53 coaches online • Server time: 17:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Two questions:

Question 1) What is the FUMBBL site secondary criteria when pairing teams?

Example situation: there are 8 teams (called Team A, Team B, Team C etc.) with 3 points each...none of them has played each other yet. How does the FUMBBL site decide which team team A will play?

Is the pairing at equal points made according to

a) random selection (Team A plays versus a random opposing team with 3 points; either Team B, Team C, Team D, Team E, Team F, Team G or Team H)

b) alphabetical order (Team A plays Team B because they are the fist two teams in alphabetical order. Then Team C is paired versus Team D, Team E versus Team F and Team G versus Team H)

c) Tam Rating (Team A playes versus the team with closest Team rating to their own)

d) something really weird I haven't even thought of (=something very FUMBBL -like, as sometimes there is just no apparent logic in the user interface) Razz

Question 2) How can I choose the secondary criteria which best fits my tournament?

I would really, REALLY love to make a Swiss tournament which uses team rating as the secondary criteria when pairing teams. This way I could have 20x TR 100 and 20x TR ~150 teams in the same tournament. In the beginning, TR ~150 teams would play only versus other TR ~150 teams and TR 100 teams only other TR 100 teams. Eventually they would mix up together so that highest TRs (180 or so) still play versus other high TR teams but the teams in the middle would play versus each other. This way after three rounds or so TR ~160 (=lowest of the teams which used to be in the TR ~150 group) would play versus TR ~130 (= highest of the teams which used to be in the TR 100 group). This minimizes the gap between TR 100 group and TR ~150 group really nicely. Coaches in each group would get new opponents from the other group and get to meet each other. There would be no need to keep the two tournaments separate.

I tried to search for this information from the User Guide using the keywoird "swiss" but found only these links:

http://fumbbl.com/help:Running+a+Tournament
http://fumbbl.com/help:Tournament+Structure

Neither one of them gives me the answer.

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I just found out the answer by creating a test group:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=2520

The answer is as follows: when points are even, the FUMBBL site pairs teams according to the teams' alphabetical order.

Now...How can I set this to random or team strength instead of alphabethical order?

Jump to: