28 coaches online • Server time: 03:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Every loss I get and every draw I make is a testimony to the fact that I should/could have played better. Sometimes you might lose a game due to poor luck but luck alone is rarely a factor. I find that a loss/draw could often have been avoided had I just not made that one misclick or bad coaching decision. I need to play more conservatively and stall and foul without feeling guilty. These are some of my major flaws as a coach (besides not concentrating enough in general) and I need to overcome them to improve.

Love your enemy and all that Razz

Oh - and remember to have fun. That's basically all there is to it. If you have fun you won't feel pissed and you can even concentrate on playing better. Anger doesn't really get you anyway in a game designed for quick but solid thinking. Anger forces you to make bad moves.
slanter

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 08:17 Reply with quote Back to top

That's why fouling is so good... it makes your opponent lose their temper =)
*Also needs to foul more often*

Mimashi

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Lost a game against dwarves and was entirely my fault.. the better lessons about what not to do are those that you get when:

- Game starts good for you with a distinct edge on your luck
- You do a bad move due to distraction (bad positioning or even worse, misclick)
- THEN you get bad luck and suffer a turnover that costs you that winning touchdown.

Hehehe... be wary Pmg, next time I will play better AND still be lucky on armour/injury rolls!

Laughing
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
While cherrypicking my way up, I've noticed that the worse the coach, the more luck he has. Like throwing a long bomb with AG 3 ghoul, from 2 TZ's and catching it with AG 3 wight, with no rerolls. I don't mind losing to a better opponent (Well, yes I do, but then I can understand it), but when my opponent is clearly doing bad choices and still winning because of dice, I get very annoyed.

What is wrong. Succeding in such long bombs is 1 out of 6. No decent coach would try it. Well, let's say you are not good at all, you roll 3+ 3+ 2+ 2+ without rerolls, it's a 30% succes chances. That's still feasible. Isn't that what you will roughly find in they're winning percentage.

Good coaches can whine how much they want they quickly become very prudent (might someone translate it) considering an important 3+ roll as a drama.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

A minor point, but a good coach will try such desperate moves when they have been severely out-played/out-lucked earlier in the game, and have very limited opportunities left. Some coaches don't even try - saying - there's no chance they'll succeed -- sure, there's not much chance of dodging through 3 TZs to pick up the ball, but that's more than the zero chance you have if you don't even try -- sometimes it will even work Smile

MrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly, but when those desperate moves are random, it annoys me! Desperate measures are okay, if you have no other alternative, but when there would be much safer alternative and you still try the impossible and succeed, it just blows my mind. If you want, find the game from my played games and check it out. I won't give you a link because that would be impolite after all these things I have said.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

whether you have alternatives or not, a 6+ 6+ 6+ 6+ move is still very lucky to succeed.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

losing?
/me eat a cheery pie...
origami

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The better the coach, the less luck he needs to win...and the more he will make you pay for your bad moves or bad luck.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I've finally managed to win more games to lose. It was a long and winding road to get to this point. Now I'll start losing again.

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Let Q_i denote anything subject to weighting by a normalized linear scheme of weights that sum to unity in a set W. The Kolmogorov axioms state that

1. For every Q_i in W, there is a real number Q (the Kolmogorov weight of Q_i) such that
0<Q(Q_i)<1.

2. Q(Q_i)+Q(Q^__i)==1, where Q^__i denotes the complement of Q_i in W.

3. For the mutually exclusive subsets Q_1, Q_2, ... in W,
Q(Q_1 union Q_2 union Q_3 union ...)==Q(Q_1)+Q(Q_2)+Q(Q_3)+....
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 06, 2005 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like my looser teams. Those 4vs4 goblins, the Faction flings, the vampire team with the no retirement policy. They all face hopeless matchups very often, but they try their best.

Mimashi

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2005 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
Exactly, but when those desperate moves are random, it annoys me! Desperate measures are okay, if you have no other alternative, but when there would be much safer alternative and you still try the impossible and succeed, it just blows my mind.

For some strange reason... I suddenly find myself totally agreeing!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
pushbloke

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

im one of the few that can safely say, i dont mind losing, which is lucky really, cos i also do it all the time. what i really dont like is when i need anything but a 1, and roll a 1, then reroll it, and get another 1. that is really painfull, and doesn't seem right. but i do it all the time any way.
i have my own special dice, all arrows and skulls. makes life so much more interesting....
 Jump to: