50 coaches online • Server time: 14:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've been getting into this high elf thing lately and I have to say it's pretty enjoyable. I enjoy a good bashing, too, but it's nice to play a changeup in style now and again.

So it seems to me my team's doing all right - so far. But I'd like some ideas as to what I should do next with my teams skills. Thanks to my last game against Jurri, which was a close loss, I ended up with quite a few nice skill rolls and realized that, while these last skill choices were easy enough, I really don't have a plan for my team.

So I was wondering: at this point, what kinds of skills should I be considering for my players in the future, assuming of course I don't lose anybody? Especially give me advice for my 2 +AG liners.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&team_id=198561
Mr_QB

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

you could use some tackle players and off course a bit more block on your lino's try scoring with lino's aswell, it is the easiest way to get them skilled up for block, you have only scored 1 time with a lino. plus your team could use a player with kick

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Skill up all the remaining linos to block (give one KICK!!!)

Then just buy the second blitzer, and then develop a sure hands / safe throw thrower (fire the niggler)

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Take a few blodgers, they are an elf staple. Get a few sidesteppers to put in the widezones, or on the LOS if need be. It is a good idea to get one or two guys with strip ball, so you can do those desperate -2 dice blocks and still get the ball. You *really* need some tackle. I would sack any niggled player if I had enough players and/or the cash. Whether or not you sack that thrower now, or later I leave to you - anyway, those +AG linos can be used as "throwers" in a pinch and I'd keep at the back for now, til they get block, or blodge.

And try to get your FF way up, FF6 won't do when you get into the higher TRs.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

retire the thrower asap ... you got to AG 5 players with whom you can play a decent passing game as well

now my route would be

lino: block, dodge, then side step or tackle depending on which skills you got on the rest of the team(if you lack tackle take tackle and vice versa)
lino: double: guard... second one depends on other skills the lino may have

blitzer: dodge, tackle, side step
blitzer double: MB

catcher: block, dodge, side step, DT, PB
catcher double: NOS

note: your skill selection also depends on the level you play ... for example a TR 150 team needs sure hands on their thrower more than safe throw - on the other hand i'd prefer safe throw over sure hands at TR 200+
also dodge can be more useful than block in the beginning ... but blodging linos wont win too many games from a certain TR onwards

so it slightly depends on your long term plans with the team too
dagger

Post 6 Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

On doubles I'd take Guard when it comes to elves. Highly useful skill.

/Dagger
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I took everyone's advice on firing the thrower. you're right, that was just 10 points of TR largely going to waste on my roster.

So I was looking at the +AG liners again...yes, excellent thrower types, especially since even without any skills they're throwing Short Passes on 2+. Ok, so let's say I give one of them Sure Hands and Block, or Pass (on a double). Would I then be wise to perhaps develop the other as a Wardancer-type ball striker/cage breaker? I'm thinking, since after 31 SPP it takes much longer to get skills, that I should go for Leap (16 SPP) then Block (31 SPP)? It seems to me at that point Strip Ball would largely be wasted at the 51 SPP mark as the majority of ball carriers I'd be facing probably will have Sure Hands?

Or should I instead rely on his ability to dodge 2+ into one covering TZ and choose Block first, then Strip Ball, and perhaps Leap if he gets that far (which would be the 51 SPP mark)?

Or should I consider another line of development altogether for the second +AG liner, since I probably could more easily develop a ball striking/cage breaking Lion Warrior? Perhaps a pass defender of some sort, with...what, Tackle, Pass Block, Catch, Diving Tackle, Diving Catch?
Smess

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO firing that thrower was stupid. Yes AG can throw as well, but no pass reroll, and giving one of those +AG liners sure hands first before block and dodge makes him easy to target.
When you had a trained the trower, you could use 2 AG5 guys in offence and that is hard to stop.

Anyway, i'd give one AG5 guy dodge as first skill, the other block. At 31 spp both blodge, a blodger with AG5 is realy realy handy and won't die that fast. Would go for leap after that, and guard on doubles for unexpected assists.
JB

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

strip ball is often a waste depending on the teams you will face
if you are planning to play elf-bowl mainly, then i'd advise you not to take strip ball, as most of the elven teams dont play a running game or if they do, they will have a sure hands ball carrier or a +ST elf in a cage ... anyways strip ball wont win any elf-bowl games

sure hands is not necessary especially if you are planning in long terms ... you will want to buy another thrower sooner or later and i'd see the AG 5 linos as a time-based solution for this position. later on you will need safe throw and a few other passing skills in order to rely on a passing game - unless you only roll doubles this will be hard to achieve, so i'd say develop them both as smess said: blodge and leap. i just disagree with the guard partly .... again it depends on your playing style but an AG 5 blodging, leaping lino with NOS is always a threat if he is left standing. he will therefore attract a lot of blitzes but this will also give your other players better chances to score. so i'd base my decision for a double on the skills of the rest of the team ... if you should need guard then take that - if you feel you got problems with scoring, take NOS
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2005 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I should probably tell you that I'll play just about anybody, not just elves with this team. My match record shows 4 elf teams and 4 bashy teams played so far, though I admit I've had better luck against elves. That's as much a function of the coach as the team, unfortunately. I'm working on that. Smile I can say, however, that scoring is not really a problem for me, unless I've been so beaten down that I'm lacking in the numbers to make a serious effort to score...and even then, sometimes my Lion Warriors' speed has scored me a TD when I had no business scoring one. My biggest problem, far and away, is defense. I suspect it largely has to do with my tactics, but are there some skills (besides Tackle of course) that I should work towards? Or am I just building basic Blodge skills for the nonce?

The reason I have/had so many RR skills on this roster is that I thought it would be a good way to alleviate my team RR problem - I only started this team with 2 RRs, so figured I should get some skills to help with that, hence the Pass, Sure Hands, Catch, and Dodge that this team had before I fired the niggled thrower. Of course, the means I haven't got a lot of Block or Tackle as has been pointed out to me.

So, since I'm not being overly cautious about my opponents, I'm going to need to load up on Block to play against bashies, and Tackle to deal with other elves...so what about other kinds of skills/players? Do I need to develop a couple Lion Warriors into cage breakers? Lots of Blodge elves to play against either type of opponent? Or focus more on Block and Guard (on doubles) to help with bashy teams? I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, but I think I'm starting to understand what my team will have to look like when it gets, say, over 200 TR...
 Jump to: