11 coaches online • Server time: 02:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Moxy

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2003 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The Farwood Fire mock the EMU and its cowardice. They offered a challenge and it would seem that all the big talk that the EMU did was just that. No one would step on the field with the Fire. So we now consider this union a joke.

Later you cowards

Moxy
gorritakid

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2003 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I'd like to thank Mr.Bunnypuncher for inventing the about most unneeded thing that FUMBBL ever has seen. Most people around here know I used to enjoy FUMBBL a lot, and liked the atmosphere around here.
Lately though it has become less and less fun for me, and a couple other coaches I still like to hang out with - the few that are left. The problem nowadays is that the only type of coach that you run in regularly are those building their teams solely about killing. Not scoring, but inflicting as many cassualties as possible. No fun. Not at all. Not even for you as the one doing the killing - close games always are more exciting.

Note: I only have one single elven team. But even with those non-elfish "more" bashy teams the games I'd enjoy playing become less and less - and I am beyond the point where I will agree to any matches that I don't want to play, anymore. I dropped my activity almost completly from the open format and will focus more and more on tournaments - if sticking around as a regular at all - I don't want to waste time on a community that sees the only fun in bloodbowl in the killing aspect and not in the part that focuses on the strategic aspects of the gameplay. Bloodbowl can be a lot like chess with randomized numbers - that's the kind off game I like. What is played at FUMBBL atm is a "Let's kill Fantasy creatures in a Football game" - kinda game. Go have a look at Warhammer again - that is what it is all about [minus the Football, but then few of you seem to care about that part anyway.]

So, thanks again Mr. Bunnypuncher for bringing up the EMU that surely will increase and speed up the downwardspiral FUMBBL got caught in increasingly. I hope you have fun. I sure don't have that much anymore.

Yours,
Mnemon

Amen.

Gorritakid
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2003 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey... all I'm doing is preying on the natural animosity that exists between the two bloodbowl philosophies, both of which are equal in their own rights. Some people get their jollies from passes and nifty running plays, some get excited by tossing gobbos into endzones, others enjoy strategic blocking and winning through attrition. All of which, in my mind, can be very fun.

No elf team is forced to particpate. No non-elf team is forced to participate. Recognize this for what it is: An attempt to have a little fun and provide an outlet for the natural rivalries that exist. Hey, look at Moxy's post below yours. I think that kind of smack talk is one of the things that makes this such a great game. Now it's up to EMU to step up to the challenge against a hell of a good Wood Elf team that wants to show us up. I think that is great!

Obviously this is not meant to appeal to everyone, but I won't apologize if I have reduced your fun and I won't apologize for not playing bloodbowl the way you think it should be played. I have no interest in debating the virtue or lack thereof of EMU. Bottom line, this thread doesn't impact you, your enjoyment of fumbbl or any of your teams, all you have to do is ignore it. It might not go away, but you don't need to worry your head about it. Perhaps Fumbbl has changed over time, I don't know - I'm still new here, but I assume there was a reason Jervis gave us Orcs, Chaos, Khemri, Dwarves etc. and not just 15 different types of elves.

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The EMU is not necessarily all about violence. My Norse team joined because it should be fun to keep track of and joke about your exploits on the field, and maybe bitch about getting the crap beaten out of my team by some elves. My Norse team is terrible and the CAS for and against are about the same. The only difference from before and now is that I will try to play more elf teams. I will still not try to kill coaches players by fouling or dirty play. I have said before that the team is terrible and will keep playing the same way no matter what "Union" I am in. If I create casualties, it is only a part of the game, I do not try to "pound the crap" out of the other team, I try to win the game. If I happen to put a few injuries on a few elf teams, then so be it...I now have a forum to brag about my supposed prowess. If any elf team does not want to play my crappy norse team, so be it, it is your choice. I would like to mention though that the only way a norse team can advance is by getting CAS so I will still try to get them. If it is a badly hurt perfect, I prefer not to ruin my opponents teams by killing their players.

Anyways, I enjoy Bloodbowl a lot and I too am frustrated when a player dies or gets a niggling injury...BUT...I will still play and try to have fun. With this new forum it is like having a theme to enhance my fun. Why don't you come up with a group called the "Elven Defence League" or somesuch...I may enjoy joining that Group as well.

Enjoy and be well

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I was not referring to the EMU in particular, but the EMU just about follows a trend going on at fumbbl. I played more than enough games to notice things change. Regarding the point Bunnypuncher made in terms of "different styles" of play - yeah sure there are - but the thing happening here is the one thing why I usually end up not liking multi player type of games. There is _usually_ some aspect of a somewhat balanced game that is overpowering when massivly [ab]used, turning the game into something quite seriously unbalanced. What I am saying is - you either ride the wave or, if your attempts at sticking to all the diverse option said game offers, you'll end up not having a lot fun anymore as the majority seems to enjoy following the one same overpowered path. Any game that offers skill choices will probably end that way once the amount of people playing together reaches a certain level. Bashing a team beyond oblivion _is_ the _easiest_ way to win - if your opponent doesn't have anything to hold you back it is an easy win. Most efficient does not equal most interesting and most fun though. Exactly that is what I am protesting against. Most coaches I played against my last 100 games or so all where mostly exchangable. Same approach, same sort of skill choices, same (often) poor tactical gameplay that only succeeds because I have nothing left on the pitch to counter it.

What I blame EMU for is that it is just another punch into a direction that makes it close to impossible to play the style of games I would _like_ to play here. Things like this will new comers just jump on the running train.

To tell you the truth I don't even check the main #fumbbl channel much anymore - the few things I do enjoy are some of the seperate channels that formed with times. I haven't played a game in 5 days now. Consider this some sort of outcry about a type of play I enjoyed that is getting drowned in a style of play that in my eyes simply ruins anyway of fun. Ignore it if you want, I am likely to fade away in the long run.

And again - this is not because I coach elves atm, or because I want to join some "elfball" league. I don't want to play blocking free games. I don't want all races to be the same. I sure do block a lot with my chaos/undead/norse, whatever. I foul where necessary. But not beyond that point. I would like some dignity in terms of not choosing the same overpowering stupid tactic dictating skills that in the end force me to play a certain way if I want to play at all. In the end, under these conditions, I rather not play at all, because it doesn't offer me much enjoyment. But as I mentioned before - any discussion beyond this post is useless I guess, I won't change anything and am sitting on "packed suitcases" anyway, already.

-Mnemon
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon, I appreciate your point fo view. To others... view this as role-playing, which is what it is. The Testosterone teams need a place to brag and whup it up (better here then where you have to watch it Smile. And as calienhawk pointed out, its meant to fun, cheesy and a bit of a joke. My team in this groyp is imho as far from bashy as orcs can get, no piling on, no dirty player, just lots of block and tackle. But its fun to swagger and tell tales of your greatness.

Finally, if anyone feels the need to gripe, b&m etc., start your own thread and do it there.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

After reading that line of tripe, I can only say one thing

IT'S WORKING, THE ELVES ARE GOING AWAY. YEAH!!!!

Mnemon reminds me of a story. I knew a guy who used to play mortal combat, (the first one). He liked Raiden and would teleport behind you and throw punches, then when you got your bearings he would teleport again and throw punches. He kept doing this and won almost every game. I cam along, and after getting my ass kicked by him a few times, I came up with a tactic (entering special moves backwards) that nullified his 'elegent strategy' with some very blunt violence. Like Mnemon, he quit playing. Good riddance I say, If a stategy of yours starts getting crushed, its time for a new one, and real players take that challenge seriously.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Bloodrunners - you didn't even read what I said did you? I am not fighting your bashy teams. I am not arguing pro Elves even. I am opposing an attitude that makes the game un fun for me.

My current teams consist of goblins, undead, lizzardman, norse, chaos and _one_ elf team. How you can claim "the elves are going away" with that escapes me.

I _can_ adjust to strategies if there is a point. Playing against the killer teams that take over fumbbl more and more _is_ pointless to me - as the main reason I used to frequent the page was to _have fun_ - which for me included strategic play. I tried more different teams and approaches than you probably did BloodRunners - or will in some time. It is not _me_ that focuses on killing as the only way to go - more and more people here do that though.

Just going on the pitch with the sole intention of killing the other team annihiliates any possibilites for a suspense ridden game. I am not leaving you alone because I am "elfish". I am leaving you alone because you limit my [and your own!] gaming experience to a degree that makes it impossible to compete or play on the site - unless I go full out bashing my self which I simply consider to be bad playing style. But yes goodriddence - I removed #fumbbl from my perform and won't re-join it either. I know where to find coaches I enjoy playing against.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay enuff of this shit. Consider this argument dead. I dont want to have to wade through 8 pages of arguments to tally the point totals on saturday.

So unless its about bleeding elves (or embarrassing "I got my arse-whupped by a buncha fairies" stories).. i dont wanna hear it.

To EMU members.. get out there and get some matches!

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon, try to develop your team not as usual. Look at my chaos team. I have a beastman thrower with sure hands, pass, accurate and kick, and a runner with dodge, block and + STR. Try out some weird team development, and trust in your team. It is fun to throw long bombs with chaos warriors. They are not bad in it! And your enemy does not expect you to do that. They think, Chaos is only cage playing and bashing. I play my chaos the same way I play my elves. Ok, I loose maybe some more games then normaly, but it is pure fun!
Go some strange ways, write a story around your team and your fun will come back maybe.

btw, the positiv thing in playing "Chaoselves" is the high armor value Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhulur I am doing that. I _never_ build RSC/PO stupid things. I am trying to comment all my latest games with my lizzies but if just playing annoys me too much cause all my opponents care about is getting 16 fouls done - it simply is time to go and head somewhere else.

-Mnemon
slackman

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

honestly, ive been gone too long to really have noticed when things started changing, but i do know this is not the FUMBBL i left back in febuary. as with nearly all popular online games of any sort, the 13 yr old script kiddie powergamers have, and always will, take over the mainstream gaming experience. i would like to believe that most players of bb are older, and not all powergamers are young, but the point is still valid. those looking for the quick and easy will do so.

i was a BIG fan of diablo2, playing on the battlenet realms. but after a certain period of time, everyone had all the best equipment, so there wasnt a point to playing when everyone else is content w/ killing your character w/ someone who's 60 levels higher and has all the uber gear. then i tried hardcore (you die once, your character dies completely) and it was great. but soon all the powergamers started trickling into HC as they found it was more fun to kill your character permanently and erase the countless hours you had spent building up your character legitimately. after a breif return to the game, i hung it up completely. and honestly, im in rather the same boat as mnemon, although i just got back a week or two ago, im not sure if i want to stick around.

maybe its because i cant move the ball when i play bashy teams. maybe its because i dont have the patience to build up a strong chaos roster from ground zero. maybe its because my elves (no matter what race) cant roll a 2+ to save their lives, literally. but whats the point of even trying when the only games you can find are against half a team of PO/RSC chaos, or dwarves or orcs w/ 8+ block/guard/tackle and a PO ogre?

sorry bunnypuncher, i didnt mean to rant in your thread, and im not sure that i've played against you, so this is not meant to be taken personally. but i just want people to think about this. is the sole enjoyment you get from playing the game, or is it from eliminating the enjoyment of your opponent playing the game?

slackman42
FatherDagon

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Metal Militia match report #1
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=70739

The Metal Militia's first victory against the pansy woodies of Berek's Boys. The Militia players started aggressively in a lightning blitz against the scared woodies. Charging furiously they managed to do nothing more than push the elves aside as they were running for their lives.

Things started to pick up as Massive Attack and Pleasure Prophet injured two of the elves' pesky catchers and then summarily scoring a TD.

It was tough going at times as the silly pointy ears would not stand still as the Militia were blocking them causing a great running chase around the pitch. Eventually most of the woodies were knocked-out, but to the horror of the fans an elf managed to trick the mighty Militia and somehow scored a TD. Elf magic must have been at work here... We all know that elves cheat with their long arms and jumpy legs!

Anyhow a second TD was scored and the Militia won 2-1. Not the amazing slamdunk hoped for but it is a start.

Most violently,

Father Dagon (Head Coach) Twisted Evil
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 22:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

With the introduction of divT a rule that no leagues may operate outside this division came into effect.

As far as FUMBBL goes, this sort of meta league is considered to be a league just like any other and as such all teams that are involved must be in divT.

BunnyPuncher will probably follow up with more details how this affects your current league memberships.

-- Christer
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Basically kids, its done. I know none of you are going to want to swap your high rated teams into a tourny division that so limits playing opportunities. As a result, after talking to Christer, the group has been disbanded as its no fun if we are not allowed to track and report our performance.

Can't say I'm happy with this. I believe this was a fun idea that could've created some excitement for both sides of view, but I gotta go with the boss.

For the 21 teams that signed up for EMU I apologize for wasting your time and getting you stoked up about this idea. But the good news is you can go out there and mangle elves on your own time now. As everyone knows the gods created elves to be squishy Smile EMU may no longer exist in official capacity, but lives on in the hearts and minds of piling on, rsc, Rat Ogres everywhere!

Thanks for the ride. We had a couple days of fun with this at least!

Since this will no longer be used as a results thread, please feel free to complain, cheer, scream or whatever you would like.

Last edited by BunnyPuncher on %b %26, %2003 - %22:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: