72 coaches online • Server time: 23:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you find the term 'dicerape' offensive?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 153 ]
Don't care
21%
 21%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 227

screech

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Danger-Dan wrote:
On the subject of pizza, I have this to say:
The use of spam for ham in pizza seems not to have any real link to geography or culture - it is as widespread in Denmark and Italy as I assume it is in New York.

No self-respecting NYer would put spam on pizza. *RETCH*
The placing of ham or spam, like the placing of pinapples or avacados on a pizza, is a Californian thing, and as I said in a previous post; vile. *EVEN BIGGER RETCH*

If you do come to the City you MUST try a slice or a few. It is one of the things I would consider local cuisine. Not to say there isn't bad pizzarias in the City, (Oh thank you "Joe of the Village", like we Brooklynites really needed some snotty pretentious jack-hole establishment from namby-pamby NYU land to come into our borough and show us how to make pizza. Like we Outer Borougher's havent been doing it now for years. Your sauce taste like dog-waste and your crust is burnt. /end rant) but there are many Many fine pizzarias throughout the 5 boroughs.

A fun game to play; is to walk around Manhattan and pick out all the Famous Rays pizza parlours, and all the Originals Rays. Bonus points are given for finding a Famous Original Rays. And as far as I know, none of them are related to each other.

Oh and on another note

BadMrMojo wrote:

I have gotten so sick of attitudes like this that I have essentially quit FUMBBL for a while.

Say it ain't so.
Monday Night Bloodbowl Smackdowns aren't the same without you around.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

People still play divR smackdown tournies? me wanna hear more.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Personal opinion here, without getting into the debate...

if someone rolls a couple of 1s, throughout the rape, then his DP gets sent out on the first foul, and starts complaining about dicerape, well they are being a friggin idiot...

and if every block u make breaks their armour and injures them, u do eight 2-turner TDs with a beginner dwarf team and don't use a re-roll in the process, then your opponent might have a point...

conclusion, dice rape is a harsh term, but justifies only 1% of its usage. the other 99% tend to use it coz it sounds kewl and its the in thing to say... like most phrases, they tend to live for a while and then die... go and play backgammon online and call your pice a blodger, and see what ur opponent thinks abt it...

oh, and when was the last time someone in a game said f*ck you, and you answered 'yeah thanks, i really would like to but my wife is frigid'... just tell ur opponent to respect the language for personal reasons (or coz ur 12 and ur mum is watching the match with you) and ur opponent will apologise and behave...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Scratch

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

i dont find dicerape offencive, nor do i find dicerape annoying. dicerape is a common term used by games such as us and you (if not why are you here?)
Its not like i walk up to smaller and or weaker people than me and say your such a dicerape! or dicerapeoff.
i think there is a line that we all must be aware of but dicerape does not cross it in anyway.
i myself was myself raped by a dice many moons ago, as the current legal system doesnt support the trail and imprisoning of dice the charges were never taken to court. and im fine with the phrase dicerape.
what i wanna know is who the other 17 people who voted yes as well as captain correct.

( i am aware that sometime i cannot spell. is called dysblebleblia)
DICE YOU, YOU DICERAPING, DICE!
Scratch

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

well after my 1st post i read in detail all the other posts....it took a while but i read them all.
and as such i have taken a more serious look at the debate.
There was a news report last year that several shopping centres and shops have banned santa and other christmas decor because of religious conflicts. i.e. offending people
Now in my view that is offencive. a piece of british culture removed because of it offending people.

let me ask you. Is that right?

Many of your comments seem to be ignoring the fact that rape has more than one meanings, as indeed for example fagot does. It is potentially an offensive term to homosexual individuals or a food. Spotted dick is a pudding....is my point being soaked in?

And as for calling us 'being the no voters' as inconsiderate 'younger' player is itself inconsiderate?

What im sick and tierd of is perfectly innocent things being torn down by those so called considerate people. that value the fickle feelings of a few easilly offended people more than the views of other perfectly upstanding and law abiding members of society.

Just because some of you people are hiding behind big words doesnt give you the right to tell anyone else what to do. it is a totally unreasonable thing to ask people not to use a commonly associated term.
you tell us to grow up? why dont you get real? and realise that there are things wich might offend you, but that doesnt mean it should be cast aside!

I myself love the movie dodgeball as im sure many of you guys do. but i am offended by a particular part 'dyslexic players are not allowed'. i am dyslexic, i find dylexic jokes funny but that is in no way funny to me. but i have still watched it 6 or 7 times because i love everything else in it. why can we not all apply the same reasoning behing blood bowl? we are here because we love the game. just because one phrase offends you, you apply the negative mantle of it being the downfall of fumbbl. Mad

GROW UP AND REALISE THAT BLOOD BOWL IS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE.
Stop being so damn negative about it. if you dont like it play faster to scroll off the messages.

Oh and for the record i have never even used the term dicerape (execpt in my previous post) and have never seen anyone in a game use it. most of my opponents have been the so called younger players.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

As my father once put it to us when we were young: "There are no such thing as swear words. There are just some words that your Grandma doesn't want to hear."

It didn't occurr to me at the time, but this is in fact a reasonable paraphrase of some of the wisest words I have ever heard spoken; by one ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi to an angry Luke Skywalker, regarding truth and one's point of view...

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

How hard is it to describe horribly bad luck without using tasteless, insensitive and over the top words?

If you can't be bothered to develop a decent vocabulary, I won't waste my time playing against you. I came here for fun. Crass juvenile behaviour is not fun. Enforcing policies that regulate common decency shouldn't be required. I've grown sick and tired of dealing with people who try to defend the undefensible. That is one of the contributing reasons why I've virtually given up on FUMBBL. It's just not fun anymore.

I'd like to thank Shepherd, Wotfudboy, BadMrMojo, Karhummies, CorporateSlave3, Covertfun, Macavity and generaljason for their thoughtful comments. They did a great job in giving solid arguments for common decency. I'd particularly like to thank Covertfun for his brilliant assault on that vacuous term know as "Political Correctness".

If these folks were in the overwhelming majority, I might still be playing regularly on FUMBBL. They give me some hope that FUMBBL could become an friendly community again , just like it was when FUMBBL was young. When my addiction to Blood Bowl becomes unbearable and I come back to play, you folks will be amongst the first I seek out for a match.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Political Correct?

edit: I am deliberately not responding to Jinxed out of context cut and pasted remarks that follow. My arguments use sentenced grouped together into paragraphs for a reason: to make a specific point.

Responding to selective cutting and pasting tends to degenerate into a pointless back and forthing. Responding to such obvious straw man arguments is a waste of time and effort.

None the less, I'll add a small clarification. The crass and juvenile behaviour that I'm pissed off at, are those people who insist on their right to use offensive language after they have been informed that a signigicant minority find their ugly turn of phrase tasteless, offensive and over the top.

Last edited by EvolveToAnarchism on %b %24, %2005 - %00:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
Wylder

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Im willing to bet that I cant make a player called "DiceRape", yet I can say it as much as I want over forums/chat.

Does this place have a language policy or not?
dannyrax

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate alot of games out there where luck is involved. Especially games like Risk. Risk is probably one of the top ''strategy war game'' were luck is involved where the strategy itself as very little impact on your chance (hehe) to win the game. But a bad strategy in Risk can however make sure that you will not win, luck on your side or not.

In Blood Bowl, luck is a major factor to victory. But strategy can really help to force luck on your side. And that is the reason why I have a love and hate relationship with this game. More love then hate I must say, or I would not be here right?

With that said, I often find that I suffer from time to time to long stretch of bad luck. I have in memory one game that happened last week where my opponent got three times in the same game the kickoff result ''Blitz''. But I could have played better and not let him score five times and making him the kicker five times in the same game. And I also often found myself in the position to suffer early Turnovers due mainly to my lack of any safe move at the start of my turn. I stated to my opponent that I was unlucky. And that's about it. And he said to me next, Yeah you are unlucky. I felt relived that he did not pointed out that I mostly tried to stop him from moving by glueing my players to his with really bad positionning, leaving him open to take advantage of the setup of the game...

What I want to say is that you can either let luck decide of your fate on the field, or try to expect the worst and play with the maximum safe move as possible.

I know it's not helping on the debate of the ''Say Dicerape or not'' debate. But often in life, we try to convince people of not being like this or say things like that instead of trying to make them look at the problem with another point of vue making them change their reaction to result we aimed for at the start.

You're not Diceraped, Diceraped is an illusion. You're just playing a bad game. In a game of Chess, the key tactic to victory is to make the opponent get in a situation where is only move is what we called a ''Forced error''. Same thing apply in BB. The only moments in a BB game we're pure luck is involved, is when you make a kickoff, or roll for the gate. The rest of the time, no one is forcing you to make a one dice move. When you do, you are indeed leaving your fate in the hands of luck. And luck is equal for everybody.

So next time instead of saying; I've been Diceraped (which is just a stronger expression for ''Unlucky''), say I should have played more safely. Not taking that much chances.

Or just print that little list of nice thoughts to read or things to do when you're unlucky!!!

1. Life is beautiful.
2. Flowers are beautiful.
3. Using a toilet after waiting a long time is really satisfying.
4. Sing any songs from the group Queen (they are all great especially Get down make love, which really fit to a situation were a block ended with skull/pow results and both players are prone)
5. Dip a chocolate chip cookie in a big glass of milk and eat it, goooood.
6. You have computer and are playing a game on the internet, that's being lucky... Lots of people can't do that.
7. Keep a picture of your lover next to the screen, or if you don't have any get a fictious one from ANY magasine.
8. You can also sing March of the pigs from Nine Inch Nails to cheer and boost your team. (I often speak to my players, I'm crazy though...)
9. Force yourself to laught. (once you get started, imagine yourself laughting a your computer and laught for REAL!!!)
10. Do whatever you like.
11. Think that I'm an idiot for posting this silly list...
12. Do whatever you don't like.

Edit: 13. (that's a good one, I was playing against a team of Dark Elf and the other guy said somethin' like this.) Hey there's a party in the Dug OUT, everybody is invited! (The guy had four or five players KO and it looked like he was on the way to have all is players in dug out soon... I asked if there was alcool and he replied) There's all kind of liquor available... lol!!!

Have a nice day

And I hope I gave a smile to some of you out there. It seems after reading all those long pages of reply that alot of people needed to.

Very Happy Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Razz Rolling Eyes Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Mr. Green

D

-Al Pacino in Carlito's Way (1993)
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If you can't be bothered to develop a decent vocabulary

A rather sweeping statement don't you think? I had a fine education thank you. As a matter of fact; my ability to speak in an eloquent manner is a main prerequisite of my job. Yet, I used (not too often but I did) the term a few times. And before we played I never met anyone whom took offense. Even if I think that you are overly sensitive to a term not solely and exclusively connected to sexual assault I apologised and made a mental note to not use that term since it is not my habit to offend people on purpose. After all; there may be more like you.

What I object against is the sweeping statements you make.

I feel it would be nice if you showed the same respect to others and their opinions. After all; I respected your opinion even if I felt you were overly sensitive.
Quote:
I won't waste my time playing against you. I came here for fun.

So what made you think others came here to be bored? Perhaps there are people who severly dislike your broad, sweeping statements too? Better stay away indeed if you are overly sensitive... Mind you; I had a fun game for the most part vs you. No personal attack intended. But I frown once again on your generalisations.

Quote:
Crass juvenile behaviour is not fun.

And I am sure you have a moral set of values what exactly is 'crass and juvenile'? woould you be so kind and enlighten the majority of us? Oh moral beacon of light in the vast darkness of fumbbl? Rolling Eyes
Quote:

If these folks were in the majority, I might still be playing regularly on FUMBBL. They give me some hope that FUMBBL could become an friendly community again , just like it was when FUMBBL was young.
I think you lost it here mate. Really do. Either that or the people on my white list whom I enjoy playing A LOT are similar 'crass juvenile behaving foulmouthers' and we just happen to be similarly uneducted and thus enjoying ourselves to MUCH lower standards than you require...

ergo sum;

If you take offense on anything; politely say so. And yes; your opponent SHOULD try and not to offend you. But it is also common courtesy to show the same respect you require from others.

my 2 cts. Peace in life and happy killing on the pitch.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

How hard is it to describe horribly bad luck without using tasteless, insensitive and over the top words?

I find it very hard personally. But I type them so fast they never come out correct. And although "nasty" terms have flowed from the keyboard on maybe 75+ games I've only had 1 coach ask not to use that language. At that point it's a simple enough decision to stay quiet.

It's not hard, one coach politely asks you to refrain from certain language and the other coach politely abides.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Dicerape offensive. Well if we take it for it, Blood Bowl is offensive because it incites to free violence and whoever plays BB must be a psycothic socipath unable to understand life and a potential killer and BLA BLA BLA
Proposed changes!
Necromancer: the one who's skill at rolling <b>skull</b> are unequalled.
Shaman: the one who summon <b>snake</b> eyes
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Can I be BOTH Necromancer AND a Shaman? Or is such a combination simply Jinxed? Laughing

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

GROW UP AND REALISE THAT BLOOD BOWL IS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE.
Stop being so damn negative about it. if you dont like it play faster to scroll off the messages.

Yes, bloodbowl is a positive experience. So why do some people insist on using terms which offend their opponent if the are informed about this? Why intentionally insult people you do not know? I simply can't grasp that! I have no real problem with people using any kind of terms they like - it's up to them if they want to come of as uncivil barbarians Wink

Another poster mentioned that since the majority seemed to deem it alright to use the term it was alright for everyone to use it.
Is that how right and wrong is determined? If that's the case I'm terrified. Once it was commonly accepted to treat black people as inferiors so everyone did it, but was it OK? If a white majority agrees upon the fact that talking down to a non-white minority is OK, does that make it right? What happened to ideoligies? What happened to common decency and dreams of a better world?

I never had much faith in humanity but I've never given up hope that people can be better. Don't you give up on this hope either. Make FUMBBL a better place and treat people with the same respect you demand. I'm not asking people to change themselves for others I'm just asking for them to treat others with a minor amount of the aforementioned respect for the brief duration that a game lasts. Maybe you'll feel better to?
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

BB-Pad wrote:

There has been no further comment from Coffindodger. Just a hungry troll? I don't think that Fumbbl members have become more offensive or intolerant recently, I just think the Fumbbl fora have become plagued by people who post contentious crap (sorry, pooh-pooh) and then sit back and watch the action. Do they even play blood bowl?

Just been ill for a week, and Yes i do play tabletop - just can't find the extra time for online games at the moment.

Cheers for the ongoing debate in my absence - and apologies for accidentally trolling Sad

From the poll result, most people aren't bothered by the phrase, so i guess it's here to stay...

BFN

Paul
 Jump to: