31 coaches online • Server time: 02:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
#crunch

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi!

In the second round of a RL league, my Elf team, the Uptown Metrosexuals, are up against a Wood Elf team. After some serious bad luck in round 1 I'm outnumbered 9-11, no pun intended.

My lineup is 2 blitzers (one w/tackle), 2 throwers and 5 linos, 3RR, 7FF.
Theirs is 1 WD, 10 linos, no extra skills, 2RR, 8FF.

My prime concern is that my opponent will use his superior numbers and annihilate what's left of my team with lots of 2d blocks. I would like to prevent that from happening. Any advice? We're both fairly competent players, so don't bother with the extremely obvious stuff.

So far, my plans are to receive first if given the opportunity and try to even the numbers in round 1. My blitzers (AV8, block) are an asset toughness-wise, and the tackler is a powerful neutralizer against his WD, as long as he (any of the two ;-) is around.

Anybody here who's been in this type of situation before? How did you fare?
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

u both have 7AV so u can either dodge away a lot, leaving him 1 2d blitz every turn, or you can try to crowdpush a bit, if u can pull it off! i'd recommend choosing whether to play offence or defence first. if u play offence, you will be hit hard and will have to score quickly. if u play defence, u can trash his team in the first half... if u can force him to score an early td then u can rush...

with elves its ok even with 5 players, as u can dodge anywhere basically...

good luck!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
#crunch

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:

<snip>

if u play offence, you will be hit hard and will have to score quickly. if u play defence, u can trash his team in the first half... if u can force him to score an early td then u can rush...

with elves its ok even with 5 players, as u can dodge anywhere basically...

good luck!

Sorry, but I don't quite get the part about getting hit hard when playing offense first. If I do, I will get 3 2d blocks on the LoS, with a better than 2 in 3 chance of breaking armor at least once, and end turn 1 with a protected ball carrier and little if any contact. After that, HE'll have to make contact to keep me from scoring, allowing me to either dodge away or hit him 2d.

OTOH, if I play defense first, I will get hit 3 times on the LoS, with a better than 2 in 3 chance etc., after which I might well be outnumbered so badly that my opp can even stall and beat me to pulp (with Wood Elves! shame!).

Am I making a mistake here?
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

heh, english, passive construction, i said 'you will BE hit hard'... read all the words Smile

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Welves can be beaten to a pulp, and still emerge victorious. Don't concentrate on blocking. Dodge and run...
Run Forrest Run!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2005 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
heh, english, passive construction, i said 'you will BE hit hard'... read all the words Smile

That was his point... If you play offence you do the hitting, not the getting hit.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

playing offence or defence won't make a great difference imo, number of players don't seem the greatest problem for elves.
difference will be the wardancer, as long as he's on pitch, you will have great problems to stop him and prevent the woodies from scoring, and hes good for defense (highest mv, blodge). I would do my best to get rid of him early (two blitzers, 60k linos-foulers)
theopacman

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

You have 2 throwers , use them to your advantage and try the switch

starting offense you only get potentially 4 2d blocks(3 LOS and a blitz) in the opening kick off (barring a bad kick off roll) after that you will be the one getting hit as he already outnumbers you and you have to have men protecting the ball he can isolate and smash the others... So most important to score early

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2005 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

well you are outnumbered and you play a rather quick team:

ok first no extra skill for him. Good news. You have tackle so he is for the WD.

First thing if you attack=> after the quick, one player picks up and go deep, one player midfield as a relay, 3 guys that blocked midfield and 4 that runs deep.

Look at how he reacts: if he don't go for pressure, stall!!! Why? basically because opponents tend to go for the scoring threat and attacks them 2vs1.

add side step skill and it's a potential 6*2d blocks, including 2 of those 6 against blockers.

dodge sometimes. It will ensure you just few blocks suffered.

after some rounds he will understand that you stall. Then it will be time to score. On defense run it aggresive through pressure on ball carrierer and interceptions position. 9 vs 11=> you can't really stop him anyway.

Running really aggressive forces opponent to score quick and since you don't go that much into TZ, avoids blocks.

Don't foul of course. Would be suicidal.

Don't know if I have any other advice.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah!

sk8bcn wrote:
well you are outnumbered and you play a rather quick team:
#crunch wrote:

Well, his is quicker, but yeah. 2 turn TD is possible if he turns on the heat.

sk8bcn wrote:

ok first no extra skill for him. Good news. You have tackle so he is for the WD.

Just hope I can do unto him before he does unto me.

sk8bcn wrote:

First thing if you attack=> after the quick, one player picks up and go deep, one player midfield as a relay, 3 guys that blocked midfield and 4 that runs deep.

Look at how he reacts: if he don't go for pressure, stall!!! Why? basically because opponents tend to go for the scoring threat and attacks them 2vs1.

Here we are getting to the meat and bones. Good advice, thanks! I'll definitely give it a try and hope he doesn't wake up too early.

Worst case scenario counterplay: Attack the relays. Send the WD plus 1 lino deep to pressurize the ball carrier and force my hand. Just mark the scoring threats from behind. (That is, from MY side so they can't go back to help in the midfield w/o dodging a lot.) They're welcome to try and catch a hopefully successful long pass/bomb (interception?) on a 3+, then dodge and probably gfi for a td on turn 2.

But yeah, that's probably my best shot. Gotta remind myself that I'm at a disadvantage here. And if he's defending over-aggressively, I can still punt.

sk8bcn wrote:

after some rounds he will understand that you stall. Then it will be time to score. On defense run it aggresive through pressure on ball carrierer and interceptions position. 9 vs 11=> you can't really stop him anyway.

so true.

sk8bcn wrote:

Running really aggressive forces opponent to score quick and since you don't go that much into TZ, avoids blocks.

Don't foul of course. Would be suicidal.

Yeah. The survival part. I hope we can reach a silent agreement about NOT FOULING. Otherwise I'll have 7 players left in league round 3...

sk8bcn wrote:

Don't know if I have any other advice.

That was good enough. Thank you!
chunky04

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Do your best to turn it into a scoring contest. Play light and high risk on defense (by high risk a mean go all out for the ball and leave things open for if you don't get it).

If you can get a 2 TD lead it will force him to play ball rather than hit you.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

#crunch wrote:
Worst case scenario counterplay: Attack the relays. Send the WD plus 1 lino deep to pressurize the ball carrier and force my hand. Just mark the scoring threats from behind. (That is, from MY side so they can't go back to help in the midfield w/o dodging a lot.) They're welcome to try and catch a hopefully successful long pass/bomb (interception?) on a 3+, then dodge and probably gfi for a td on turn 2.

Yes you are right this is the worst that might happen (bah worser is that he kills your team).

It's the best technique you can use but I noticed that mid field players, while beeing a big part of you plan, are underestimated by average coaches. If he is good, he will do it that way.

Bah not that much of a problem unless unlucky. you feel the danger=> start your drive. Dodge with one guy (blitzer is best) to know down the midcourt defender. It frees your relay. The best choice is too to free a relay on the side. Move the blitzer to start a wing cage:

| x
|x
| x

make the transmission. You you used a reroll go for a wing cage and close if. the wardancer, according to the pressure he tries to put on you is far from the cage.

If the reroll is not spent. Trying a dodge and a TD may be a good option.

It doesn't suit to your stalling tactics, but suffering a turn over and TD while you attack is even worser.