42 coaches online • Server time: 14:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I really like BB, and I'm ... intrigued ... by the idea of larger-scale GW games. But somewhat intimidated and terrified by them, too. Are there any BB-type Java services that I could mess about with just to try to get a feel for the game?

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

none that i know of except for space hulk... but honestly... i used to love 40k second ed, but these new eds just ruined all the fun... warhammer fantasy battle on the other hand, that got really better with the last edition, i can only wholeheartedly recommend it to you...
thesquig

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience 40k is a game for really young kids and powergamers. However if you play it within a group of friends it can be like any other game. Although I'd say its slightly more competative in nature than BB.

Garaygos

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't say I like the way 40k is evolving myself... they're basically letting you pick the army you want and modify the way you like - which 99% of the time transaltes into "hey I like the idea of having a kick a$$ army that blasts my enemies into tiny bits (in thy mercy) with uber powerful weapons of mass destruction or ripping you into shreds in hand to hand". Warhammer fantasy is more balanced (even tho the annoying skavens and other st00pid armies are always there), I would suggest it more.

As far as I know, there is no Java-warhammer, tho. Videogames exist tho that are set in the warhammer world (40k or fantasy).

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Java warhammer would be a bit more tricky, since they don't have squares like bloodbowl in those games. Manowar was neat and Mordheim gets points for allowing you to develop your warband. I never got into those "let's put together an army and fight just because" kind of games like warhammer 40k or fantasy, though.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I pretty much like 40k. Esp fun if you play in a small group or gaming club as stated before that allow some of the forgeworld stuff , like those valkyrie gunships, my plan was to do a Imp guard air cav army ,mounted in those ( of course it would be completly un official).
Afaik the only other gw game ive seen a java version of was spacehulk.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Better have a lot of spare cash if you plan to get into 40k...
Flynn

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

make sure before you decide to take up 40k that you LOVE to argue

Goodbye Cusi
ozjesting

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Not GW but I believe it is done by people who used to work for GW. And I have only seen it played at conventions as opposed to playing myself...but I am most intrigued by "Warmachines". Scale of models is slightly larger for painty godness, they look awesome..and the amount of stuff needed seems MUCH less than 40K or Fantasy Battle.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

40K is like any other game, it's only as good as the people you play against. If you are interested, what I would do is ask around until you find the local hobby store where people play 40K, then stop in a few times while they play. Ask questions, talk to the people, and generally get an impression of the environment. (The same store that plays 40K probably also plays fantasy, war machine, and other games too, if they're any good.) After you've gone once or twice, decide whether you like the people, then decide what game intrigues you the most.
Wizard

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd - i would prefer a herion addiction than 40k
It will suck all your money out of the bank on little plastic and metal men
And you will become sick and twisted on the inside while you strive to pound the hell out of little 12 year old nerds at the local GW

At least herion is fun for the first 6-7 hours....
And you won't get chicks playin 40k Wink

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I would argue that particular point, there's lots of hot geek girls out there. Wink
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Cute Women? Playing 40K? I think not my friend. The only women to grace a Games Workshop store are the 40k players moms.

BURN!
Jazz

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all: funny that most of you here think 40K is the worst of the two. In my experience, the Warhammer Fantasy world is populated by powergamers and broken rules, not the other way around. Must be a local thing.

Having said that, I have the following advice:
Whatever you do, make sure to talk to people first before you make a choice for either game. Both are really expensive and it would be a shame if you spent a lot of money on a game that turns out to be something that you do not like. The same goes for picking an army. Each has it's own look and feel. Make sure you pick one that suites your style of play.

As a last remark: why the hell would you want to play another GW game? Wink
BB is the best game they ever made (with Spacehulk a good second.) Sure, they probably are the most widely spread. The argument of having a large community to play against is a very valid one.

But I would also recommend checking out some of the games of other compagnies. There are some very good games out there. One of my personal favorites, cheaper to step into, with magnificient miniatures and no expensive books to buy (rules are just as extensive as GW games, but are included in a small booklet, like those little cardgame rulebooks, in the blister).

Confrontation

Check out the following links:
http://www.newwave.org/minis/rackham/englishconfrontation/barbarians.html

Jazz
Jazz

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

And Confrontation has nice chick miniatures too.....

http://www.newwave.org/minis/rackham/confrontation/barbarians/color/bach03.jpg

Jazz
 Jump to: