76 coaches online • Server time: 22:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not here to make things easy for my opponent, if they beat me it'll be because they were better, they had a better team, more fortunate dice, or some combination of the above, not because I did them any favours.

EDIT: LortSnotball, that tournament in no way discourages stalling. Giving 10 points for a td isn't much when you take 10 off for each touchdown scored against you and 300 for a win. What, I should risk 310 points by scoring instead of stalling and giving you a chance to equalise?? In the situation where you're likely to score 3 or 4 anyway you're not about to stall in the first place.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

tomfromparis wrote:
I didn't say i want high scores. My example was bad. Let's say i'd rather lose 1-0 to a tactician (including high casualties) than 1-0 to a staller who's worried i might score eventually if i find a flaw in his defense.

The thing you seem to miss is that "tactician" involves proper use of stalling.
Stalling is not easy at all. Requires foresight, good positioning and careful planning. And it's risky. I never succeeded to stall properly for more than one turn against a Top Coach.. Guess why... Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeez, can people read?

tomfromparis wrote:
But hey, mates, i didn't want to debate. I just wanted to know if there was a league or something where players don't like stalling either.
That was just about it. Wink

See above. This guy isn't all that interested in a "debate" (read: flamewar) about the merits of stalling; what he wants is to know if there's a no-stalling league.

And to my knowledge, the answer to that question is "no", but you can make your own No Stalling league in unranked if you wish. You can't do so in ranked because stalling is considered a valid tactic and agreeing not to use it is therefore tantamount to match fixing (like agreeing not to foul, etc.).

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

tomfromparis wrote:

I guess some of you won't care if i explain i think bloodbowl is a ball game and is about scoring.
I don't worry about knocked out stars, bashing or fouling, as long as the ball is taken forward to score. Of course you don't have to isolate the player with the ball or take unnecessary risks. Being cautious isn't stalling.

All in all, it's just that my fun is spoiled when the ball is not moving for 4 or 5 turns while my team is stuck.
And i prefer to lose 6-0 against some genius tactician (including casualties since it's part of the game) than to lose 2-1 (even without casualties) versus some coward hiding the ball.

Interesting wording from someone not interested in debate.
tomfromparis

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Boy is this a touchy subject...

Thx for your answer HollowOne, among others who gave me some very interesting piece of advice here.

As or the word "coward", well, apparently it's all a matter of point of view, since lots of you think stalling is smart tactics. In that case that makes me the whiner or i don't know what. No prob. As i said, just a matter of point of view.

I confess i'm surprised to see so many answers of players needing to explain why stalling is such an essential part of the game.
That was interesting anyway.
Webbe

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

tomfromparis wrote:

I confess i'm surprised to see so many answers of players needing to explain why stalling is such an essential part of the game.
That was interesting anyway.

Fact: Stalling is an essential part of the game!
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2005 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

"Is fouling part of the game?"

- Yes, it's the best part, unless it's done to you!

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

hey lord lminked my tournament cool. But basically, lord has a point. To avoid stalling without having to monitor the players, just over balance the value of every TDs (e.g. wins=5pts +1 per TD) or even more. Exepect in it to find just elves and ska.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

If we can have a tournament with no stalling, can we also have one that bans OTS?

How about one baning fouling

Or one banning crowd pushes.

Or one that makes Passes illegal

how about no hand offs?

even better..no blitzing..that blitzing sure is over powered.

maybe no blocking at all..how would that go?

make dodging a bannable offense...
etc.

banning stalling is removing a very valid and (sometimes) useful tactic to use.

Real life teams do it all the time (ever seen a QB take a knee..or a team let the clock run down as far as possible before starting the play).

It may be boring to you, but if it is going to help me win the game, I'm going to do it.

And if someone stalls versus me, I try my hardest to make him pay for it somehow (not always possible). I've even occasionally broken thru and stopped his 'guaranteed' TD..even once or twice scored my self (skaven are FAST Smile

Post 7 Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Write something about it in the team description? (Or, perhaps that would more of <b>attract</b> stallers to him, than keep them away...? Shocked)
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Turn 16 foulers should not start a thread about stallers (imho).

Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

To become more successful as coaches we have to become sneaky gits which foul, stall and breed lots of oneturners and claw/rsc-spawn.
A bitter realisation, but a fact.

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

GorTeX wrote:
maybe no blocking at all..how would that go?

you make irony but it's an idea that I love. if you take a player down, it's a foul and you have to end turn. the teams would be zombi teams. A real new concept!

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2006 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm confused. Doesn't this happen in real football? It's called good strategy. I had a recent game where I could have scored the go-ahead score on turn 7, and given my fast opponent a decent chance to equalize, and instead I waited until turn 8, when he had no chance to score. It's called trying to win the game. My opponent ranted on about what a poor sport I was. I just don't get it.
 Jump to: