110 coaches online • Server time: 22:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm running a new TT league ... or rather I'm the new league manager of our local TT league ... and I'm granting some bonus SP to kick-start the new league season off.

I've been thinking about adding a wrinkle where players can buy SP from other players in the pre-season start phase. I'll probably be granting 20 SP to each coach... what do you think a fair price for a point of SP would be?

Teams will still have to start with 11 players, no doubt, but it's an interesting idea to let players effectively try to "buy up" to a couple of skills and have less money for hiring, RR, FF, etc.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say 1 for 10,000. That way you (based on the human norm) are more or less trading a skill for a player. It sounds like a cool idea, let us know how it goes.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, 1 for 10k seems cool. Otherwise, I'd say 50k for a general skill, 70k for a strenght or agility skill, and 90k for a trait
(obviously, only skills and trait that CAN be picked up can be bought...
example: a human lino could buy sidestep for 90k (a trait), while a Wardancer would buy it for 70k. Strip Ball or Tackle would cost 50k for both.
No stat increases, tho.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just letting players sell their bonus SPs, and then if a player has enough to skill up, we roll for skills. And aging. Bwah ha ha.

1/$10K was what I was thinking of, too. I just wanted to see what other people said first.

To be clear, this is pre-season only. One-time offer.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I dunno, maybe 1 TR = 5 spp, like it says IN THE LRB??

Just a thought.
Brad

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In our RL league, we kept a bank of all previous playsheets from previous leagues / tournaments. This worked fairly well as we only ever had 4-8 coaches. As soon as one team was retired, the Players became availible on the open market, at their base cost + 2,5000gp per SPP. This meant people could effectively buy up experienced players with the first skill (normally block) from between 15-35k extra, whilst if anyone wanted to bring back players like;
"Lucky Phil" The WElf Catcher (10,2,6,7 Dodge, Catch, (+MA, Sprint, Diving Catch, +AG, +AG, Pass Block)) from his 161 SPP retirement would be up for a massive 492k.

We played any players with Niggles or Negatives never came back once their coach had retired the team, and if you are attempting to 'kick-start' your league, you might drop it down to 1-1.5k per SPP.

One interesting thing we found was that some coaches hunted down a lot of retired players with 1-5 SPPs, so that even after game 1, everyone had skilled at least once. (Works well for AG4 teams).

Brad

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

In the old days when we played the board BB we came to some 'local rules'.
One of the chapters was 'Transfer Value' (calculations were based on BB Star Players value).
Here is summary:

Skill 5,000 gps
Trait, Double 10,000 gps
MA 15,000 gps
ST 25,000 gps
AG 20,000 gps
AV 20,000 gps

Rookie None
Experienced None
Veteran 5,000 gps
Emerging Star 10,000 gps
Star Player 20,000 gps
Super-Star 30,000 gps
Mega Star 45,000 gps
Legend 60,000 gps

Niggling Injury -10,000 gps/per each

Secret Weapon
10+ 10,000 gps
9+ 15,000 gps
8+ 20,000 gps
7+ 25,000 gps

Example: Scouts have found the Ogre Star Player. Tests revealed that he has Smashed Hip (AG –1) – result of skirmish with a Rat Ogre few seasons ago which is the reason of niggling injury that came up last year. The player’s improvents are: ST +1, S. Firm, B. Tackle, Spike (Penalty Roll 10+ Secret Weapon).
Transfer value is: 120,000 (Rookie Ogre cost) + 20,000 (Star Player title) – 20,000 (Smashed Hip) – 10,000 (niggling injury) + 25,000 (ST +1) + 10,000 (S. Firm trait) + 5,000 (B. Tackle skill) + 10,000 (7+ Secret Weapon) = 160,000

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Plese be carefull and don't let people buy skills they ned a double(1/6 prob.) to have or make them really expensive, elves with guard are a precious few and must remain that way. Scarcity of doubles is part of the game.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Shepherd wrote:
I'm just letting players sell their bonus SPs, and then if a player has enough to skill up, we roll for skills. And aging. Bwah ha ha.

1/$10K was what I was thinking of, too. I just wanted to see what other people said first.

To be clear, this is pre-season only. One-time offer.

I think that answers your concern, Nin

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

My league has players that we can buy off free-agent list of past teams. We charge 2000 gp per spp so that the cost is = to TR.
If you raise the cost higher than that they're TR will go down after buying the player giving them handicaps to other team.

It has worked well for us....over 3 years now. Our only limitation is that teams over 151 TR can't buy players off the free-agent list.
skummy

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The famed "Bacardi" rule.
macike

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

nin wrote:
Plese be carefull and don't let people buy skills they ned a double(1/6 prob.) to have or make them really expensive[...]

Yes, you are definetly right.
In our case these rules were used to provide customized Star Players and Freebooters.
Furthermore 'market availabilty' was also resticted.