31 coaches online • Server time: 02:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The conversations seem to be endless. 1 minuite everyones moaning about excessive fouling, then elves that only play elves, then 1 turners, then its coaches who "cherry pick" their way to the top...... etc etc

when did it stop just being a game? why cant we just play the way we want to (within the rules) and stop worrying what everyone else does?

if you find someone you dont enjoy playing why not just walk away from it, make a mental note not to play them again and get on with playing the 1000's of other coaches?

why the blacklists? why the whining in chat? the constant moaning? the treads that end in flame wars?

i love this game and i think im as passionate about it as most people here but it is, and will always be, just a game.
love it. play it. get over it.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

because everyone thinks their voice and opinion is right and should be heard Rolling Eyes
Trog

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

As my grandmother used to say, "Opinions are like -holes, everybody has one, and it usually stinks."

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

hear hear
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

blizzt95 wrote:
because everyone thinks their voice and opinion is right and should be heard Rolling Eyes

im not denying everyones right to express their views. thats not what gets to me. im fed up of all the people who seem to think their view on things is the only valid one. the people who play a game that they claim to love but seem to go out of their way to create unplesentness out of it.

i know whining about the whiners is stupid and hypocritical but i'll be gone soon and i'd like to think that if i do ever come back the whole thing wont have devolved into non-stop bickering

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
i'll be gone soon and i'd like to think that if i do ever come back the whole thing wont have devolved into non-stop bickering

you're leaving? why?
Azurus

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think we did stop having fun, not in general anyway. I certainly haven't.

The problem is that different people have differing idea of what fun is. Sometimes they lead to matchups where it's almost impossible for both coaches to have fun at once. So people try to choose matches they think they'll enjoy, which of course is a good thing.

Sadly, some people can only enjoy a game when they win, and others can only enjoy a game if they know their opponent isn't enjoying it. It's a weakness of the internet that these people have to be put up with (I know most RL leagues don't put up with it).

Hopefully people will eventually come round to the idea that their idea of fun isn't the same as everyone else's. Sure, it will always lead to a bad game every now and again, but IMO that's a small price to pay for enjoying the rest of your games.

Play your own way, and have fun doing it.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I call it venting. Venting turns into whining when reason is ignored.

paul, I focus on the few good coaches here that make the game fun, rather than the ones with 80+ % win percentages that try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

i hope you get the iorny of a thread moaning about moaners....

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Over 500 games played, and I'm still having fun. It can be good to take a break ocassionally, though.
ChrisB

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Play U then theres no real reason to cherrypick. just abandon R.
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I use a blacklist because:
a. My memory sucks
b. I play from several different machines
c. My game count is embarassingly high, and I've run into several I don't want to play again.

I would love nothing more than to make it private, and I've even offered my .php skills to make this an integrated feature (although I can understand if Christer doesn't want to open up the fumbbl code base to just anyone).

I honestly don't think much has changed during my time here Paulhicks. The vast majority of people on this site are out for a good time.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizard wrote:
i hope you get the iorny of a thread moaning about moaners....

paulhicks wrote:
i know whining about the whiners is stupid and hypocritical but i'll be gone soon and i'd like to think that if i do ever come back the whole thing wont have devolved into non-stop bickering

Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe... paul. focus on the good peeps, like euuuh... for example brownrob! And ignore cherrypicking, whining, Stupid people like me!

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

ChrisB wrote:
Play U then theres no real reason to cherrypick. just abandon R.

Hear hear, if you want to have fun and play vs fun and good coaches all the time, stick to U and the many excellent tournaments.
 Jump to: