15 coaches online • Server time: 05:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's turn Paulhicks' frown upside down!

(insert barfy smiley here)

Okay, cheese aside, Paul's thread in this forum raises lots of good points about how FUMBBL can be not-fun, which often has to do with people taking things too seriously.

I only have time for 2 or 3 FUMBBL games a week, so I like to make sure they'll be enjoyable. Here are a few tips for young and old alike:

- Join a couple of leagues. Every league has a few sourpusses, but you're guaranteed a range of opponents (no cherrypicking or 800 "want to play my Dorfs?" requests for your 'zons every 30 seconds).

- Actively seek out people whose forum posts tickle your funnybone and see if they're up for a game. Some day I will play Macavity and he will defeat me. But it will be funny.

- With "blind" games, look for people with good fun fluff. If I have to choose between two teams, I'd rather play vs. the Famous Midgets Of Filmdom and get blitzed by Willow, Dancing Twin Peaks Dwarf, Sampson and various Time Bandits than have a game against the Killerzz and a team that is obviously just the first eleven names in the phone book.

- When things are going badly for you, try to remember that it's really kind of funny. When things are going badly for your opponent, commiserate!

FLAWS IN THIS PLAN:

Obviously it's English-centric. I'm sure there are loads of awesome coaches that are shy about forum posts because their English isn't top-notch, and don't have team fluff I can understand because I don't speak the lingo.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

It's easy to have fun out here. If you learn to laugh when your whole armor 9 team gets beat down by Wood Elves, or maybe when you roll double one GFI and your star player dies and your apoth rolls the dreaded one. It's all for the cause which is ... wait a second what the hell is the cause. I don't even know why I play, outside of meeting cool characters like Paulhicks who is always willing to play my dwarves cuz he wants to kill Dragon "Fly", or people with a knack for witty comments like Macavity, or even people like Shepherd whos MANMAN comic has helped me enjoy many hours of work that otherwise would have been boring.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Read match reports. They often tell if your opponent's view of the game is based on chantings like:
"omg u luck too much i hate u n00b"
"I've never had so much bad luck before" (for the 10th time in 12 games)
"MuhahaHAAAAAA r0xxorflol"

Challenge the coaches who write matchreports you find funny - they'll usually give you a game you find funny.
Slick

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

It also helps if you sit around and write silly bios for your themed teams. Such as this one for my Supa Boyz: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=160344 .

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

It also helps if suddenly everyone seems to think you are fun. What did I do?!??!?!

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Or the one for my No Silly Ogres.

[/complacency] Smile
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Fun also happens by making teams that should lose and playing them in Ranked where everyone wants a piece of them. I am (despite appearances) highly competitive, so maintaining a record with my no-tree flings where the total number of wins and ties outnumbers the loses, so I say t omyself "Damn you're a great coach, Macavity" and I'm not even winning!!! Play to prove something to yourself, not to others.... and make people eat Goldfish Crackers!!!!!!!

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd wrote:
- Join a couple of leagues. Every league has a few sourpusses, but you're guaranteed a range of opponents (no cherrypicking or 800 "want to play my Dorfs?" requests for your 'zons every 30 seconds).

Yeah, leagues in which you cannot cherrypick are incredibly cool, as long as they are properly managed, that is. Wink

If you got more time, join faction. Nothing cooler when to play derbies against coaches you got "used to". Very Happy
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

mmmm....perfect blend of cheese and salt

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

"Bet you can't eat just one!"

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

been good so far

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

but one is so unsatisfying....

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently eating goldfish while you play is an important part of having fun here on Fumbbl.
So when in doubt,
dont eat trout,
if fun is what you wish,
eat some smiley goldfish.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Slick, this is all based on the fact that Ark wants to eat my avatar... so he eats a golfish cracker everytime I post! (possibly the only person who wants me to post more!)

Last edited by Macavity on %b %19, %2005 - %16:%May; edited 1 time in total
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 19, 2005 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Smiley fish, in me belly ye go
Tis Macavity, that tells me so