55 coaches online • Server time: 18:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

just...laugh. Wink

Dunkpork

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Ask your mother if you should apologize for killing someone! =p
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

True, but other games, as others have mentioned dont have progression or development.

There are broken necks and fractured skills and people getting seriously hurt in boxing, football, UFC etc. Yet there appears to be a standard or code of conduct in those game? Why is this game any different?

I love the boot, the hits and fouls and smack talk as much as anyone. Yet, coaches here seem to have a sour taste in their mouth from playing certains coaches here. Some noobs have played and never come back. How does this behaviour promote this great site and/or great game?

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

i don't like to kill other players, because i don't get more sps for killing than BH but hey my aim is to make your team go out of the camp, so.. if you don't try to score a TD i'll stop blocking, and a block out of the action where the ball is, is a chance to send your player out, so don't say it's for nothing.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
There are broken necks and fractured skills and people getting seriously hurt in boxing, football, UFC etc. Yet there appears to be a standard or code of conduct in those game? Why is this game any different?

look, either you're thick, or you're trolling. the BB fluff _is_ about injuries and players bashing each other into bloody pulp. you are not awarded anything in football when you injure players. actually, you even tend to get problems when you do that too often.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

DW wrote:
Why does the fact is has blood in its name (for marketing purposes) excuse you from behaving like a grown up.

Eddy wrote:
@Darkwolf
yeah, because BB fluff has nothing to do with players fighting to death, blood, chainsaws, apothecaries, broken necks and fractured skulls.

You still never answered his question. So, with your addition, I'll be presumptuous and rephrase it for him.

Why does the fact that it has blood in the name, players fighting to death, chainsaws, etc... excuse you from behaving like a grown up?

It's still a game which is (one would hope) played with friends for the purpose of enjoyment by all. How does a trivial display of common courtesy rob anyone of fun?

Re: Soul Showdown Fighter II vs King of Marvel Kombat (Am I showing my age, here?):

The analogy isn't quite accurate, as the opponent gets a fresh new fighter each time they pump in a quarter while in BB, you're left with a hobbled team. I'm not arguing that it is an invalid point. I'm just highlighting a potential flaw in the approach.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

@BMM
why should i apologize of something that happens in a game, and that was _designed_ to happen ? if someone feels the need to be patted on the back when they lose a player, then they're the ones who need to grow up. apologizing for nothing is not a trivial display of courtesy, nor is saying "gl hf kkthx" at the start of a game, btw ^^

edited for better wording.

second edit: BB was meant to have players dying. if they didn't die, there would be no point nor interest in keeping them alive or bragging about surviving stars. the progression in BB is interesting solely because of its fragility.
but once again, my point of comparison was more along the lines of apologizing for doing what the game was meant for. the game is about scoring TDs and maiming your opponent. you don't apologize when you score, you don't apologize when you kill.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I second that, Eddy.
Many players and teams are depending on casualties to win games and to get skills. Now, if it's a kill or just a badly hurt is out of my hands so apologizing wouldn't make any sense. That's why I (too) feel it's hypocritical to offer "apologies" automatically, and I often get annoyed when I get it. Now, if you're _truly_ sorry you should communicate that. Most of the time, however, I find that "sorry" is an automatic response and it bugs me.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
origami

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest problem is that we are communicating by typing. When you are with your buddies playing these games, people are a lot less likely to take offense.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

no, that's a false problem. people should not get offended in the first place, period.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2005 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to go with <b>origami</b> on that one. Because this is an online game yuo don't get the feeling of the person you're playing against. You're more likely to see it as playing the computer and you might have feelings against it that you'd never have against another human being... But that's just trying to explain it.
As always it comes down to people-skills. Unless you know that the other player will see the fun of it you shouldn't gloat, but I really see no reason to go out of your way to apologise for any deaths or SI's. Curse Nuffle instead, he won't mind...

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2005 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so I didn't bother to read all 5 pages of this topic. I do have the time, but nevetheless can't be bothered to do it. But my point is, why not just say something neutral that can be taken as sympathy if your opponent feels like it, but it's as simpering as saying you're sorry. I usuall follow up a RIP with a breif statement like 'urk' or 'harsh' (which lets face it, whether I'm sorry or not it is - not many things harsher than death...Wink. Harsh that he's dead rather than just Badly Hurt, but not saying that I'm sorry for the 2 SPP it got me - or the fact he's off the pitch for the game (and for good). Heck, even a "..." can acknowledge that he had some bad luck just then, but not that you're sorry about it.

Sometimes a little comment about the manner of his death can soften the sting a bit, "Igh, seems he wasn't a fan favorite..." or "well, looks like they spit most of him back out..." can be nice follow ups to a crowdpush RIP.

When the apoth fails (for you or him) try something along the lines of "Bloody apoth...he HAS a needle and thread, how hard can it be to sew a head back on?!"

Your best Blitzer RIP's on a failed dodge vs Undead and is raised as a Zombie? "Hmm...looks like he'll be 'coming back' from that trip after all!"

RIP'ed someone in a block? "You're going to have to work on that 'stop the block with your face' play." or "dang, that's a lot of blood for a dwarf" or the ever popular and retro "It's worse than that, he's dead Jim!"

Turn 16 foul killed the best player? Well, chances are your opponent will just exit the game without a word besides 'f*cker', but you can always try: "but...but he had a 'Kick Me' sign on his back..." Laughing

I've found that typing something humorous yet bitter can help me get over a particularly nasty loss of even my own players. How about rather than being taunting and belligerent or simpering and falsely apologetic we try to inject some lightheartedness into this...game.

**and don't forget, a nice match report after a particularly bloody and/or otherwise unfortunate match can be both cathartic to wrtie and to read.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2005 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy wrote:
why should i apologize of something that happens in a game, and that was _designed_ to happen ?

Actually, you misunderstood my intent. I wasn't suggesting you should apologize for it.

I just can't fathom why people find it so insulting if someone else offers a simple sympathetic comment out of politeness when their opponent loses a player.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2005 - 07:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably because in some situations they feel it to be rather hypocritical. Like when that rsc/claw/PO thing kills yet another player in the last turn Razz

I wouldn't be upset by a shared wince when you get your 4th RIP from 5 cas after seeing apoth fail and 1 of 2 regens fail...
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2005 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

@BMM
my question was "why should i" but i meant "why should anyone", it was a general approach. and apologizing for some things is ridiculous. apologizing after you hurt a player in BB is already quite ridiculous, but it is even more when you willingly caused the CAS.

Jump to: