32 coaches online • Server time: 01:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2005 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it? I mean; 10 teams for free is still for free isn't it? Only if you want to play more you have to pay a VERY small annual fee.

But frankly; I could not care less HOW fumbbl is improved. Very Happy
As long as a beautiful thing in this dark world gets better I am happy.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

i would like to see more fluff and things like that, I currently only use the site to grab a game when I can, I dont use the site for reading up and enjoying the stuff thats here. I guess somthing like the grott
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

@Jinxed
Doesn´t matter how small the fee is or how little you get from it...the point is that if you pay for something - anything - it is a paysite and would probably force Christer to register it as an income which leads to all sorts of nasty things tax-wise.

M
Laviak

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I'd like to see as a way of recognising people who donate is a tag of some sort - maybe a custom forum title or something. Possibly (though I am unsure about this one), people who have donated a 'large amount' could have a different tag (but I don't know that I'd want to see this anyway).

As far as how much you should donate ... I'd figure it out as something like $0.50 a game - or something like that ... but it really depends how much you can afford. If you've just won the lottery, a larger donation would be a nige gesture. If you're a student, maybe you can't afford that much - maybe $0.20 a game is more appropriate instead. That's how i'd figure it out anyway - others may have different ideas.

macike

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:
@Jinxed
Doesn´t matter how small the fee is or how little you get from it...the point is that if you pay for something - anything - it is a paysite

As I track the donation threads it seems that you are not the first who is trying to explain it to Jinxed (and this is not the first thread it has been stated).
I'm affraid it is beyond of Jinxed's perception.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Why would you want to have a tag that states that you have donated? Isn't it obvious that we all need to donate, and not brag about it? This notion is totally alien to me. Why would I want to brag, if I have the money to donate? Isn't the money in itself a reason enough to donate, not the supposed "glory"?

Post 3 Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

@MrMojo
In the Time for Donations to start flooding in topic I wrote:
Quote:
It is usual way that people gathering donations from pedestrians in the street give them in return a ribbon/badge/sticker. Whatever. This encourages others to donate also. Sometimes they see how many others have already donated. Sometimes they are embarassed that they have not so far.

This is a way to influence the others. That is why. Please refer to Mr. Robert B. Cialdini books for (how 'influence' works) examples .

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2005 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

What about giving everyone who donates a small icon on their page saying "Christer gets my allowance" or something? That would still count as a donation while giving some cred to those who help the site. I know this has been up for discussion before, but I can't understand why it hasn't been implemented.
EDIT: Sure, I missed the last page, shame on me. The point of said icon, as has been pointed out, is to make people more aware that you can make these donations, and that people are making them. It's like saying "thank you" to someone who holds up the door for you. You don't do that to pay him or her, but to show the person that the gesture did not go unnoticed and that it was appreciated.

And I don't get it why it shouldn't be possible to sign up for a year of monthly donations. As far as I know many non-profit organisations have services like this for their donors.

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I'm affraid it is beyond of Jinxed's perception.

Yeah. Me too.

10 teams for free is still for free no? And if you want more you get to pay a VERY SMALL amount for it?

Mind you; I can see that this could be seen as 'profit', but I also know it is quite easy to create a non-profit organisation with only 1 purpose; to keep fumbbl alive.

You get this macike? Cool

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

How about someone in charge (Christer?) posting a list of items that the money will be used for and listing the benefits of those upgrades. Then posting the prices of these items and the donations received so far. This would show people the "benefits" of donating and make them more likely to donate as an item gets closer and closer to being fully funded.

For example (all numbers ENTIRELY ficticious):
Upgraded server
cost=$1,000
available funding=$875
benefits=less lag, fewer dropped connections, etc.

All of a sudden, we would be doing our own "promoting" by starting threads within the forums. "Better service in $125." or "We only need 25 more donations of $5 to reduce lag!" would become popular post titles.

The best part is that those in charge are not asking for money; they are simply communicating their intent and use of any donations. The general FUMBBL public would be handling all the fundraising on their own.

In addition, a history of improvements would be made public and everyone could immediately see the benefits of donating. If such a history was available for any previous improvements already made, then that could be posted too.
Gran

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

@arnstar34: Hear, hear!

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
Coach_Lo

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

OK BOYS,
You have a computer ay your disposal.
You pay for an Internet connection.
Crying poor really seems to come off a little weak.
I love the fact this site is free.
But I do feel that everyone should donate something.
Time, money, new pix or sound packs, whatever.
How many of use remember when the server died?
That hellish days of waiting for things to be bought, fixed, set-up.
I know the Big C and the boys keep this site as a labor of love.
But love doesn't pay the bills.
Know body needs to know how much money or time you give.
Why? because you know and that should be good enough.
Some people have made some good points on how to generate
a steady stream of cash flow. My corporate lawyer has advised me
that there are far to many dangers in trying to do so. I know the powers that be already know this and that is
why they do not attempt to pursue this.
Ozjesting and I both have said on numerous occasion that if we won the lotto
we would personally fund any and all upgrades to this site. Sadly, this has not and probably will not happen anytime soon.
But truly, I believe that this is all done for the love of the game, not for profit.
I remember a time before Fumbbl.
Fumbbl has restored my faith in the possibilities in the Internet to do good,
to bring people together to enjoy the finer things of life.
So, give what you can or will and hopefully it will always be enough to keep this thing going.Very Happy

Coach Lo

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, you speak rarely, but when you do, it's all business. Impressive.

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank You. Razz

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank You. Razz

Jump to: