27 coaches online • Server time: 08:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Exempt teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Where do you stand on Intentional Grounding?
Intentional what?
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
I hold onto the ball: I don't throw it away
7%
 7%  [ 10 ]
It's an option in my playbook, but I don't use it very often
70%
 70%  [ 92 ]
Hey! You've given away my favourite tactic: I was trying to keep this secret!
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Intentional Grounding is evil! EVIL! And should be banned! Stop doing it or you may go blind
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 130

chunky04

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I have wet dreams about a Big Hand/NoS leap GR - if I ever manage to get one and pair it with the Dauntless/Horns one I think the world will end Smile

I definitely highly value Big Hand and NoS for this reason. Unless I'm using an elf team, I generally advocate NoS over Strong Arm on doubles for throwers, and this sort of play is a big reason why.

If I can ever get a Human Catcher to live long enough, Sure Hands would be the 3rd normal skill I'd give them beyond block/sidestep (unlikely, as I am a habitual spp spreader to the extent I believe that in 900+ games on fumbbl I've only ever had 2 50+ spp players).

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle explained intentional grounding in RL...mostly. You should know that when a QB drops straight back to pass a "pocket" develops to guard him. It is defined by the starting position of the "tackle" on the LoS. If the QB scrambles outside the pocket he is free to throw the ball away as he sees fit. He can just heave it downfield or throe it out of bounds without fear of penalty.

But as many have said...I don't see this tactic in blood bowl as "intentional grounding" it is indeed more like a punt...or even closer to the mark is kicking to space in rugby terms.

Valid, at times invaluable, and one thing NOT mentioned yet is it can often keep the blitz from hitting your "punter". A guy with the ball is always a target...this way you may save a hit depending.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I never used it myself but have seen it a couple of times. But never as an attempt at scoring; only as a way of keeping me from scoring. I must say that it is frustrating to be on the receiving end of it but other than that I got no complaints about it being used.
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

i used the threat of doing it in RL to lure my opponent into moving a player into his backfield - worked great as he moved a witch elf well away from what was going on, evening up the odds for my depleted HE team...
pac

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2005 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

[pac resurrects his own thread to note the following:]

Check out this match for a display of intentional grounding/punting on the highest stage, the FUMBBL Cup!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=957674

It's Buffy Episodes second touchdown, at the start of the second half.

This is a case of intentional grounding being the best and even only option when a team is outnumbered and under heavy pressure.

Did RandomOracle need some luck to pull this one off? Sure, but - had ibar (his opponent) lurked around the forums a little more - he would have known from this thread that just by keeping his Thrower deep at full back (something he could easily have afforded to do with his advantage in numbers), he could have closed this threat off. He committed everything to the line, and paid the price for it.

Well played, Random: and, much as it goes against the grain for me to back Orcs, good luck in the next round.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

An interesting note about that game was that ibar had the chance to use the same tactic when he picked up the ball near his end zone with his blitzer on turn 8 in the first half. Had he thrown the ball to an empty square near the opposite side line I couldn't have scored the (lucky) 1-0 TD on my last turn of the half. Now granted, a fumble would have been even worse than keeping the ball on his blitzer, but it's only a 2+ roll since you can afford an inaccurate pass.

On the other hand, I think my third touchdown was the purest display of skill and intelligent tactics on my part. First a target 10 interceptions with my black orc, followed by a 4+ dodge, a 6+ pass and 4+ catch. Luck, what luck? Wink
Panda_

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Taken in fact that the pass is often a long bomb, i would not say that's it's a dirty trick. It means that without accurate, you have 50% chance to fumbbl it.

But indeed, this is a cool strategy that my skaven don't use often (the defence on gutters is always good).

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

punting is a kick. Intentional grounding is a throw. Blood Bowl isn't american football. and yes, I will do it.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl isn't "real" football, but still most people think that it's quite close. And while this "int.grounding" is made by Pass skill, it's used mainly as punts in football. So if some people want to think it as a punt, I agree in that.

Very useful tactic, in some cases (as stated on previous messages)

And for the guy who said that Broncos are good; Pfffft!! Denver Donkeys are NEVER good. Haven't, aren't, will not. Period Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Agrak wrote:
punting is a kick. Intentional grounding is a throw. Blood Bowl isn't american football. and yes, I will do it.

Blood Bowl has 11 player teams, forward passes, an american shaped football and, according to Fluff was developed from the rulebook of the god NFL...... Clearly any comparisons betwen the two are idiotic, Blood Bowl is much more like...... oh, wait.... It is an aweful lot more like american football than anything else. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Punting the ball can be very usefull if you have jump up! Just run him down the lenght of the field and pass a few squares forward. Take the hit and then next turn dodge away and score. This is something I plan on developing with some of my Vamps. Of course it can probably only be used once per game and if the players that gets hit gets stunned/fouled you have lost possesion.

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it with humans or skaven... especially if my team is getting pounded.
It can provide a two turn td or prevent an opposing team from scoring even when you're outnumbered 2 to 1.
Sometimes you know you just can't protect the ball carrier.
Mordus

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2005 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I see this as a very useful and completely fair tactic that adds just a little bit more strategy to the game. It's not only useful to save your ball carrier from getting a good boot and letting your opponent get the touchdown but it is also useful to help your oponnent self destruct. Throw the ball downfield, or at least to a place where he can't easily get to it. If he is really putting the pressure on you you might have some players behind him.... hopefully you had actually planned this and moved accordingly rather than it being an end of turn decision. Put your players in places that make him have to make some risky dodges and GFI's to even get a TZ on the ball to help protect it before you throw it. Yes, it will bounce and probably end up somewhere other than what you would like but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make him make some bad rolls to try and get the ball which would very easily come back to bite him. Hey, you have very little to lose at this point. Rather than giving him the chance to pick it up in your half of the field make him TRY and make some dodges and GFI's to get back to the ball in his side of the field. Let him do the work of taking down his players for you. Shocked

MissThang.... I love that nick lol... just had to add that in.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I used it, on "real" BB where i had two AG5 Gutter Runners. Once both are "through", one carrying the ball ... then i toss it a few spaces further (no long bomb). The idea behind that: Being "through" (and the already mentioned defense close to the LoS) the ball was out out reach for anyone but the two Runners.
One could be blitzed.
The other one scored.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2005 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Intentional grounding. part of the game?

Wink
 Jump to: