47 coaches online • Server time: 22:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Instead of replacing the existing rule set, I suggest you name your approach as "Blood Bowl starter edition"or something similar. IMO it is a good idea to create a fixed (some may call it "sample") team roster for each of the races combined with strategical advice of how to use the team in the first match. Afterplaying a couple of games with the team without progression or permanent injuries, the players would have a solid grasp of what blood bowl is like.

However, I think this should NOT replace the LRB but instead work as "a beginner's edition", meaning that once the players have gotten the hold of the game mechanics, they can move on to the current version of the LRB using a freely made starting roster, SPP gaining, aging and so on.

On top of being a solid "beginner's edition" of blood bowl, such a simplified rule system would work as a nice way of playing a quick game of tabletop BB without having to hassle too much with the team roster or maybe even hold out a short tournament (online or offline) using the pre-created starter teams. For an additional challenge, there could be a print-out of each starter team handed out randomly...best coach would win the tourney. Wink This might be impossible on TT due to lack of minis, though.

Personally, I'd like to see this kind of a "quick BB"-tournament (possibly even a division) here on FUMBBL. The basic rosters should also help out the FUMBBL Academy to arrange sample matches.

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
--(talking of TT BB)

The box would not contain any miniatures at all, just the rules books, and the board and tools.

You had to buy any teams you want to use seperately, and teams had to be boxed in a way that the boxes contain ALL miniatures for, at least, the starting teams - and BALLS ^^.

Booster packs could include any additional and or optional players.

That way you could buy what you really need;
A second board, a new team to be availiable for introducing the game to firends, or a expansion to a team you wanna play in a league.

This is exactly how I would like to see it done, in official TT BB marketising. However, knowing how GW operates, it will never become reality. They want to make cash. Lots and lots of it.

If you don't feel like paying huge amounts of money for a single BB team, I recommend purchasing similar miniatures from rivaling companies. If you choose Rackham, you can also play Confrontation with your cheaper minis (e.g. Griffin army + Firebrand Ogre as an ally as Humans, Acheron army as Necromantic, Kelt Sessairs as Norse, Cynwall Elves as High Elves). If you choose Reaper, you can also play Warlord with your minis. Reaper also carries a wide range of similar races to the races used in BB, such as Dwarves and Elves.

Mezir

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Confrontation minis are too large though, no? Or I got that impression from my mate's Confrontation mutant goblins...

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2005 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
Confrontation minis are too large though, no? Or I got that impression from my mate's Confrontation mutant goblins...

Too large for what? How tall is an average Elf/Dwarf/Hobgoblin/whatever, how can you prove it, what if only the tallest guys of a given race make good Blood Bowl players (compare to e.g. basketball), what if the opponent also uses Confrontation minis and aren't e.g. Norse players supposed to be a bit bigger than e.g. Amazons?

The bases are 2.5cm x 2.5cm, so they are not "too large" for the pitch squares. Everything else just depends on the point of view.

BigMac

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 07:16 Reply with quote Back to top

OK it's here it is. First edititon featuring 8 of soon to be 18 teams for download.

Balanced Blood Bowl

Still looking for people to playtest these teams; Cowards. :p
Thadrin

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear God, I needed cheering up and this thread gave me it....

Hey Toby - I thought of something both you and jJ have in common: NEITHER OF YOU HAVE A CLUE.
At least jervis has the right aims for the game.

I should shut up though right? because I'm a TBB admin and that makes me evil.

(Big Macs are fat, greasy, tastless and, generally speaking, a bad thing. Nice choice of name Smile )

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Rapid share? Sheesh.

Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
I really think that with fixed starting rosters it could be accomplished to get extremely well balanced (against each other) teams for the first 10 games.

You wouldn't get balance this way.
All coaches have a different approach to the different teams potentials and tactis options. Even rookie coaches do. Now, to lure somebody into playing with a risky (4 blitzer - 1 thrower - 11 player) line-up, when that coach might be more suited to playing a stable 12 or 13 player team, might even deter players.

Even if it was clearly stated that the fixed rosters were optional - how difficult is it to create a team for the first time?
All you need is some subtraction skill and a basic idea of what each player excel at.

To sum it up your idea would be a bad one since it wouldn't add anything of value while it might fool new coaches into making bad choices.
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
OK it's here it is. First edititon featuring 8 of soon to be 18 teams for download.

This "rapid share" thing had me clicking links thrice, waiting half a minute and then end up not working.
Would you mind posting the teams here?
BigMac

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2005 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

it works. just click "free" at the bottom of the page;
i'm currently adding orc, wood elf.

and i guess you all of you will be pretty silent when you see the finished project.
this offers some cool balance tweaks, complete artwork and pretty well balanced "ready to go teams" for offline (standalone/hotseat) and direct ip (no fumbbl/no proxy) play.

in addition i'm planing on adding a rulebook pdf with leage rules, that make it possible to play the vault team management/progression rules with damn good balanced teams with Java Bowl which uses the LRB 4.0 rules for "playing the game". All you need to play a EXPERIMENTAL league, featuring some of the vault concepts will be a Java, Java Bowl, a PDF reader and a simple html team roster editor that i will include with the teams directory at that point. And you can do it WITH THE TOOLS WE HAVE.

This is a more productive approach of getting this vault thing online than to complain about it without plaining it and/or waiting for other people to give it to you.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2005 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I did not post in the team change thread you made, simply because I did not liked your changes and found them unbalanced. Well, now you wanna playtest them in a fixed roster to make what will be clearly better than Vault (I doubt of it ^^ but well).

But now let's imagine what will be the best scenario possible:
-You make the teams, playtest it and it's balanced and great. Jervis is impressed leaves his work on Vault and take yours. Or maybe Christer is so impressed and forget about FUMBBL beeing LRB.

I bet on:
You make it, just find a few playtesters (very few-non progressionnal with no chance of beeing used at all will limit it, added to your not sympathic behavior at all), where various levels won't give any clue (good coach will use them very efficientely and bad ones, well badly), you will have no good conclusion except maybe remarks already done in the other thread and you will use those roster with friends in stand alone sometimes not more.

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2005 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Updated Version 2 online. 12 Races implemented, 6 to go. (Ogre, Chaos, Dwarf, Skaven, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarf)
Khemri, High Elf and Nurgle have been removed from the game in this modification.
Games can only be played standalone or direct ip, without progression. Progression rules are planed and will be availiable at a later point.
Balanced Blood Bowl (click "free" download on the bottom of the page, and wait until the timer runs down, about 30 sec)
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2005 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

How many playtester do you already have?

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2005 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

He and his imaginary friends.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
it works. just click "free" at the bottom of the page;

I will repeat myself.
The download does not work = "File not found". Maybe it works on your computer but that's hardly relevant for me, is it?
Now, would you mind sharing some of the info in some other way? It's still a semi-interesting issue and I'd like to see what you've made in order to discuss it.
 Jump to: