67 coaches online • Server time: 00:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I need advice for which skills to select for the following positions

Bomber

Chainsaw

Pogo

If you have any suggestions, do say so cos im confused at this stage Smile
Id like to give the chainsaw guys something like DP, but im not sure it works right. Similarly with the bomber, i guess accurate and stuff are great.
With the Pogo guy however, i have grabbed sure feet and catch so far, and dont know if thats right for my other dude, what would anyone suggest
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Pogo - Sure Feet, Sprint, Side Step, Catch, Diving Catch (not in that order necessarily). Much like a standard catcher, except he can go REALLY far. If an opponent is foolish enough to pushblock a Pogo with Side Step too many squares downfield, you might score a turn sooner than you would otherwise...

Chainsaw- Pro for sure (extra chance to get the chainsaw running!). If you wanted him to also play defense (this would be one vicious safety!), pass block maybe combined with diving catch, diving tackle, and on doubles tackle and kick. If you wanted to improve his mobility for fouling players, then sure feet, sprint, and if he gets +AG, Leap.

Bomber - Safe Throw before Accurate, since you tend to throw bombs where they can be intercepted. As long as you have those passing skills, Sure Hands allows the bomber to also handle the ball. Hail Mary Pass is also an excellent idea to combine with the Pogo's Diving Catch, especially since Strong Arm is never available to stunties.

For all these guys, on doubles Block is probably a very good idea to make them much harder to take down (especially important for the chainsaw guy. Messy).
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

What Solomon said...
But I'd go for Sidestep with the saw... if they block/blitz you and you don't go down, you might move one step closer to someone, and don't have to Blitz with him... Blocking with the saw is always nice... Saving the blitz for someone else...

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Had another thought about the pogos...I suppose in some cases these guys could also be cage breaker/ball blitzer types, especially with a +AG roll. Sure Feet and Sprint would still help you get to the ball carrier more easily. I suppose you'd need a lot of doubles to really have an effective blitzer, though. Strip Ball or Tackle comes to mind as the most useful skills if you only get one double to use, even before Block. With Strip Ball, even if the pogo goes down, so might the ball. Tackle takes care of both Sure Hands AND Dodge in many cases...
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers guys, so, if i use sprint with the pogo sticker, wouldnt it be discounted, since he can already GFI 4 squares, or could he go further? Smile
Atm my main pogo lad has sure feet and catch, so if sprint will make him go even further then im all for it Very Happy

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry, but sprint doesn't work with a pogo, you can't move further than 4 GFI Sad
Dust

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaws should consider Dirty Player on doubles. The modifiers are cumulative (giving you +6/+0 or +4/+2), and the Chainsaw player has a high risk of being sent off at halftime anyway. This will also protect him from further harm.

Last edited by Dust on %b %20, %2005 - %11:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I suspected as much Very Happy Well, hope for those +ma rolls then if theyre poss

Me Loves Futurama
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The chainsaw wielding loonie is unlikely to get much starplayer points other than from mvp, since chopping and fouling is his primary task. So the first skill picked may be the only one during his lifespan.
On a double I would prefer block over pro, though he wouldn't use it often on offense. But since loonies often are targets of blitzes it may save their health.
On a normal roll sidestep is the best.

odi

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw:
regular skill: side step, diving tackle.
Doubles: DP and then block (I always go for the DP first, and foul whenever possible, since they will prolly be thrown out anyway)
After +AG, you might consider making him a passer too, since they don't have stunty, they make decent passers

Pogo: Sidestep, catch, sure feet
Doubles: block (DP for all those hard to reach fouls?) Hell, in stunty I'd ttake DP on everyone if I could Smile
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What did dust mean by this "(giving you +6/+0 or +4/+2)" I mean, I assume the +6 is on a foul to the armour roll, but whats the +4+2 thing :/
Also, how is it my bombers (whom i love with reckless abandon) have been lumbered with stunty, which their size doutbless deserves, but chainsaw wielding gobbos of (one would assume) similar proportions have not?
All things considered i rather liked the idea of my bombers being my passers, since the skills are mutually beneficial to either action.
Ive got diving tackle on one chainsaw guy and that seems to work ok atm, i guess i shall invest in those sidestep skills, although i await my first double in earnest Very Happy thx for the advice

Me Loves Futurama
Arcon

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Furious_George wrote:
What did dust mean by this "(giving you +6/+0 or +4/+2)" I mean, I assume the +6 is on a foul to the armour roll, but whats the +4+2 thing :/

+4 is +3 from chain saw and +1 you get for every foul (is this cumulative?). If that brakes the armor, your +2 bonus for DP is used for the injury roll.

Furious_George wrote:
but chainsaw wielding gobbos of (one would assume) similar proportions have not?

You have it in your text: They are wielding large, nasty chain saws....
The_Mighty_Ren

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon wrote:
Furious_George wrote:
but chainsaw wielding gobbos of (one would assume) similar proportions have not?

You have it in your text: They are wielding large, nasty chain saws....

Though why this makes them able to throw the ball further, fluff-wise, I have often wondered . . . Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Dust wrote:
Chainsaws should consider Dirty Player on doubles. The modifiers are cumulative (giving you +6/+0 or +4/+2), and the Chainsaw player has a high risk of being sent off at halftime anyway. This will also protect him from further harm.

Chainsaw + DP doesn't work correctly in the client, it is a waste of a double.

Chainsaws: Sidestep and sure feet on normal rolls, block then pro on doubles.

Pogo: Sure feet + catch on normal rolls, Block and tackle on doubles.

Bomber: Pass first then accurate, safe throw on 3rd normal skill (interceptions are rare and if they happen are just as likely to go off in the opponenets hand then come back at you). Block or strong arm on doubles.
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm, is DP and chainsaw ever likely to work together in the client? It seems like a pretty healthy combination Very Happy

Me Loves Futurama
 Jump to: