82 coaches online • Server time: 22:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Qaz

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Any one got an idre of how many games a BB player lasts on avarge bacis here on fumbbl? some lasts hundreds other are retired afther they where bought.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Azurus

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience, on average you lose one player every 2-3 games. So you lose 11 payers in 22-33 games. Which in theory means replacing a given position around every 25 games or so on average.

(This is for me, I play mostly AV 8 teams at mid-ranges)

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 07:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Currently, the average number of games played on all dead and retired players is 8.4 with a standard deviation of 9.7.

This does not include players that haven't played any games (ie, players retired immediately after creating the team).
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Varies wildly by position, too. In over 200 games with my skaven Weapon Masters, I've seen 132 players come and go. The linerats, those usually put on LOS duty, take the brunt of any punishment and average a full 5 games per player less than my more protected gutters, who tend to survive games but age prematurely and get retired. My longest lasting players tend to be my big guys, who can take a bigger beating, are harder to knock over in the first place, and gain spp slow enough to not age very fast.

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

8.4 games per player, on average? That sounds very low. I think my Forrest Fools had around 28 or so when I last checked. And my woodies aren't exactly the most sturdy players around.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
8.4 games per player, on average? That sounds very low. I think my Forrest Fools had around 28 or so when I last checked. And my woodies aren't exactly the most sturdy players around.

A lot of teams haven't played more than 5-10 games. 28 games would be a lot of games for one team for some coaches.
Telcontar

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah you need to take only teams into consideration that have played a certain number of games to see the effect of aging and more cas (more claw, rsc and mb as well as tackle) at higher TR rates

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
A lot of teams haven't played more than 5-10 games. 28 games would be a lot of games for one team for some coaches.

Yes, but Christer said that 8.4 games was for dead and retired players. I e, players that are still on the team doesn't count.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2005 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but Christer said that 8.4 games was for dead and retired players. I e, players that are still on the team doesn't count.

True, true. I'd like to see the stats for Ranked, though. Stunty must certainly contribute huge amounts of retired and dead players.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2005 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

8.4 yep it sounds lowe to me too but if the old chap Christer has taken his spare time of WOW to post the number 8.4 it got to be it.

Thanx Christer

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Malthor

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2005 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Currently, the average number of games played on all dead and retired players is 8.4 with a standard deviation of 9.7.

This does not include players that haven't played any games (ie, players retired immediately after creating the team).

What about retired TEAMS? Are the players on these teams included and if not, should they be included?

Would certainly be interesting to see the life expectancy of a linerat vs say a Black Ork Blocker (look at average number of games before an unsaved injury of D, ignore other injuries/retirement).
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2005 - 06:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

No, players on retired teams are not included in this number.

The thing is that there are an insane number of teams which has played a low number of games (less than 10). Around 25% of all registered teams fall into this category. So even if the average retirements/deaths per game is low, the sheer number of teams retiring players in the first few games reduces the average number of games played quite substantially.

As with all other statistical figures, you need to actually know what the statistics represent.

Another more relevant statistic is to ask how many retirements and deaths there are per game. Looking over the entire FUMBBL data, that would be roughly 0.72 retirements and deaths per game (again, excluding those who are retired without any games played). So the average player has a life expectancy of around 20 games (I'm assuming the average BB team has 14 players).

This figure is consistent with how the average strength develops. After around 20 games, the average strength stops increasing and flattens out. The average team simply doesn't become stronger after 20 games.

More detailed stats on strength and TR development is available on the statistics section of the site.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2005 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I just checked the lifespan of players on my longest-running team, and the average comes out at 20.35 for me. (The team has played 85 games iirc)

This is of course wildy skewed by my non-existant ability to protect my players, anyone who can do that might have their guys lasting a bit longer Twisted Evil

EDIT: further analysis by position (this is a DE team). Average lifespans came out at:

Blitzers: 31.7 games
Witch Elves: 29.3 games
Linemen: 16.7 games
Throwers: a rather pathetic 10.0 games

Guess I need to learn to protect my throwers better, eh?

Last edited by Azurus on %b %16, %2005 - %06:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2005 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, data from my Weapon Masters (201 games played, 132 players past/present)...

Averate life expectancy (contract ended by death or retirement)
Linerat: 15.5
Gutter: 20.9
S. Vermin: 15.0
Thrower: 20.0
RO: 23.0

...though these numbers don't include my active players, which include some rather long-lived team members (such as a 62 game linerat and a 57 game SV). IIRC, I tended to have a much higher turnover rate in my team's early days and in each of the team's rebuilding phases than during the mainline progress. Guess my team numbers bear out Christer's numbers, statistically.

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2005 - 06:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone got some numbers for an AV 9 team? Would be nice to see how those come out.