52 coaches online • Server time: 23:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tomfromparis

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

hi.
i'm just wondering if there's a league (or anything like that) where the players don't stall.
thx.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Define 'stalling'.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

when a player doesn't score when he can.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

there is no such league and never will be.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless you create it yourself...and figure out how to police the actions of any members to ensure they never stall in a game...hope you have a LOT of free time to watch dozens of replays a week...

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... someone needs to accept that stalling is a valid tactic.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

tomfromparis wrote:
when a player doesn't score when he can.

You mean when he can without rolling any dice? Because there are tons of instances where a player 'could' score, but would risk handoffs, dodges, or GFI in order to do so.

There are also situations where a player scoring (even without having to roll dice) is the flagrantly stupidest thing he could possibly do, from a game winning and/or team survival standpoint. You want a league that may force a coach to do something to his disadvantage? (take for example, elves up 3-1 against bashers, and getting mauled, with one turn to go. Which would you do...sit tight and let him take his one Blitz against someone, or score pointlessly and line 3 guys up to get mashed, in addition to the one Blitz? I'll tell you what, any league that would force me to take the latter choice is very poorly conceived...)

And finally, on an 'enforcement' note, what about if a team cages up too far away from the end zone to score in 1 turn, even with rolling dice, then bashes the other team to bits. Is this stalling? Because the coach could have scored within 2 turns without rolling dice? What if something failed and his cage didn't hold trying to reposition in the first turn? What about if he's 3 turns back? Where do you draw the line? The rules and enforcement would be ludicrously complex and difficult for this sort of thing, and would most lilkely lead to some crafty coach finding an abusive loophole, and generally bad feelings all around:

"Commish! My opponent stalled last game!"
"No, I didn't, I just slowed down on my drive, I always kept moving towards the end zone!"
"Not as fast as you could have! You were deliberately going slow to hurt me!"
"I was just trying to stay safe!"
etc, etc, winge, winge, part of the game, bleen, bleen, not fair, bloon, bloon, not the definition of stalling, blah, blah, and so on...

The best way to 'avoid stalling' isn't to try and make a league that forbids it. It is to just pressure the ball as much as you can. And to the coaches that complain their team is just getting decimated and they can't pressure the ball with only 3 players left on the pitch, all prone: Be freaking glad your opponent is stalling, and lie there and take the 1 foul max per turn they can do. At least it'll be over faster.

Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

That last statement takes a little getting used to, CS3, but is certainly valid. For the good of the team, it's sometimes better to lose a single match but keep the players for future matches. But you left out a few cases...

Your opponent's most lethal player is ko/crowdpush stunned, and by scoring you give him one more shot...

A draw game, your opponent has a OTS player, but by stalling one turn you give him no time to field and turn your victory back into a draw...

Your opponent is getting more and more mad, abusing you verbally for all the "luck" you're having, how you're not a good coach, yada yada yada. You can be down by two scores, about to score to be down only by 1, with two turns left to try to steal the ball and equalize the game. But you stall, for the sole reason it pisses off your opponent to new heights of rudeness--don't match rudeness for rudeness, use the rules and stall! (Not very good tactically, but oh-so-satisfying to see their reactions...you'll also find a lot of support from laughing coaches in chat, too...)

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
But you left out a few cases...

Heh, well I did say my example was just 'for exmaple' Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
AFK_Eagle wrote:
But you left out a few cases...

Heh, well I did say my example was just 'for exmaple' Wink

Define "exmaple" Razz
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Somebody who defects from Canada?

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2005 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

try this group:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=2506

its focus is on winning with as many tds possible, to increase ur overall score. stalling doesn't pay off, as the other players are all scoring 3-4 tds, and u have to keep up... give it a try...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
tomfromparis

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, lucky me, so much people explaining me everything and stuff.

I guess some of you won't care if i explain i think bloodbowl is a ball game and is about scoring.
I don't worry about knocked out stars, bashing or fouling, as long as the ball is taken forward to score. Of course you don't have to isolate the player with the ball or take unnecessary risks. Being cautious isn't stalling.

All in all, it's just that my fun is spoiled when the ball is not moving for 4 or 5 turns while my team is stuck.
And i prefer to lose 6-0 against some genius tactician (including casualties since it's part of the game) than to lose 2-1 (even without casualties) versus some coward hiding the ball.

Incidentally, thx for the tip, LordSnotball.

Gentlemen, thx for your time anyway.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play, you play to win. Stalling WINS games in BB.
Just ask any Dwarf or Orc opponent facing Skaven or woodies.

Want high scores at all costs? Play basketball.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't say i want high scores. My example was bad. Let's say i'd rather lose 1-0 to a tactician (including high casualties) than 1-0 to a staller who's worried i might score eventually if i find a flaw in his defense.

For instance, i just played a very cool game. I lost 2-0, had 6 casualties but it was all playing and getting back the ball from the other team to stop the attack and build a counter-attack. Very interesting and tactical til the end.

The thing is i just find it boring when the ball is kept right before the touchdown line while the attacking team is bashing a defending team who is scattered and can't defend nor block anymore.

JanMattys, of course dwarves and orcs must bash quick teams and avoid to isolate the player with the ball. So they take some time to score. We do agree on that. Every team has its own tactics to score.

And we also agree that a game's purpose is to win.

I guess i'm just not the "every mean is good" kinda player. I like difficult games 'cause winning has a better taste when your opponent had had every chance to strike back. That's only my opinion of course.

But hey, mates, i didn't want to debate. I just wanted to know if there was a league or something where players don't like stalling either.
That was just about it. Wink
 Jump to: