35 coaches online • Server time: 12:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you find the term 'dicerape' offensive?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 153 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 227

coffindodger

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone,

Is it just me that finds the phrase 'dice rape' offensive? It appears to be in common useage, but in no way is anyone raped by dice...

Given that 'rape' is a massively traumatising event for people in RL could i petition people to stop using the phrase? I'm sure there are dozens of other ways of expressing displeasure at losing games / players due to bad dice or opponents good dice - all less offensive than this. Given that this is on the whole a friendly online community could we see fit to change the use of words?

...the dice were totally against me
...really c**p luck!!!

or whatever!

BFN

Paul
Trekamp

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you serious?

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

political correctness bitch slapping us in our face.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

ive heard this before. Guy in olbbl said he was offended by his opponent who kept claiming ' this is such a rape' and im getting raped', because his wife had been raped. I guess you dont have to use the term, and if your arguing that its ok to say it in front of someone whose claimed there wife was once raped then there's something seriously wrong with you. But it is a common expression, and its kind of a case of you walking down the street and someone bumping into you and you saying 'Are you blind!?!?' only to turn round and see them carrying a white stick. If it upsets you, let your opponent know that you dont like the phrase, but dont expect it to disappear any time soon. Guess thats just the way it is.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Err... you haven't even played a game here yet (unless you have multiple accounts) and you want us to change? Shocked

And what next? Should we change "killed" to "sleeping" because my mother/brother/uncle/pet poodle got killed once...?

Anyway, let's keep feeding the troll Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

What I find really offensive is sad, pathetic geeks who have nothing better to do than attempt to infest the thoughts and minds of normal, decent people with their own views on what they should/shouldn't do or say, in order that they run the 1% risk of saying something that might offend the bleeding-heart liberal that once had a 4th cousin (twice removed) who went out with a guy who's uncle's 2nd wife had been raped in 1974.

FFS, grow up, get a life and don't be so bloody ridiculous.

P.S. In a 3 year period during my early 20's no less than 6 girls (most of whom I secretly fancied and was planning on asking out) confided in me as the first person they'd ever told about being raped. Enough evidence was available in a couple of cases that actions were taken against the offenders, who confessed (and i'm not talking about due process of the Law). I have dealt with rape victims very, very closely. Not one of them wanted to be treated like a victim by me, or the people they cared about. They wanted help, succour, advice, a shoulder to cry on, in some cases action...and then to get on with life. Being treated with pseudo-pyscho kid gloves wasn't part of that healing process, and only reinforced the 'victim' feeling within them. I learned, from them, what they needed, and the ever-increasing 'softly-softly' approach was most definately not what they wanted.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
political correctness bitch slapping us in our face.

Who finds "bitch" offensive, unless being used to identify the sex of a dog? Wink

Language on fumbbl can deteriorate in some instances... you can normally spot those coaches as well... they are usually, in my experience, the younger ones that have just consumed too many additives that hour!! Shocked

I suppose there are many terms and phrases used here that perhaps people would think twice about using in front of grandparents, teachers, etc, but at the end of the day, what one person finds offensive, the other will just use as the norm... Mention it to your opponent, or don't, it's up to you... I'm sure people might think twice after reading your post about usig that term in the future... or they might just use it more because they find it funny at the fact that some people can be offended by it... it depends on their maturity and class I suppose...
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Seppuku wrote:
Enough evidence was available in a couple of cases that actions were taken against the offenders, who confessed (and i'm not talking about due process of the Law).

Tsk, tsk, don't get me started on that one. Vigilances are the rot of the society.

Post 12 Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

But it is a common expression, and its kind of a case of you walking down the street and someone bumping into you and you saying 'Are you blind!?!?' only to turn round and see them carrying a white stick. If

I have done this
I work in tech support for the BBC a few weeks ago someone could not find an application on their desktop and he told me he was blind. I thought he was using it in a 'im so blind today' kinda context, so i told him to scroll to the last but one app on the list, to which he replied 'NO IM BLIND'. Naturally i was mortified and he thought that it was pretty funny anyway. Very Happy

Not sure why im relating this, mostly cos its funny, but mostly to point out that for something to be offensive it takes two people, one to cause and one to take. If you choose not to take offence then there is no problem! (if that makes sense)

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I get dice RAPED often. Sue me for being politically incorrect.

I shouldn't say the word pizza to my opponent since he could have had a traumatic experience of eating too much pizza, and that wouldn't be too nice.
jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

im not sure i take offence.. its only words..

but what i do find funny is when people claim to have been incredibly unlucky and thats the reason they lost their game. i like to watch the replays and in all the games that claim bad luck, all i've ever seen is a bad coach losing to a better coach.. there was average luck.. but just much better play from the opponent.

also i find it weird that no-one ever says they got "dice-humped" (by nice sexy lady dice Wink ) when they have a really lucky game.

lose the game -> blame the dice
win the game -> tell yourself it was all down to good coaching...

Rolling Eyes

R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG was the initials of my first love, who then ran off with my mum;
LOL was the nickname of the woman who murdered my dad;
WOW was the slogan on the shirt of the person who fired me today;
and GL & HF were the bullys at school who sawed off my legs.

Could you all stop saying these words during games please!!!

Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz Wink Mr. Green Very Happy

HEHEHE
mulvax

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

What Coffindodger doesn't realize is that "dicerape" is much more civil than what is going through the mind of the person who says it. Normally, you would hear a long, heated tirade of expletives so foul and disgusting it would make your ears burn. There could be unprovoked verbal attacks on you and your family, even your dog. We all remember the french knight from Holy Grail don't we. I shudder to think what could happen. So you may what to thank the person for keeping it realtively clean.
Gumbo

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

nice Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think people should stop whine about dices and luck. I take offence if they don´t...
But if you´re gonna whine, do it saying what you want, I don´t mind, it´s funny to hear it. At least this way you´ll get calmed down.

Just a whiner´s opinion. Smile
 Jump to: