17 coaches online • Server time: 06:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the GLN be revived?
Yes!
74%
 74%  [ 68 ]
No!
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Madagascar!
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
I was never around when the GLN was out....
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 91

BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

For those who aren't familiar with the tale, the last editor sort of buggered off just before the deadlines because of real-life pressures. No one else had access to all the material and the process sort of disintegrated just before everything was finally accumulated.

Just for the record, I was going to be laying everything out in either InDesign or Quark and releasing it in a mostly text-only format using the current system and a printable pdf layout as the big, glossy version.

Since that time (April, I think) a few of the articles have already turned up in other locations and, as much as I wanted to carry things on, the remaining, unpublished articles are probably too thin to make a good issue, if anyone can even dig them all up.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love if i could joim the staff on GLN as art creator or something Wink just pm me and ill fix some so u can see some examples, btw check out my info, there is some art there
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2005 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Just for the record, I was going to be laying everything out in either InDesign or Quark and releasing it in a mostly text-only format using the current system and a printable pdf layout as the big, glossy version.

As long as I've known, you have always been in charge of lay-out or something of that ilk (noted down as "ghoul" in all the acknowledgements). I took it for granted you'd be continuing in that capacity.

I actually don't know who was in charge of making the cover and interior images, if you could bring me up to speed on that I'd be very grateful.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2005 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir, Ill help you as much as I can, Im all for the community, I also have a Human tactics article (about 3500 words, some of you have seen ity already)that Andy Hall from Fanatic never used, But liked it so much he have me a free new Human team for!! Laughing I think I could change it a bit, take some pics of my Human Minis in action and see how it looks!

I dunno, maybe its common sense but if we could have regular articles (Agony Aunt Grum Smile , or I could do it although Im not as witty as the king of sarcasm Razz )
Definitely a tactics article every issue would be great
A section rounding up some of the main tournaments that have happened since the last issue would be good and also help inspire tourney organisers (like me) to try new things
Unveiling of New site features would also be useful, I didnt realise there was a tourneyfiller option until chunky04 told me about it and it took me several days to realise there was a head to head link on other coach overviews!!! Laughing
Plugging the userguide would be good too, its a much underused source of knowledge, Id contribute to it a bit more if I had the time, but Ive added a few things like how to score one turners with Rookie Norse, and added in a vault reference guide (which I havent updated in quite a while!)

Thats my $58.00 Laughing:
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2005 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a list of articles and article types we want set up already.

Tourneyfiller thing sounds like something for the Admin Corner article.

Human tactics article is always welcome.

All this is a bit premature, though, on my account, wait till September 13th. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2005 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

you know its gonna happen, remember Murphys law Smile
Jimmy

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2005 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

any ideas of some pictures that u want, then i can have some time to make them
ultwe

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2005 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

PDF transformation is "easy" (i'm sure I'll live to regret that word Wink ), and i got the soft to do it.
Not much of a writer, but if i can contribute in that way, just send me the files after bublication, and I'll set a pdf.

Ult.
NB: i'll have more time after Oct 12 (last exam of the year), so first few release may get pdf'd after that date, depending on the amount of work involved in converting the articles to A4 / Letter format.

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Colin

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2005 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimmy, there has to be a cartoon strip Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 08, 2005 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

As of yesterday, Candlejack and I both have editor access to the GLN. This means we can finally get started on this thing again.

So, if you are interested in helping out, writing articles, lay-outing, making pictures, drawing a cartoon, flaming random stuff, contact me in this thread, by PM or on IRC.

There is a channel on IRC dedicated to the revival of the GLN, called (oddly enough) #GLN - be sure to join it and become part of the next generation editorial staff.

Article submissions will start ot be taken in as of today, I'll post a "wanted articles" section in the GLN forums later today (or tomorrow) and we can generally get this show on the road (again)!