43 coaches online • Server time: 14:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Ouch is the right thing to write. I really hate it when people say they are sorry and always answer "No you are not". Ouch perfectly communicates that you understand your opponents pain but are still happy to get the cas.

If the dice is really ugly and a third or fourth permanent damage happens, sorry is appropriate as most coaches actually feel a bit guilty when they just happen to destroy a team.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

My greenskins tend to get hurt much more often the astronomical av9 suggests.
So...
Whenever one of my lads "Buy the (boar) farm".. be if from block,foul or just the all time classic snake eye gfi, i just stick to : "Lookes like meat's back on the menu boys" !! (and then whine away in the chat ofcause Smile )
Apoligizing for a cas i silly....though, when inflicting the 3 si in a row, i guess a "Craaaazy cas" is in order.. its not the cas.. its the rape....

Apart from that, i always watch with glee when a wd fails a dodge rolls over and die.. and, as the inside of that lame 11 2 5 7 blodge leap sprint sidestep passblock gutterrunner, is washed away from my boot...

Ps: I do agree that hunting down and slaying the opponents most valuble players long after the game has been decided is unsportsman like and serves no purpos but to make an a** of yourself
kwanchai

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

i usually chat a lot in a match so saying sorry is sth i do.
Do i mean it?
most of the times yes but when i am fouled i am just being hypocrat!
it is always bad feelinf to suffer a loss but as it is a result of the dice i don't get offended if someone does not apologise..
on the other hand i think that is Most Ofending if someone says sorry after a foul!
Dunkpork

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Saying it doesn't matter that someones player dies is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Kasparov's game of chess takes less than an hour. The knight doesn't change, EVER. He's a game piece, that has no investment other than two sentences of rules and a physical form.

If "it's just pixels and a game of chess" was so then more people would have responded to my "non-progressive league" proposal.

People play the more long term leagues and teams because they like to build up their teams and characters.

Losing a player to death is a loss of time and emotion. Yes, emotion, because you've sat there behind your monitor getting upset or happy over your team/character development. It's like losing your fourteen year old puppy, rather than a spider you flush down the toilet.

You may not have any care when one of your opponent's players dies, but they most likely do. And it's almost certain YOU would be upset if your top three players, who've taken 100 hours of gameplay to develop, all died in the same game. If not you're probably lying, deluded, intoxicated, or some combination of the three.

Yet, it is a game and death is part of it. Sorry helps soften the blow, and helps the remaining game go a little easier. You don't have to attend a funeral and share cake with the deceased's coach, but you can type out a heartfelt five letter word: sorry.

While you're at it, stop blocking my line-elfs on turn 16 so you can get 2 more SPP for your over-grown ogre who already has 83 SPP Jacka**.

Or don't and watch how many people refuse to play you because you need to get your jollies inflicting MAXIMUM PAIN AND HURTAGE OMG YESZORS by taking as much as you can from things other people care about. Or maybe you could go play Team Fortress for awhile instead.

Of course, if the person is inexperienced, maybe you should be even more understanding and give them some more words and advice. After all, they know less and less well than you. And it would only take you a few minutes ingame. What else do you have to do, cherrypick some Wood Elfs?

That is, unless you're talking about newbie teams. In which case tell him he can retire his team and make a new one.

Last edited by Dunkpork on %b %26, %2005 - %18:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

great post dunkpork.

I am one of those that do say sorry. I know death and injuries are part of the game, but most of the time I only need a few ko's to win a game. Cas are icing on the cake and I have had my share of icing dumped on me. It not the fact that a good player died or was maimed, some of my best players are ones that have risen from the ashes of a dead player. Often it is the context in which they die that pisses me off. I think I have caused one turn 16 foul for a RIP in the 2+ years I have played here. Rightfully so, I am on his dnp list- I was a jerk.

Teams are meant to go through transition and turnover. But when your playing vamps and you niggled one and cause one -1st, you got to say, "Damn Nuffle, chill out."

Many coaches here take rips and cas with a grain of salt and I have learned from them. Kenty, for example lost a great wolf to my dwarfs- he keeps on playing and building new wolfs.

If your offended because my intent is to be coureous and respectful of a pretty bad dice roll, sorry to hear that. (pun intended)

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, agreed, for your on reasons I think a "muhahahahaha" would have been more appropriate than a "sorry".
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I refuse to say sorry when i kill a player. But i will however say SOMETHING.

In my case it's Death be not proud though some have called thee mighty and dreadfull thou art not so (only when it's permanent) And si's that are perm? Well, i don't say anything except maybe: Yay! a player less to worry about on the pitch! (I don't really care if it's bh or si... though sometimes i want players dead or niggled, like str5 wardancers etc)

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

In my case, i apologize when that happens and when i really am sorry, because i even prefer a BH rather than a SI or RIP due to 2 things: a) dont like destroying teams (but after the game i allways feel good seeing i had more rips than SI Surprised) ) and b) if its RIP he will probably use the apo...and the apo generally succeeds (unless its me using him) so BH are the best.... i WISH all MY CAS WERE BH!!!

BTW: i never apologize on a rip or SI (nig) when the apo is used and succeeded

I totally agree with you

NP
neverdodge

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

chunky04 wrote:
People apologising makes me want to kill every single one of their players. It patronising and hypocritical. Players are aware that actions can result in death. They obviously decided to do so anyway, so they aren't sorry at all, simple as that. Particularly galling is when this occurs on a foul or one of those frivolous end of game blocks (note - not against any of these) - the entire purpose of which is generally to cause a casualty. The excuse that a death is not a likely outcome is understandable in normal play, but when your objective is to cause an injury the 1 in 6 chance of death makes it completely ridiculous to say you're sorry.

I am never sorry that I hurt my opponents player, regardless of how, who, when, where or why.

+1 i agree with that entirely. I never apologize as honestly i m happy removing a player from the pitch. Sometimes i ll just say something like "ouch that hurt !" or "wow nasty block !" but that s all.
And i don t like either when opponent says sorry, if you don t want to kill my player don t hit them.
Telcontar

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on my opponent
If i know him from a long term tourny i apologize
If its ranked he normaly gets an "ouch" or "that hurt"

If he plays like an "ยงยง"%$" and fouls linos with my bench still full or stall games etc.. He gets a "strike" or "YESSSS" or "WOOT" or "your fault"

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Direwolf wrote:
Well.. I can sort a question for you then: are you happer when you badly hurt some player or when you kill some player? or is just the same for you?

Cool

While, intellectually, I'd rather have that BH, I gotta admit that I generally get a bit of thrill when I hear that RIP sound and see the bloodspot on the field. That's especially true when I've been fouled frequently or have been taking casualties.

There are also certain players who just deserve to die - WD, Claw/RSC players, Meuh, etc. I cheer when they go down (but I type "Ouch").

I also get a kick out of causing casualties with my elven teams. Most people play them with the expectation of getting a lot of SPP from cas, while not taking any damage themselves. Usually, that's what happens, but I highly enjoy it when my Elves mutilate some Orcs.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry is one of those words with two similar, yet distinct meanings.

"I'm sorry (to hear that)," means you are offering condolences for an unfortunate event.

"I'm sorry (that I did that)," means that you are apologizing.

I'll offer condolences ("I'm sorry to see that your one-turner shall one-turn no more.") and generally phrase it ambiguously (allowing my opponent to take it however he or she would like), just because I consider it polite. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I've simply got no desire to rub it in your face that your team has suffered a setback. I'd honestly be just as happy with a BH - so long as he's off the field and I get SPPs for it.

I don't quite understand how that makes me rude, but it seems to bother a lot of people, so I'll try to stop. As a compromise, perhaps people who do get annoyed by one of the possible meanings could try to consider that perhaps your opponent intends the other. I generally find it hard to take offense at a well-intended - even if misguided - attempt.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

if you're sorry when players get hurt, don't play BB, or don't block and foul.

i can't stand it when players don't say a word during the game, act rude, play very tough even if it is not needed (which, incidentally, i am all for, we're playing a violent game), and then say "sorry" when they kill one of your players on a block during a stall =)

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

What is so violent about bloodbowl eddy? In chess, pieces are removed. In backgammon pieces are removed. In monopoly, players cut throat each other and attempt to make each other bankrupt. The game is no different from other games. It is based on fantasy sports. Why does the fact is has blood in its name (for marketing purposes) excuse you from behaving like a grown up.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

@Darkwolf
yeah, because BB fluff has nothing to do with players fighting to death, blood, chainsaws, apothecaries, broken necks and fractured skulls.

right.

PS: must be real funny to play you at Soulblade or similar games. "oops, sorry buddy, i just kicked you in the face, and you flew off the ring. sorry about that."

Jump to: