27 coaches online • Server time: 04:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think this is a better Norse Team than what we have now?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 37

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

With the ongoing discussions as to what Big Guys Norse should have (As it stands, Yeti will replace the mino in the Vault 1.10) but there has been much discussion about a Norse team revamp. A lot of folk want to get away from the 6 3 3 7 statline, and Ive known plenty of folk wanting Ulfwerners and Werebears thrown into the mix.

One of the suggested changes to the Norse roster is as follows: Please note that the skills are Vault skills, so take the time to read the Vault rules! Wink

As it stands, this team will likely not make it into the Vault, but if it recieves a lot of support, Galak has said that he could think long and hard about it.

feedback about the roster is most welcome (Note this isnt my roster and Im taking no sredit for it LOL)

Code:
0-16 Linemen     6 3 3 7  50,000 Block                    G   ASP
0-2  Throwers    6 3 3 7  70,000 Block, Pass              GP  AS
0-2  Catchers    6 3 3 7  90,000 Block, Catch, Dauntless  GA  SP
0-2  Berkserkers 6 3 3 7  90,000 Block, Frenzy, Jump Up   GS  AP
0-2  Ulfwereners 7 4 2 8 130,000 Break Tackle, Frenzy     GS  AP
0-1  Werebear    4 5 2 8 130,000 Loner, Claws, Frenzy,    S   GAP
                                 Thick Skull, Wild Animal
Rerolls: 50,000
0-2 Star Players Allowed: Icepelt Hammerblow, Morg ā€˜nā€™ Thorg, Thrud, Zara the Slayer

Star Player:
Icepelt Hammerblow  (plays for Norse)
                 4 6 1 9 270,000 Block, Claws, Disturbing Presence,
                                 Mighty Blow, Regenerate

Things i like about the roster:

Its a fluffier roster... Feels more like drunken Norsemen than Chaotic Marauders (catchers reflect this! Drnken players are more likely to pick a fight with a bigger guy!
A lot more interesting... I for one dislike the 6 3 3 7 statline we have now, but the above roster is a lot more interesting than 4 Blitzers

As I say, its just a thought and your opinion is as valued as any other Smile

Rob[/b]

Last edited by SnakeSanders on %b %18, %2005 - %13:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
milnestar

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it. I remember the old version of BB where norse teams could field werewolves so I would welcome any change to the pretty boring current player positions that they have.

Norse should be great fun, yet at the moment they are not different enough from normal humans. ( In the fluff sense I mean )

I aint the right person to tell you if the stat lines are balanced or not, but I like the idea at least

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

When you add +ST in 2 players of any team, then that team becomes better.

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

they also lost -AG and Block for 2 players Smile

they are also 30k more expensive for each one!
knottt

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

without those dauntles it could work, still seems very strong though
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a bit of a silly statement Rob. I know damn well which player I'd take.

This looks to me like your usual overpowered rubbish roster.

Ulwereners are better than a Bull Centaur. +MA = Sure Feet + Sprint, and they start with Break Tackle already, as well as Frenzy. So you essentially have a stupidly mobile crowdpusher/blitzer. Should be at the very least 130K.

It also falls into the usual trap of giving away too many skills trying to be fluffy. Keep the catchers as they are normally.

I'd actually go for:

Linos - same
0-2 Throwers - same
0 - 4 Beserkers - same
0-2 Ulfwereners 6428 Frezyk - 100K (probably undercosted - AV7, AG3 players are probably overcosted slightly anyway)

Whatever Big Guy you decide on.

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Think about this ......... what skill that you could want does this team NOT start with?

This is a team as it should look after maybe 25 matches - its not a starting team.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Those st4 thingys are far far too powerful. Sorry Rob, no good in my opinion. Other than that it seems ok.

Seppuku

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

For those of us who don't know...WTF is an "Ulfwereners" in English?

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Im not sure but I think its a fancy way of saying werewolf.. at least it has something to do with werewolves. I think.
Gatts

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

what i like about norse as they are now is that they are a bashy/hybrid team that is really vulnerable.. they can dish out alot of pain but they recieve a lot too, to stick with this how about keeping the verners at av 7, oh and don't let them start with break tackle. makes them far too mobile maybe claws instead, norsemen's greatest problem has always been trying to keep up with the other more heavily armoured bashers. Anyone who's tried going head to head with dwarves or orcs as norse know what im talking about. Yup.. that's more like it, 7427 frenzy claw and say 100-110k.

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Seppuku wrote:
For those of us who don't know...WTF is an "Ulfwereners" in English?
Norse Werewolf ... they've been used by GW in Blood Bowl articles, WFB, and Man O' War for the Norse.

Galak
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

chunky04 wrote:
This looks to me like your usual overpowered rubbish roster.
I'd agree with the 130k on the wolves. However, I have played this type of werewolf in my table top league and we've never found it to be overpowered at all (in fact everyone in my league has had problem getting SPPs as the Frenzy makes him an unreliable hitter and the AV 8 with no Block makes him a nice target on a team filled with Block). The AV 8 makes it a lot more vunerable than the Bull Centaur's AV 9 with Thick Skull. BUT ... the Norse team was solid to begin with so I can conceed the point after thinking that 130k is not out of the question as an accurate cost.

Also keep in mind that in the PBBL rules ... Dauntless, Claws, Frenzy, and Jump Up are all not nearly as good as they are in the LRB 4.0.

Dauntless is D6+ST to beat opponent's strength
Claws always breaks AV on rolls of 8+
Frenzy requires you now to GFI for the 2nd hit
Jump Up will require an +2 modified agility roll to use a Block action with it.

So if you just take the Norse team in the LRB 4.0 ... you see that the Berserkers/Blitzers take a real hit as two of their 3 skills are now worse.

I fully understand adding more skills is not usually more better but Catch Dauntless on an Gen/Ag access player is not the most utility mix. If you are needing Catch ... odds are you aren't going to in the mix to best use Dauntless ... likewise if you are mixing it up to use Dauntless, the usefulness of Catch goes down. We've used this catch in my league for some time on Norse and not found the 3 skill mix to be that bad as they aren't necessarily complimentary.

Anyway ... just wanted to mention for those not up to date on the PBBL that the Norse team takes definite hits from PBBL. This gives it back a bit with some different flavour to the team.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on %b %18, %2005 - %05:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Lord_Makari

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

personally, the best way in my book to fix norse is take away block from everyone but the blitzers, and add frenzy to everyone. adjust prices acordingly.

wala, they are then equal to zons in skill power, and thus not weaker then their sister team. zons get 12 free doubles, spread out amongst 12 players. norse get jump up (a skill not normally within their ability to get, even on a double) and a free double, on four people. Norse get hosed.

the idea was great, give zons dodge, give norse block. but norse need a double to keep up with zon linemen after 6spp.. i say frenzy to the whole lot of em' and let us get block like everyone else does. after a td, a cas and a cp.

=P
Kazun

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been a Norse player for quite some time now. I love 'em, but I agree they could use a touch-up. The comparisons to the amazons have already been made. Quick question... was the werebear supposed to be a big guy? Or... what? I would say drop the werebear, decide on a big guy, give the Ulfs claws instead of break tackle. The dauntless on the catcher is, as others have stated, kind of silly. I personally don't even field catchers (not with 4 blitzers Razz). How about getting rid of their dauntless and giving them nerves of steel, and maybe up the cost 10-15k. Norse are used to getting hurt (some probably enjoy it), and they aren't about to let a team of angry Blood Bowl players charging at them dissuade them from earning their ale.
 Jump to: