41 coaches online • Server time: 17:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
walkertullaris

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This may seem as a general vague question but how do i break cages?
My DE team have had a lot of 2-1 defeats against chaos/orc and such just because the old caging thing.

I can see that if you have a good old War Dancer with strip ball and tackle, he would at least be able to break ONE cage before getting a boot to the head...

I have tried to set preasure in the front and getting around to also put preasure on the back but i can't get it to work reliably.

So can some one that feals like it share their secreats? Very Happy
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like you have the right idea, but putting it into action can be tough. I suggest that you spectate a few games and see how the more experienced coaches do it.
On worthwhile tip is that with the proper use of the kick skill, it can be difficult for your opponent to form a robust cage on his first turn.
Carpe diem!
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed it helps a lot to kick deep, because bashier teams will have problems forming up the cage on the first turn. Put lot of pressure on the ballcarrier before they have the cage done. Wardancer with strip baal works quite well until ballcarrier has sure hands. After that, you either wait for them to do a mistake, or you bust one corner of the cage and try to have the ballcarrier threatened (blodge/sidestep works wonders).
heinz

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap/stripball is a must on any elven team when it gets up in ts. Oh - and give him iron man too Smile

+try to make him score faster than he wants, so you can kick in your 2-turn score for the tie/win. Positioning for next turn can be more important than putting max stress on the ball handler/cage.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

As a caging coach, I can say that the above tips are great.

* Get the ball before the cage is formed.
* Get the ballhandler _inside_ the cage.

But if the cage is already formed and a well-formed one, it's hard to do the above. Then I would say that there are two main ways that are irritating:

* Slowly receding, line up so that the cage can max take one step at a time. Properly executed, you keep your losses to a minimum and probably hinder the slow lads scoring. (13 squares to go in best case, 8 traversed, 5 still to go last turn.)

* Relentlessly busting the cage. Mark as many of the cage people as possible and blitz one away giving contact with the ballholder. Ill executed, this will give the cager lots of 2d blocks on you. But if timed right and the right people in the right place, it is really hard to get out of this one with the cage intact.

That's my experiences on how people break my cages anyhow.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Another little clue. You can stall if you play a passing game. A lot of basher coaches go to block and hinder your potential deep running catchers and don't put pressure on ball carrierer. Then unless your opponent starts to clear the pitch, STALL.

Imagine a 14 player roster. you can safely make dodges, avoid hits. He want to knock them down. If you can delay, let's say 4 or 5 turns, AND if you have kick, 3 guys out =starting at 11 with him knowing that if he don't score in the 3-4 turns left, he can hope at best on a draw.

So he has to rush, and no basher like to rush. kicking deep force him else to pass, else to loose a turn more and force him later to handoff somewhere.

this forces opponent to play more dangerous than he likes too and any mistake can cost him:
-a second TD
-at least no score.

Well I don't know if there is any other big stalling coach around, but it happend that I stalled for 6 to 8 turns.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Try attacking the ballcarrier before he gets into a cage.

If that doesn't work, keep your guys away from his guys as much as possible, so he can only make a blitz per turn.
This way not many of your guys will get hurt.

If the cage never reaches the endzone, you don't have to break it Razz
Markusen

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Put preasure on the attacking team as long there is no cage.

To break a builded cage isn't very easy - so you need patience!
If the cage is builded up without having contact to any player of your team, it's barley the right time to attack the carrier.
Slow the offence down and do not fight man vs man in that case; this maybe costs you some players you will need later.
Instead work with your tackling zones. Build up a defence that allows your opponent to move just a couple squares forward.
If you do this a couple of turns, your opponent has some other problems - the preasure of running time to score... !
So, he has to play more risky in his last turns to come in a scoring position. Mostly here is your chance to attack.

If one of the cage protectors stands right at one of your guys, this is a good time of thinking to attack. Try to block this Guard away and blitz his carrier.
Most of the time you'll get just a 1dice block for the blitz, but that's fine - it's a rarely chance. If you knock down the carreier (or strip the ball out of his hands), put all preasure you can on players close to the ball - this is the time of bloody fighting Wink

Another good Skill for cage breaking is Frenzy... think about it Smile
And at least one Guard in your team in the right position is priceless! Especialy if you have a Guard/Leap - wow, that rocks!!!
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My favorite way to break a cage: wizard's fireball : )

I'm hoping my goblin with block gets another doubles. He'll get stripball. That'll make another cage breaker.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

All of the above, plus: put a guard near the cage. Blitz with a Block-Dodge- sidestepper.

Once you get in contact with the ballcarrierthey need a pow or a tackler to have a nice chance to take you down.

If they cannot take you down, you have just opened the cage.
And if they have put you down, you still should be in contact with the ballcarrier.

And assuming you were stunned or Koed (or worse), your action disturbed the next cage-formation for sure.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

shadowing or diving tackle are also good ballcarrier stick-em skills, especially when combo'd with side step or stand firm.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget, if you form a defensive line, make sure it leaves no easy gaps to surround players, that way you can keep retreating slowly so his cage's advancement is hindered, and you can keep harrassing those corners! (which should slow him further most of the time)

It only takes one lucky (or unlucky for your opponent) turn to screw a cage up good, even without Leap. He has to get lucky every turn. You have to get lucky once Smile

You only need 3-4 elves to score. Time and the dice are on your side, he usually has to make lots of rolls, even if they are mostly 2 die blocks. You only need to make a few dodges and a Blitz every turn.

Don't give up if it doesn't always work, it can't always work or else bash teams would never win games. But it doesn't have to work often to be effective in the long run.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I tend to stall the corners and blitz off 1 corner player to put a player on the ball carrier and try to make sure that there is only a 1 die block easily available on that player.

Don't look at my replays though Wink I'm not saying that I get it right...
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Even with kick skill you cannot prevent an experienced coach from caging (without a blitz roll) as they will only put enough on the line to make the safe blocks. Hope for a retard chaos coach who does the 10 on the line-one back offence.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Goblins are great for breaking cages, get a troll to throw the goblin into an empty square near the cage, hopefully the goblin will scatter onto one of the guys in the cage and they will both go prone. This will mess up the cage a bit and give you a point to attack it from. If your real lucky he might land on the ball carrier. Best thing is to try and stop them from forming a cage by getting as many players in tzs as possible. Sometimes this isnt possible so i just try to slow them down and gradually wear down the cage.
 Jump to: