19 coaches online • Server time: 08:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rakalph_Templeflayer

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate slow players, I dont mind losing, but when it takes like 20 minutes a turn I get totally fed up. What can be done to stop these Turtle players, and encourage them to play faster?

What do people think about removing re-rolls for excessively slow players?

Bah!!!
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I just put their names in a txt file and never play them again.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a ton of reasons people play slowly. I, myself, do work from home as well as occassionally babysit and do other odd little things that might take my attention away for a brief time like phone calls, drop offs, pick ups, etc.

I understand that some people are just naturally slow playing and like to think their way through the game. Taking 20 minutes a turn is a might bit excessive, but taking about 4 minutes isn't all that bad. I have had a couple opponents that have taken their sweet time selecting and de-selecting players, going through everyone as if they were real pieces and you could touch them. Only thing I've come up with to combat the situation is to not play them again. There's no rule saying that a turn has to be over in a certain amount of time, and it's there for a reason. Some people are naturally slow thinkers. This doesn't mean their dumb. Just means it takes them time to look at a situation from all angles and see what would work best for them.

Take a valium, drink a beer, relax, and play someone else.
celas

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I look through the forums and dig up the other 20 threads on this topic and see what was already written. BTW, does anyone think fouling should be allowed in BB? Razz
El_Jairo

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You try to give them hints to make them play faster. Convince them it will be nicer for them too.
Otherwise I don't see many other options that to threath to never play them again, if they stay this slow.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

General advice #1: Don't cherrypick. Play more experienced coaches. If you are cherry picking, you have no right to complain if your prey plays it slow.

General advice #2: check the opponent's bio before the match. Many slow coaches (including me) warn the others in their bio. If you don't bother to read the opponent's bio before the match, you have no right to complain about him playing slow.

IanFidel

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

20 mins. Really? I can be slow but not like that. Anything more than 5 mins is ridiculous!!

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Usually I play quickly, but sometimes there are certain unforeseeable things like a phonecall, a ringing doorbell or other "emergency" which diverts my attention away from bloodbowl. Usually I inform my opponent with a "hang on, phone..." note or something like that before disappearing. It's rare, but it does happen.

People who take very long to complete every turn are pretty annoying to me, though. I hope they are just new at this and will eventually learn to play faster. I don't know whether anything can be really done about it, though.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Life sometimes get's in the way, and some people are slower than you. They're different, not stupid, you can ask then nicely, if they don't comply, play them only if you have to.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Try informing your opponent that if he is taking 20 minutes (~2mins per player on field), he can choose between reducing the "2 minutes" part, or you may need to start taking 'more active measures' to reduce the "players on field" part Smile

Then start dropping comments about how you love sidelines, and sharp tags on boots.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I sure hope that if you're attention is needed in real life, you write in the client before you leave the computer...nothing is more annoying, unpolite and bad sportsmanship to just walk away from the computer and leave your opponent wiating without knowing wheter you there or not. A brb og back in 5 is enough....
dadoz

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

What ticks me off the most about slow players is that they mess up MY game. If they take too long time to finish, I loose my concentration and when it's finally my turn to play i usually play way to quick and make simple misstakes...

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies wrote:
General advice #1: Don't cherrypick. Play more experienced coaches. If you are cherry picking, you have no right to complain if your prey plays it slow.

These days when khemri teams refuse playing vs vamps or orcs answer 'no' because of a dirty player on the roster (choosy orcs, my personal fav), you dont really have the chance of reading 27 bios and carefully screening out anyone. After 30 minutes in vain on the gamefinder one just answers 'sure' to the first not-so-weird offer.
Astrix

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Rakalph_Templeflayer wrote:
I hate slow players
What do people think about removing re-rolls for excessively slow players?

Bah!!!

dont put your hate in here

one reason is that unexperienced coaches cannot play as fast as others
and everyday new coaches appear.
if you are bored during game why not get some pie ?
or here some good music ?
so check their bio`s and avoid newbies and you will get less slow players

removing RRs?
well why not remove the best players from cherrypickers teams ?
Optihut

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2005 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Alternatively, if someone is taking 20 minutes per round, just do the same: On your next turn, go to the bathroom, then move a player, browse a few websites, move a player, and so on Wink
 Jump to: