18 coaches online • Server time: 04:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is this good
Ye
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Na
67%
 67%  [ 54 ]
Maybe
22%
 22%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 80

Christer

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 16:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Wukong wrote:
Mully wrote:
Lets get rid of coach ranking all together and take away a primary reason for power gamers to cherry pick.

An added bonus is you eliminate these types of threads.

Here, here!

Best suggestion yet!

If you feel this way, play in unranked and let those who care play in [R]. Why bother with complaint posts?
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Because it's so much harder to get a game in unranked. I just looked at gamefinder... 53 teams in ranked, 19 in unranked. When I'm online at night, usually it's 10-15 ranked, 0-3 unranked. We play ranked because we want to play *something*. We complain because we know it could be better, but we can't really do anything about it.
Pau

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

This must be the only game I don't care if I win or loss because of my fault. But thats because I care alot about developing a team, I love getting spps and making my team more and more powerful.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Wukong wrote:
Mully wrote:
Lets get rid of coach ranking all together and take away a primary reason for power gamers to cherry pick.

An added bonus is you eliminate these types of threads.

Here, here!

Best suggestion yet!

If you feel this way, play in unranked and let those who care play in [R]. Why bother with complaint posts?

Because you force your set of gaming ideas (CR) onto everyone else. You cannot get many games in unranked; this is a direct result of your efforts to direct coaches from the other leagues to the flawed ranked one. While you ignore the flaws in it, and ignore ways to improve it. You also fail to address the blatant and extreme chery picking that goes on to create hugely inflated CR and team records, in fact you deny it even goes on.

Many coaches are sick of ranked how it is, but are just stuck with it as the other divisions have been systematically exterminated.
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:

Because you force your set of gaming ideas (CR) onto everyone else. You cannot get many games in unranked; this is a direct result of your efforts to direct coaches from the other leagues to the flawed ranked one. While you ignore the flaws in it, and ignore ways to improve it. You also fail to address the blatant and extreme chery picking that goes on to create hugely inflated CR and team records, in fact you deny it even goes on.

Many coaches are sick of ranked how it is, but are just stuck with it as the other divisions have been systematically exterminated.

That's quite harsh. I don't give a hoot about Coach rating, and play in ranked. Let people get their own fun in the game. some will try to get high CR, others just play for fun, some find their enjoyment in cherrypicking so they win lots... But don't blame the person making it all possible. (well, him and skijunkie offcourse, and the now currently dead Mr-Klipp, where is klipp anyways?)

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ignoring CR still leaves the division full of spp-farmed players on the top 10 lists.
Pmg

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Blaming the lack of interest in unranked division on christer's efforts seems utterly absurd. Most people like playing games to win (isn't that the entire point) and like to see their effort recognized. Building teams up to 400 st after playing 500 games with it and losing half is something my 5 year old cousin could do. Playing a game that matters for nothing, (u) is the perfect excuse to ruin one hour of your oponent's time, with pointless moves, fouls or entire games. My experiences in Unranked were one worst after the other, with no good matches whatsoever. Ranked tournaments are the soul of fumbbl, and so is the ranked division, as you can see in every single oficial fumbbl tourney.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Pmg wrote:
Blaming the lack of interest in unranked division on christer's efforts seems utterly absurd. Most people like playing games to win (isn't that the entire point) and like to see their effort recognized. Building teams up to 400 st after playing 500 games with it and losing half is something my 5 year old cousin could do. Playing a game that matters for nothing, (u) is the perfect excuse to ruin one hour of your oponent's time, with pointless moves, fouls or entire games. My experiences in Unranked were one worst after the other, with no good matches whatsoever. Ranked tournaments are the soul of fumbbl, and so is the ranked division, as you can see in every single oficial fumbbl tourney.

LMAO!
Ranked tournaments are just a huge CR boost for a handful of coaches. Win 2-3 games and watch it shoot up 15 points. Of the games I spectated, they were full of unbalanced match-ups and bad play. 250 STR chaos vs 120 str halflings anyone?

If you think it is so easy to build a team upto 400 STR, go ahead and do it. Razz
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth wrote:
Ignoring CR still leaves the division full of spp-farmed players on the top 10 lists.

So, your blaming cr on spp farmed players??? Believe me, past 200 spp any player will COST you cr. since you protect him over winning games, you don't take risks you would normally take because he is "special" and you get low income. spp farmed players are made by dedicated coaches who don't care about cr that much. Unfortunately, i retired my wh'ine because i hate losing. and losing all the games just ruins the fun for me!

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

No im saying cherry picking creates both an inflated CR and inflated uninjured players in the top 10 lists, as to build a player up that high and keep winning you need to play down repeatedly.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Brit:
I don´t get it. Why do you hate the CR so much? Do you think, it´s the only reason people care about their players?
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of us hate CR so much because there are unscrupulous ways to get yours higher. There are some coaches with high CR for whom less than 20% of their matches would be considered challenging. If I understand properly, ranked is supposed to be about who is the best coach, not who is the best match scheduler.

I only look at CR to see if it is really high or really low. If it is really high, then I look at the matches played to see if this person is a legit good coach or a cherry picker. If it is really low, then I look to see if this person is a legit poor coach or a team killer who doesn't care if he wins or not.

CR isn't bad, but to some people it is more important than it should be, IMHO.
Squaq

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

So what if CR is flawed? - it works the same for all coaches and dont we all play for fun? Some coaches have fun getting players 1000+ spps and others in picking games that will give them a reasonable chance of getting dCR. Others having the objective of beeing the most deadly.

Everytime anyone tries to break the limit there are people who dont acknowledge the achievement by claiming the system is flawed.
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Squaq wrote:
So what if CR is flawed? - it works the same for all coaches and dont we all play for fun?

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most of us at one time or another have run into someone who has demonstrated his arseness by:

(1) fouling on turn 1 or 16,
(2) ignoring the ball and trying to kill your players,
(3) disconnecting when you hurt his star player, or
(4) complaining incessantly about his horrible luck/your incredible luck when an objective observer would note things are relatively even.

The first two are examples of someone whose idea of fun is much different than mine. The second two is someone who is so wrapped up in the game that they make it impossible for me to have fun with it. I believe I deserve to enjoy my game, and I don't want it ruined by someone who is a poor loser or someone who is more interested in disabling my team than beating it. I'd rather lose 5-0 than win 2-1 but suffer 6 casualties. And anyone who has played me would know that I never blame the dice for my poor luck. It's always the stupid elves, or the stupid minotaur, etc.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

mstrchef13 wrote:
Squaq wrote:
So what if CR is flawed? - it works the same for all coaches and dont we all play for fun?

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Most of us at one time or another have run into someone who has demonstrated his arseness by:

(1) fouling on turn 1 or 16,
(2) ignoring the ball and trying to kill your players,

dont asume that everyone who likes to foul lots and team kill is an arse. just cuz someone finds fun in a different way to you is no need for insults Smile
many players who like bloody games try to find ones where their players are at risk too. after all its more fun to be involved in an all out foulfest where both teams get mashed than just to bash someone who doesnt stand a chance. it gives you the chance to hear the kill sound more times Very Happy