52 coaches online • Server time: 12:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Noobdude

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, didn't know where to put this post.

I am relatively new to this game and I wanted to know what teams I should start with. Playing the board game I have SHIT rotten luck with dice and I have been told Human and Orc is really the only way to go with noobie.

Would that about cover the noob choices? Human or Orc?

Any help I can get to speed me on my way to my first fumbbl side would be appreciated.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Try orc. They're rather good, unless played by an admin in a fumbbl cup IV qualifier! BUAHAHAHAHAAH!

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse and Amazon are pretty vanilla, too.

GOLDEN RULE OF LEARNING TO PLAY BLOODBOWL: it's more important to play often than to play well. Don't worry about the "right" moves, just jump in with both feet and mess around a lot. Once you've got a feel for the game, you can start to work on solid strategy.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say start with an Orc team and a (wood) elf team. This allows you to explore both the bashy style and the passing style. This way you can learn what style of play best suits you as a coach.

They are among the most forgiving of races, since Orcs will nearly always survive, and woodies will nearly always score.

Another tip: many new coaches tend to keep extremely bashed up teams around too long, only getting more bashed up in the mean time.

If you do lose a lot of players to injuries or ageing, just retire the team and start a new one. Try some different starting line-ups, which can be found here on the site.

Oh, and welcome to the game!

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Orc huh? Cool, they dont look like a ball handling side, so I gather they are for beating down the opponent, THEN maybe scoring?
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

true, but play them as orcs should be played. that is, don't try to score 3 TDs per half, don't pass unless it is absolutely necessary, and not farther than quick pass if you can, protect the ball and the ball carrier, make only 2 dice blocks unless you're completely stuck, etc. play conservatively.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs, Chaos Dwarves, Undead and Goblins would be my suggestions for beginner teams.

Noobdude

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Elves look real expensive and I guess rely alot on dice rolls, and my luck with rolls blows, 2+ give me troubles Smile

Norse and Amazon look promising, but also quite painful. How do they go long term with AV7?
Noobdude

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Just reading the PBBL thing on the bloodbowl website. The sides are different as are the rules. Im confused now.
OverDose

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies goblins a suitable noob team? Wtf. In my opinion both chaos dwarves and goblins are way too hard to coach for a noob. Orcs are sweet for new coaches. I started with wood elves, and played only with elves for a couple of months or so. I got enough snake eyes to get rid of that stupid "elves can do anything!" attitude. Hmm.

I do agree with shepherd, play a lot of bloodbowl first, and then start thinking about the right moves. If you're not accustomed to the game you can't be good at it.

I would strongly suggest playing with orcs. Amazons will break easily on the hands of a n00b coach who thinks that 3+ RR dodges are sweet.
Noobdude

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

With overwhelming support, the Orcs have it. A new franchise will be opening an orc side soon. Stay tuned to the spectacular failings of Coach Noobdude and his band of roughnut Orcs.

Thanks for the help guys. 'preciate it.
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Luck!

You can have plenty of teams.. try them out.... don't get stuck in one 'genre'...

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Noobdude wrote:
With overwhelming support, the Orcs have it. A new franchise will be opening an orc side soon. Stay tuned to the spectacular failings of Coach Noobdude and his band of roughnut Orcs.

Thanks for the help guys. 'preciate it.

Do you really want to appreciate the word failure?
Elves, any race.
See how Nuffle loves them
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are cool.
AV9 gives them durability.
AG3 gives them some pass&run options
ST4 positionals, 8 players with Strenght access, and a Big Guy give them huge bashy power.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2005 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

About PBBL: Those are the proposed "next generation" rules (look I used a buzzword). You can safely ignore them while playing on Fumbbl. Just make sure you have LRB 4.