32 coaches online • Server time: 14:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I just agreed to play an equal TR game. When I start the client it turns out the other guy has altered his TR in order to get handicap. Thus I found myself in a game versus a different opponent than I had said OK to. This behaviour is to me, although not as severe, in principle equal to saying yes to a play with your elves and then fielding your 3 DP halflings instead.
Back home nobody would ever dare to pull off such a thing. Naturally I am bewildered and amused by the weird FUMBBL etiquette.

The questions:
1) According to FUMBBL rules, can you alter your TR after finding an opponent?
2) Is it proper etiquette to do so?

I couldn't find any info on this in the either User Guide or the Rules section.

By the way, the other coach was a friendly and sensible person so we simply agreed it would be best if we didn't play since we had totally different opinions on the issue.
Mr_QB

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

1) yes it is allowed
2) It is no way the proper etiquette, if your gonna change something at least have the curtesy to tell your opponent that you intend to hire stars, drop in tr by firing staff or players etc. before connecting to the game!

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Welll.... in normal ranked games i wouldnt say its good sportsmanship, but in tounemënts i would do it anyday, depending on what the cost to my team would be.... just like the little surprice star 2 sec before the game, tounements are to be won at all cost Very Happy, but then again, i´ve been dissed on this matter before.
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

mUst wrote:

In open-style tournaments?
In tournaments with fixed matches, naturally there's no problem.
Tommi

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Nuffle should have stayed in his cursed mother's womb, she should have had pity on our lost souls and killed nuffle while she still had the chance.

We wouldnt have BB then, would we? In BB you can make changes before match, but as your can see them, he can react before the game (though not cancel it), so it's poor etiquette to make changes without notifying about them..
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Yes, you're allowed to do anything until you've connected.
2) I wouldn't like it, and I figure most people wouldn't. Best is to ask what the other is going to do with his cash before connecting.

Regarding 1), I'll have to pull off a game with a friend one day and fire all my players before connecting, just to see how he reacts. Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had it done to me on several occasions and subsequently now I've done it myself a couple of times.

As far as I'm concerned, it's something I now factor into any match. I look at his roster & tr/ts, and accept that maybe if he fires a coach or 2 he'll get a handicap, or vice versa. Really, since ranked is competitive, I think this is fair game and you just have to be a bit sharper when taking matches.

Of course you can always just hope the coin gets palmed and that he's weakened his team unnecessarily!

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
I've had it done to me on several occasions and subsequently now I've done it myself a couple of times.

I don't second this way of thinking.

Back to the topic:
1) as said a dozen times before, it is legal.
2) it's bad sports to do so without a warning, just as hiring a Star without telling is. I never ever turned down a game because of a star, but those who sneak a star into their rosters without letting me do the same (I host most of the times) go directly to my dnp list.

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

At least Jan tells me when he will hire a Star AND a wizard before playing my poor cd's Razz

Hurray for Jan!

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
At least Jan tells me when he will hire a Star AND a wizard before playing my poor cd's Razz

Hurray for Jan!

Hurray!

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:

Hurray for Jan!

same here you allways know when Jan brings a star

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

i think firing people, coaches etc is a bit off, but hiring guys is fair play, the cash in your stash goes towards tr so if your opp has hired 2 extra guys its still what your team should be facing for its TR. Hiring stars is a bit different, but thats fumbbl for ya
Schalburg

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really see the difference between hirering stars or to fire coaches before the game has begun. But they are both underhand tactics which I gladly put to use if I think I'm up against a skillful opponnent.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm of completely the opposite opinion! Hiring a star or new players without warning is really bad sportsman ship. When you challenge you challenge with the players you have, and if you're going to alter that you should let them know.

That sounds slightly contradictory given I condoned firing coaches to get a handicap, but if somebody with a higher tr/ts is challenging you really they should at least accept it might happen. That's why there's a difference in tr, because one team is "better" than the other!

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Do not do unto others what you would not like to have done to you...