a load of crap advice!

How can peoples opinions on what style suits for them be crap? Personally I actually think all the suggestions made here can work. It depends on what CL want to do with him and how he want´s to use this rising star. How do you know that your way is the right? There are a lot of combinations with skills in this game, one nastier than the other. That´s also a reason why people have a lot of opinions about skills because many consider not only what to take now but what to take later.

It's got nothing to do with style, it is about not taking skills the team already has for free, or even taking +ma and wasting a double. He already has a sprint leap strip ball blitzer, 2 guard elves and 1 witch, if anyone even bothered to look at the whole team not just 1 player and obsess about getting him to 1000 spp.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for Guard. That way he will let all the other Elves spp faster on LoS while attacking, helping also in defending LoS. Your guys will live longer this way.

He can still Blitz, even though he has Guard. Personally, I like to blitz the carrier with a guard player. Just imagine: if the blitz results in a mere pushback, you have most likely surrounded the cage and have a +ST Guard guy in the middle. Smile

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... it´s really interesting following the discussion... to my surprise, mighty blow is so popular - it was my least favoured option before I read all the arguments here. Now it´s a close toss-up between +MA and MB, while my favoured option before, Jump Up, is now only a distant 3rd. I guess we can drop frenzy for now..
Nordmark

Post   Posted: May 17, 2005 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
It's got nothing to do with style, it is about not taking skills the team already has for free, or even taking +ma and wasting a double. He already has a sprint leap strip ball blitzer, 2 guard elves and 1 witch, if anyone even bothered to look at the whole team not just 1 player and obsess about getting him to 1000 spp.

Actually it´s got a lot to do with style. All the options can be useful. I agree n you that MB would be the best choice for him but the other alternatives ain´t crap. Just because witches start with frenzy and jump up doesn´t mean that it´s a total waste on a blitzer. Besides, you can never have too much guard. Either way hé will surely help the team.