12 coaches online • Server time: 06:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Conceding: strategy or suckiness?
Sometimes you gotta pack it in and fight another day.
24%
 24%  [ 19 ]
Bleed to death if you have to, but stand your ground, dammit.
30%
 30%  [ 24 ]
You're here to have fun. If conceding means more future fun, concede!
44%
 44%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 78

Shepherd

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just threw a match for the first time -- I was in a hurry for a game and took the first offer that came along without really looking. I don't think the other coach was really cherrypicking (well, maybe he saw my team and thought "this'll be a light game," but I don't think he was hardcore cherrypicking).

By the middle of the first half, it was painfully obvious that I was riduculously overclassed. My play started to deteriorate as things started to feel kinda hopeless. And obviously, the worse I played, the worse I got smacked.

By the beginning of the second half, I just wasn't having any fun with the game at all. So I talked a bit in chat with the guy, and he basically agreed that this wasn't really any sort of a contest, it was just me getting pounded into the field.

So I conceded. Better that, I figured, that lose the mummies on my Undead team, or the wights, or the ghouls -- just drop it while my positionals were intact, lose a point of FF, and live to fight another day.

Still feels like crap, though. I generally look at conceding as poor sportsmanship -- it's only a game, after all, tough it out. But I'd reached a point in the match where it was so obvious that if you matched our teams player for player, every player of his was a skill up on a player of mine, and all I had to look forward to was seven turns of pain.

As much as I rationalize it in my brain, though, it still feels like I'm a quitter.

So tossing it out there... concession ... strategy or cheesy exploit Razz?

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see the quality diference, but of course I can only look at your teams after the game.

Concession: do whatever you feel like.

If you don't think the rest is worth playing, then don't do it. I personally, don't concede because most of the time, I think I still have a chance at winning no matter how slim.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted on the have fun another day option, although I really think it sucks when conceded ( ? ) against. You should get some more benefits for your team if your opp conceds. +1 ff automatically and maybe..... Probably best as it is, or it would be abused to much.

Note to self: Don't think loud in forums when you are tired and can't spell.

PS buy a dictionary, can't spell it but you know what you mean. Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Conceding is always an option. It has nothing to do with chickening out, in fact it is the greatest compliment you can give an opponent. "You beat me so good i´m not even gonna bother trying". Well, at least I would be pleased if someone told me that.

No fun (or future fun)= no idea in continuing. Vote Yes! to concedes...

M

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Wonder what Don Cherry would say about this.

I have conceded a few games in 3 years at Fumbbl. All the time, I retired the team immediately after. Usually when a team starts to annoy me, or bore me or start to suck alot THEN you get waxed royally the LEAST the team can do is quit in disgrace and give the other coach some cash and a MVP.

Last time I conceded was with my High elfs vs Kenty. This team would roll disasterous 1's, suffer enourmous cas and embarrass the hell out of me. Finally got sick of the teams luck and gave Kenty's zones some free cash and a MVP. All balances out, as I have killed over 150+spp in wolf's on his Sleeper team. Smile

Sometimes a team needs to be trashed, no point in wasting yours or your opponents time.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't concede. I don't mind if my opponent does.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

So far, for me the only reason for conceding are RL matters.
A surprise visit by relatives induced my one and only concession.

CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Never conceede (unless your relatives drop by for a surprise visit - or the like).

You may be giving some small benefit to your opponent, but you're robbing him of the SPP that his awesome luck should be granting him. I don't see it as a complement, as most games going this badly are due far more to dice rolling than skill on either side - I see it as an insult: "You're having good luck, so I'm going to cut your game short. I know, you may have been getting horrid luck for the last 10 games and a) be due some justice, b) desperately need some justice, and c) really need motivation to keep playing BB at all, but I just don't want to be bothered letting you have it."

I would never* conceede - if I'm getting whomped that badly I just take it gracefully and hope that when it's my turn to get the long end of the stick my opponent will be as kind.

*I did conceede once, for reasons similar to VanGorn's.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

i fail to see why i should endure the 10th game in a row of pure stupid luck just because my opponent might not be rewarded enough with double winnings and double MVP. especially when he takes 3 minutes a turn and the game's already terribly unbalanced =)

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I conceded one because my rookie chaos team got pounded into the ground. I was winning 1-0, but my troll and 2 beasts niggled, one beast dead. You cant recover from that as a first game, so I told the guy i was going to retire the team and asked him whether he would prefer the natural victory or would prefer for me to concede (i totally wasnt enjoying the game, but i offered to play to the end), he chose concede.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

As i play to have fun and think this also is true for my opponent i don't mind if he concedes because he isn't enjoying the match. I don't concede myself as i can also see the fun in my team getting pounded into the ground. Sometimes when i've had enough i just don't stand my players up anymore but most of the time i just try what i can do with the players i have. Smile
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Myself, I'd rather not concede if I intend to keep playing the team afterwards, simply because even that extra MVP could be useful, and I might get lucky and get a few casualty or completion SPPs, if nothing else. WHORE FOR THE SPPS!
ruoste

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Concessions can be funny for the both parties in question, everybody likes them, especially when some pansy elf stars or tentaclemonsters pack it up and leave the teams. Nothing beats the CONCESSION! coming from BP in the main chat when it actually happens.
So, people. You all should concede more often, it's really funny!
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I never have a problem when my opponent conceeds. I love it! much needed money, another random mvp to possibly help that one goof off that won't skill up, and FF. but most of all, IT'S A WIN! something that comes rare these days for me : )

on the flipside, I've only conceeded twice. Once a bit out of spite...having waited like 5 weeks for the tourney game only to be dice raped the first half. Second was for team preservation. A chaos team kicked my butt so hard, I just didn't have enough players to give him a decent game...didn't want him to just target spp for 10 turns so I conceeded...since basically game was already over. both times left a bad taste...but got over it.
I've also never conceeded in table-top. There I fight and foul to the last breath!

dang ruoste, how did you get such a wide avatar? looks cool though.

ok, signing off

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
I don't concede. I don't mind if my opponent does.

Just you wait, you will concede to me! *evil laughter*
 Jump to: