45 coaches online • Server time: 10:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quickie

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

lamby16 wrote:
I can see it working with people less bothered about SPP's and more about enjoying a fun game.

Then play Unranked. It's simple: Play ranked for making SPPs, Coachrating, good teams and maybe you have a fun game. Play unranked and you would have fun, but only if you don't look for SPPs and getting hard Teams too...

Anyway, I know many coaches that tried to recover a team over many games. They never managed, but they had fun. It's a matter of your attitude.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

lamby16 wrote:
The point i was making is that the game isn't ONLY about winning!!

We are talking about the Ranked division here, so it is only about winning. If you don't play for real, that's cheating. Both players don't foul, that's great, fine, and dandy, but you just can't agree not to beforehand. "Recovery game" implicitly includes a "no-fouling and let's play nice!" agreement, even more so if it's in a "recovery group".

Select an opponent that looks like he won't hurt you, but don't agree to not try to hurt each other.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

lamby16 wrote:

The point i was making is that the game isn't ONLY about winning!! it's about having fun, which people see mto have forgotten here. It's very hard to have fun with a team of less than 11 players due to SI/MNG/RIP when you get mauled, fouled and crowd pushed to make things worse.

good you found out this fun-aspect.... so i would suggest... if you have no fun with playing with less then 11 player teams.... dont use them....
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, part of the fun is brining a team back from the brink and making them successful, while not pulling your punches. You may lose 4-0 for a few games but how good will your first win feel when you stick with your team, its times like that, that make it seem worth sticking with them!
Dooby

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

If my team is beat up I just play players I know, from previous experience, are not going to foul me.
Gumbo

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is this is an open league, where you have hundreds of coaches all competing to be 'the best' (thats what it basically comes down to), so the weight of competition is always going to over power that of more frivalous 'fun' gaming. Go Unranked, you'll become less disillusioned that way Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

yeh i'd join put my 7 man skaven in there Razz they just want a cuddle
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=120761
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, nice cuddly team, perfect for recoveries!! Smile
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I never tried it myself, but putting the team on gamefinder may help.
I rarely look at the ranked section of gamefinder, but I received the impression it isn't quite littered with teams looking for recovery.

Panda_

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2005 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I had my only team (a skaven one), with less than 11 players during about 10 matchs (that team has made 34 match from now). I just recovered from it now. (It was so long, because i had no chance, and the apo didn't work at all in more than 50% most of those 10 matchs).

Believe that you can overcome that. Maybe play against less bashing teams, or teams with 12+ players, or whatever. But you can do it, IF YOU WANT.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2005 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

You can also resurrect month-dead threads, IF YOU WANT!

Smile
Fama

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2005 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. It's big fun.

Edit: Oh, forgot the usual spam line:

I like pie.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2005 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I once had a recovery game with my humans against PaulHicks Khemri. That's right, a coach who fouls at EVERY opportunity, and I came out with more active players than I went in with.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2005 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm - match fixing.

Do unto others, as you would like for them to do unto you, right? That basic rule (Plato's 'Golden Rule' no less) pretty much forms the basis of our democracy, our way of life, Human Rights - and so on and so forth.

However - were I to dislike being fouled, and hence abstain from fouling others - I then have the choice of either playing at a distinct disadvantage, or match mixing, right?

And the argument that both players will have more fun if the both were aware of the other's views on fouling, and respected that, is somehow, in this context, invalid, right?

(for those who need such emphasis, my use of the word 'were' above indicates a hypothetical question - and as such is not a statement of personal opinion)
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2005 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I think you've gone out of context, Dan. The thread was orignally (over a month ago) discussing SPECIFIC matches that would have specific "rules" added about fouling and crowd-pushing behaviour, implying that it could be an exception to the coaches' style.