39 coaches online • Server time: 14:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Am i really crap at this game?
Yes, always
48%
 48%  [ 65 ]
No, just really unlucky
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Quite a bit of both actually
42%
 42%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 134

pushbloke

Post 5 Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I sometimes wonder if I should be playing this game. I seem to lose an awful lot. Its lucky I enjoy playing really or i would get the raging hump Razz
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Tell yourself Its nuffles fault, and if you had magic dice like your opponent, youd be good too.

Its always worked for me in the past.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Mezir

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I bought magic dice from this one shopkeeper, but when I planted them in my garden nothing happened. Sad

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you been rolling beans ever since?

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
angelface

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Enjoy if you win and dont care if you lose. To have an above average winning ratio requires 2 things: routine and the ability of *khm* choosing opponents. Routine will come in the course of time, and hope that the so-called ability wont ever come - this is the nasty fate of many once excellent and fun coaches who are saltless scarecrows in these days.

If I can give you any advice: dont ever give a damn about cr!
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

No!
You must cherrypick relentlessly!

It's the only wayyyyyyyyyyy.....(Urgh)

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

if nothing else, try hanging out at the fumbbl academy and spec some games with others - hell even just spec some games Smile I didn't really learn the value of a good setup untill I started playing on fumbbl:) (and then only after a substantial beating too:p). Learning to set up your blocks takes some time and practice as well (something I'm still learning)..

So, give it time and have fun while playing Smile Is what the game is about:)

And listen to Angelface! CR-scherschmer! Smile
lordchaos

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I would just kill yourself now and end the humiliation and the pain.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you're his friend or something, otherwise that's just mean.

And I for one should what is mean.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I recommend choosing a race you want to be better with. I suggest picking a popular race btw. Because the second step is speccing as many games with 'good' coaches playing that specific race. See what skills they choose. See how they set up. Watch how they move, what they move first etc.

In short; watch and learn.

Works for me. (albeit not as much as I'd like)

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I havent voted, due to the fact that I havent played you, or even seen you play. (And Im a lazy bastard who dont bother with watching replays). Rolling Eyes

Saying that, I've heard of fumbbl academy (or something simular) where they help new coaches with some tactics and stuff like that. Wink

And if you consicer yourself to be unlucky, you should talk to Jinxed and Ludicruz. The unluckiest coaches Ive seen around. (Saying that doesnt mean I think you are crap at playing) Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

pushbloke wrote:
I sometimes wonder if I should be playing this game. I seem to lose an awful lot. Its lucky I enjoy playing really or i would get the raging hump Razz

Some people just have a steep learning curve - many coaches here had to play a lot of games here before they even got the basics. That may be because they hardly ever played the game before or because they were stuck in playing the same way they learned on Table Top.

NEVER blame luck for anything that happens - it's always YOUR fault if you lose a game. This isn't slacking you, it's merely what I tell myself which also makes it more enjoyable if you lose because you know you could have done better than you did. If your set-up failed to stop the opponent's drive your set-up wasn't good enough and you could try something new (or play your set up differently). There's always things to learn.

Get the hang of the basic concepts - making your players who won't do anything anyway stand up before throwing any dice; don't do 1d blocks that might win you little but cost you everything unless you REALLY have to.

I'm just mentioning a few things - the forums are covered with good advice as well as the user guide which has many good advice for new players. Remember that playing vs different races require different strategies and you can't defeat everyone the same way. Remember that every turn matters and that even the set-up can win and loose you the game (it very likely will). Never underestimate your opponent and expect that 4+ dodge, 3+ dodge, GFI, GFI, 1d blitz on your ball-carrier to work in your opponents favour and shield the ball better. Sometimes it may not matter if your opponent can reach the ball with one player if the rest of his team is in the other end of the field.

The game evolves, your opponents change and vary - you must do these things as well.

And above all - have fun. That's really all it comes down to Razz
Meetgrinder

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I suck ass and blow goats when it comes to my 'skills' but I win as much as I lose, I guess. My own theory is that one coach gets all the luck and the other gets sod all, which isn't how I find dice in the tabletop game.

I usually find I lose big style to those with 20 or more coach rating, with those coaches seemingly getting all the breaks, ignoring tackle zones, making GFI after GFI when needed, and don't even get me started on amour rolls and 1 dice blocks.

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Or something.

I comfort myself that I don't have to get up for school like most of my opponents. Then remember I'm at work on a night shift in two hours and my opponent is taking forever to move, selecting one guy, then another, going back to the first, pausing, selecting the player again, then again, then again... then the server goes funny and I'm trying hundreds of local ports to get back in the game, find out I lost that great turn I just had, and that their star player isn't injured any more, and end up dragging defeat from slavering jaws of victory.

I wonder why I play this game at all Rolling Eyes I think it's cause I loike being beaten, but let's not go into my weekend activities...
Optihut

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Here are Optihut's tips on winning the game:

If possible do at least a 2 die block (in your favour, mind you)

In round 7 at the latest, get a player into the opposing half, even if your opponent still has the ball and is likely to score, in order to have the chance to score a TD in round 8. Initially I forgot about this and didn't even have a shot at a counter TD when my opponent botched his rolls.

when running towards the endzone with the ball don't gfi, if an opposing player can easily reach you after the gfi anyway.

And most importantly - it's an extension of the above gfi rule - if you can't afford to roll a 1, don't roll! Case in point when my orc team was new I played against a guy with a 160+ CR and his chaosdwarves. My Blackorcs were standing next to his dwarves, but one time I didn't block, because I had a 1/9 chance of falling down and then he could have blitzed my ballcarrier. Instead, I left the BoBs standing, pinning down his clumsy dwarves and forcing him to do a 4+ dodge before blitzing. Not using all my players all the time won the game.
chappy24

Post 18 Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

pushbloke wrote:
I sometimes wonder if I should be playing this game. I seem to lose an awful lot. Its lucky I enjoy playing really or i would get the raging hump

Razz
Twisted Evil Try playing with teams that have high AGG ??????????? & hope the 1s stay away !!!!!!!!!!!!
 Jump to: