22 coaches online • Server time: 08:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BigMac

Post 3 Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

To explain this idea, you need to be familiar with the vault skill access system.

"Vault Living Rulebook 1.9" (Page 30)

First of all you have to differenciate between 2 diffrent types of skills, ACCESSABLE and NOT-ACCESSABLE.

So if you remove all new skills added by the experimental rules, and make thick skull a racial trait that leaves you with these ACCESSABLE skills:
General Skills
Code:
Block, Dauntless, Dirty Player, Frenzy, Kick, Pass Block, Pro, Shadowing, Strip Ball, Sure Hands, Tackle
Agility Skills
Code:
Catch, Diving Catch, Diving Tackle, Dodge, Jump Up, Leap, Side Step, Sprint, Sure Feet
Strength Skills
Code:
Break Tackle, Guard, Mighty Blow, Multiple Block, Piling On, Stand Firm, Strong Arm
Passing Skills
Code:
Accurate, Dump-Off, Hail Mary, Leader, Nerves of Steel, Pass, Safe Throw

Right, MUTATIONS are missing.

Remember, Racial Characteristics, Secret Weapons or Extraordinary Skills are NOT-ACCESSABLE. (only players starting with them can have them)

OK, back to the Mutations, if you rename those to "RACIAL SKILLS".
That means that Chaos, Skaven and Nurgle's Rotters have Access to unique, racial skills only availiable to those three races.

Now having laid out that in detail, the idea is to have such RACIAL SKILLS for every race.

The following rules must be used...
1. the Racial Skills have to be accessible for every player on the roster on a normal starplayer roll (no-doubles).
2. any and all "abilities" (even secret weapons, racial characteristics, extraordinary skills) from LRB 4.0 and Vault 1.9 could be racial skills for a team.

Examples:
Human Lineman 6 3 3 8 none RG/ASP (Racial and General skills without a double)
Skaven Lineman 7 3 3 7 none RG/ASP (Racial -used to be M for Mutations- and General without a double.

OK racial skills would be listed next to the team rerolls;
For example (JUST example!)

Dark Elves:
Re-rolls: 50K
Racial Skills: Mighty Blow, Poison Dagger

That means EVERY player on the Dark Elf team list could get Mighty Blow or Poison Dagger on a normal skill roll, without a double.

You could even take some of the Mutations away from skaven but leave them for Chaos or Nurgle!

OK quick resume: "Mutations" for every race, call the Mutations "racial skills", and make every race able to access diffrent Racial Skills - but consider that every player on that team could get them.

Final Example: "Titchy" could be the, or one of the Racial Skills for goblins. So every Goblin could choose to become Titchy (new skill with the vault rules) whenever he earns himself a new starplayer roll.

What i want from you, with this topic is suggestions of that kind that actually make sense. Like, last example i promise, give humans Dodge as a racial skill so every human player could pick dodge without needing to roll a double...
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Would these 'racial skills' be based on warhammer fuff, common sense or someother criteria?

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Would you be trying for new, unique skills for each race, or just giving certain pre-existing skills to each race as free which previously would've required doubles?

Post 16 Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 01:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Dont feed the troll.

Experience teaches other opinions are unwelcome unless in agreement.
BigMac

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf: unless somebody comes up with a skill that was included in a previous edition, or a really good house rule skill for a race, only "skills/traits/abilities" included in LRB4 or Vault 1.9 would qualify.

Eagle: both like i said to Darkwolf, but in heavy heavy favour of pre-exisitn skills/traits/abilites. Note that even not-accessible things can be considered (like Hypnotic Gaze for example)
BigMac

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

OK this is to illustrate the idea:

HUMAN
Code:
 50K Lineman 6|3|3|8                  16 RG/ASP
 70K Catcher 8|2|3|7 Catch, Dodge      4 RGA/SP
 70K Thrower 6|3|3|8 Sure Hands, Pass  2 RGP/AS
 90K Blitzer 7|3|3|8 Block             4 RGS/AP

Re-rolls: 50K
Racial Skills: Dodge, Sprint

SKAVEN
Code:
 50K Lineman 7|3|3|7                   16 RG/ASP
 70K Thrower 7|3|3|7 Pass, Sure Hands   2 RGP/AS
 80K Gutter  9|2|4|7 Dodge              4 RGA/SP
 90K Vermin  7|3|3|8 Block              2 RGS/AP

Re-rolls: 60K
Racial Skills: Big Hand, Claws, Disturbing Presence, Extra Arms, Foul Appearance, Horns, Prehensile Tail, Tentacles,
               Two Heads, Very Long Legs
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, erm, 2 points in my opinion:
1)In case of ska and chaos, it's just a name change
2)In case of other race: it's a good idea if the skills are new/unique else well it doesn't give any special race feeling

Good idea, should be developped.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2005 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

i must say, i really like this idea too. elegant, simple and makes every race more unique.
xlars

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldnt the given example for skaven just give a whole lot of one turner on all skaven teams? I mean, VLL without doubles. Combine that with two heads, and one turning is very easy.
/XL

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

@BigMac:
I am surprised... a good idea.. from you!
I guess it will still be shot down, as it involves more tables, but I like it.

@xlars:
In the vault-rules, VLL doesn´t give +1 MA anymore, plus skaven, chaos and nurgle can take mutations (which are weakened) on a normal skillroll anyway.

EDIT:
As a first example, I want to propose racial skills for lizzies:
StripBall and SureHands

Last edited by CircularLogic on %b %21, %2005 - %14:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, as a human coach id love this... blodger linos and blodging Human Blitzers all they way on normal skill rolls... why even bother with a team like amazons then if you can get Dodge on a Normal roll...

Thry to think of the reprocussions before spewing more drivel like this Wink
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

if you playtested the skills and showd them you have an idea that might be worth something... but you need to apply commonsense to it as well Wink
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I could see humans gaining Grab on normal skill as well as sure feet.
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

xlars wrote:
Wouldnt the given example for skaven just give a whole lot of one turner on all skaven teams? I mean, VLL without doubles. Combine that with two heads, and one turning is very easy.
/XL

As mentioned in the first post, you have to be familiar with vault rules 1.9. VLL does not give +MA anymore.

This is actually an idea that I thought about about a year ago. I was disturbed by the illogical fact that goblins need doubles to get DP. I thought about racial skills for a while but couldn't find a fair way to make it real.
It might be done though, but I'm rather skeptical about the prospects.
I would suggest only 1 racial skill for each race. Otherwise it would be very difficult to maintain balance.

Suggestions:
goblins - DP
halflings - hail mary pass
humans - sprint or sure feet
orcs - piling on or diving tackle

Problems arise when choosing racial skills for teams like elves or dwarves. A passing or agility skill as racial for dwarves would just be silly and the rest they can already have. The same thing goes for elves and strength skills.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
Lazerus101

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2005 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah this is total crap. Teams that have access to mutations have them at a price in other areas.
 Jump to: