32 coaches online • Server time: 10:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
we have an awful lot of data in the fumbbl database ... if someone clever enough were to put some time into it, I'm sure we could do some analysis of wins/losses of the various teams and skills, and make use of that in determining a 'more accurate' TS rating system. Might take a bit of work though Wink

I've done some analysis on 64,000 games played on fumbbl during 2003.

The only significant predictors (in order of importance) of winning are:

Luck Meter Differential
Coach Ranking Differential
Cas Differential

Race, Matchup etc. all contribute nothing in both a log regression and a discriminant analysis. Obviously this grouping of races in one datapoint covers up the ineptitude of teams such as gobs and flings but overall there seems to be little difference between the races.

From my discussions with Christer many moons ago the database with the player skills included is insanely large to get enough games (a couple hundred) so I'm not sure that is a workable data set.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:

Luck Meter Differential
Cas Differential

Yes, those are exactly the significant ones, because if you are lucky, your opponent does funny things, like forgetting were he scores (difficult, but I keep trying) and you manage to make him kill all his players tripping while dodging and going for it (I nearly did that once) you are probably winning no matter who has the +37 TS (ranked, in unranked it can be even better) advantage.
Dreamsplitter

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

um... the luckmeter really wouldnt show an opp forgetting to score Smile
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
Laviak wrote:
we have an awful lot of data in the fumbbl database ... if someone clever enough were to put some time into it, I'm sure we could do some analysis of wins/losses of the various teams and skills, and make use of that in determining a 'more accurate' TS rating system. Might take a bit of work though Wink

Luck Meter Differential
Cas Differential

Race, Matchup etc. all contribute nothing in both a log regression and a discriminant analysis. Obviously this grouping of races in one datapoint covers up the ineptitude of teams such as gobs and flings but overall there seems to be little difference between the races.

From my discussions with Christer many moons ago the database with the player skills included is insanely large to get enough games (a couple hundred) so I'm not sure that is a workable data set.

could I take a look on this. That luck meter has an influence on winning percentage is clear. CR diff also.

about race I am more sceptic. The team has IMO an influence but here you hide it that possiblely other influence such as str diff, TR diff and CR diff. You need to make some discriminant analysis with those factors considered as stable.

I would like to take a look on it after all.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot TS btw... it is between Coach Rating and Cas... needless to say TR means nothing...

sk8cn: I keep meaning to post this stuff on the blog I just need to spend an hour or so on it... I'll try for next week.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm if TR means nothing and TS is a major factor in winning and loosing. And people cherrypick in choosing teams with considerably higher TR but equal TS to get some handicaps, while playing an equal strong team then we should try to change handicaps in Ranked.

I dont know if this is a dumb idea but cant handicaps be coded over TS instead of TR??

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Telcontar wrote:
I dont know if this is a dumb idea but cant handicaps be coded over TS instead of TR??

Actually it would be very easy. The java client simply reads the TR on the computer generate rosters from Fumbbl. It would be a simple matter to switch the value being written to the file when they're generated.

However, it's been pointed out that the strength formula is not completely balanced. In my opinion, a few teams suffer especially from this. Lizardmen for example tend to be overvalued, while Vampires are a bit undervalued.

Another thing that is undervalued and under costed is High Armor. AV9 makes a big difference, especially for the teams that have a majority of players with it.

It would be interesting to playtest this kind of system in dX. Maybe go with the team value calculations from the vault, they're somewhat similar to TS calculation. Anyhow, there doesnt seem to be much work being done on improvement right now, but it's interesting to ponder...

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

at Telcontar: well other problem is: Fumbbl follows LRB and in LRB there is no str formula.

I like the idea of following as much as possible official rules. Even if it would make sense to change handicap, I would be against.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

worf, forgot to answer Bunny: I know you are graduate in Uni but I don't know in what kind of domain. I am statistician and follow pure math cursus. Usually, I don't go into numbers (e.g. CR formula) because maths are for work, fumbbl for fun (basically). But know that I see your post, I am getting curious. I would like to see the maths and interpretation that followed not the public version. Actually I want maths...

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

im a maths graduate too...

i however NEVER want to see maths again! *curses it all*

Confused Exclamation

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2005 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah... post the math. As a hobby math-freak and biologist I`d like to see the calcs, especially as I did an assay in school over statistics as an artform, interpreting the same numbers in oposite ways Very Happy
Pingo

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2005 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

i think the CR should be wiped every 6 months or so

still long enough to prove your worth, yet temporary to get some people to loosen up.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2005 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

No! I wanna see my CR rise mountain high!

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2005 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The point of the ELO system is that it stabilises your ranking over time. As such a wipe every six months is counter-productive.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2005 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

How very, very, very interesting,

When Christer asks you how ranked is, many of you have said it is A-OK, fine, no problems...

Yet when the next cherry picking thread appears, those ones will be the first to whinge about it with long tirades of text.

Is it cold feet? Or the fact one really can't justify whining about it at certain levels, e.g., Christer's level because they realise how petty it really is when viewed at that magnification?

e.g.,

Rich Westerner at resteraunt says angrily to his equally rich friend: "this Peking duck is a bit underdone, and the texture is lacking"
Homeless man who is walking past the outside tables: No good is it, sir?
Rich Westerner: (flushes red) No, actually it is very good, really.

(Please note, in no way am I implying that Christer is a homeless scavenger).

Jump to: