22 coaches online • Server time: 02:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lamby16

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody remember thte game from the Genesis/MegaDrive?? I thought it was one of the coolest Sega games ever.

Woudln't it be cool if they could adapt Blood Bowl to play in a similar manner?? I think a Pro PC/Console adaptation of Bloodbowl is a market that needs to be addressed. They've done it with 40k and Warhammer!
Mordus

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember it and have been trying forever to try and find a ROM of it that actually works. Shocked
Gran

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

There is already a PC game called Blood Bowl from 1995. Developed by Destiny Software Productions and published by Micro League. Jervis Johnson and Michael Hiebert designed the game. Rather good actually, but a bit über as all teams start with stars on the roster and the game has some specially made star players that are a tad overdone... (there is a mutant ogre with a statline that goes something like 6/8/2/11 or something like that... but this is just a faded memory, so I can be wrong on this one).

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

No, but there is a Bloodbowl-program out (old as hell)... It only work if you have DOS, though...

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I know of a real kewl Bloodbowl-program with which you can play games via the internet. It's called something like JavaBBowl. Razz
The_Mighty_Ren

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Gran wrote:
There is already a PC game called Blood Bowl from 1995. Developed by Destiny Software Productions and published by Micro League. Jervis Johnson and Michael Hiebert designed the game. Rather good actually, but a bit über as all teams start with stars on the roster and the game has some specially made star players that are a tad overdone... (there is a mutant ogre with a statline that goes something like 6/8/2/11 or something like that... but this is just a faded memory, so I can be wrong on this one).

If you want the Bloobdowl game you can get it legally (well, in a slightly contentiously legal fashion) for free at the Underdogs, which is a great place to go if you want to waste time downloading and playing old but often quite excellent games.

You might need DosBox to run it, I can't remember. But that's easy enough to find too.

It's okay, but incredibly easy to win, and tragically for only one player.

lamby16 wrote:
Does anybody remember thte game from the Genesis/MegaDrive?? I thought it was one of the coolest Sega games ever.

You tell lies my friend, Very Happy

Mutant League Football was a half-assed stripped-down vastly inferior John Madden clone (literally, EA just simplified the John Madden game and added a little more violence). Like the PC/Amiga Brutal Sports football, it was a nice idea that just didn't quite work.

Last edited by The_Mighty_Ren on %b %16, %2005 - %17:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

its not Bloodbowl, but speedball 2 is your game Smile
ultwe

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
No, but there is a Bloodbowl-program out (old as hell)... It only work if you have DOS, though...

Hi
Do you by any chance remember the name / know where it can be sourced..?
I have an old lappy with Win 3.1.1, I sure would like to have a go at it Smile

Ult.

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
KRaff

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Mutant League Football was done by EA and is still in high demand in resale shops, at least in the US.
Gran is correct on the Microleague game, except it did have tragic flaws such as start players that break the rules (a player with 11 av for example and a human with 8 str; stupid things like that.) The other down side, IMO, was that players never improved; you only made money to buy more stars.
Javabowl uses the sound effects from that game, in fact.
The_Mighty_Ren

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

ultwe wrote:
DonTomaso wrote:

Hi
Do you by any chance remember the name / know where it can be sourced..?
I have an old lappy with Win 3.1.1, I sure would like to have a go at it Smile

Ult.

Read my post above.
Follow the link.
Search for "Bloodbowl" (or possibly "Blood Bowl", I forget).
Download.
Play happily.*

*Or google for DosBox if you do need it to run the game.

brownrob wrote:
its not Bloodbowl, but speedball 2 is your game Smile

They have Speedball 2 there too, Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, The Underdogs is a true haven for all avid PC gamers who enjoyed the good old VGA graphics (...or EGA if your really old...). There are some true classics to be found there. You should be able to play it without DosBox on W95 and older, and maybe even on W98 if you manage to get the settings right. While DosBox is great it will probably need 1 GHz or more to run Blood Bowl (to run it good, that is. It should "run" on older machines too). If you decide to get DosBox I recomend you to get D-Fend at the same time, as it makes all the difference.

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
heinz

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever you do, DONT buy "Chaos League" (from 2004) - cheap BB real-time rip off. It sucks.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Chaos Lague is OK, not BB at all (even though they nicked a lot from it!)
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I have Chaos League and love it.

I also have Speedball 2 on the megadive and love that too.

I had Mutant League, and hated it.

PS. look what I named my Faction team after : Speedball 2
MixX

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah Chaos League is an ok game, problem is people see Chaos League, sees it´s similar to Blood Bowl, and immediately discard it for not being 100% Blood Bowl. And there is a (sort of) turn-based mode, where you get as long as you want (up to 40 secs anyway, which is more than enough) to plot out all your moves for the next 5 seconds.

It really is a quite fun game if you can manage to see beyond where it differs from Blood Bowl. I would say it´s about the same to Blood Bowl that Dark Omen is to Warhammer, ie many similarities, but also a lot of differences. I know Dark Omen was a licensed GW game, and Chaos League isn´t, but don´t let that fool you Smile

PS/ Here´s a link to the forums where you can find a demo if you want Razz

http://www.digitaljesters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

(shameless advertising mode off).

Last edited by MixX on %b %16, %2005 - %20:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: