44 coaches online • Server time: 10:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post Fumbbl on a Steamdec...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Curro

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

4.- Play for fun and be patient

This is the most important!!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

qk wrote:
5.- Read the forums (beware, much crap included)

No need to pick on Macavity like that Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I am offended... what's this racism vs higher CR coaches?

If you feel the game is fair in TR/TS, accept any offer. The guy is unbelievably good? You can always lose 6-0 and learn something new.

Just like I do when I play Cloggy (apart from the 6-0 stuff, that is...).
Very Happy

Playing vs high CR coaches is the best way to learn and to have fun. The greatest part of the (few) jerks I met here were poor coaches.

Many high CR are also veterans with a very welcoming attitude and a strong will to teach instead of just cripple your team away, cause they "get used" to win and they don't have that cannibal instinct which might become annoying for a newbie.

Purplechest, Mezir, Cloggy, Burnalot, SergeiBautin, Origami come to mind. There's many more...

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oy, I wasn't mentioned!

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
qk wrote:
5.- Read the forums (beware, much crap included)

No need to pick on Macavity like that Razz

Yeah, Hey! I post on topic to! What was the topic? Oh yeah.

BEST idea is the academy.

2nd best, ignore rating, play someone you can "trust". For instance, if you play me and make stupid dodges, I say "You do know it's the TZ in the square you are dodging TO that effects the modifier?" In facy, when a coach tells me they are new, I usually say, "Feel free to ask any questions". The fun part about the academy is that everyone will be like that, and you won't sacrifice your coach rating and dignity loosing to my no tree flings! (available any time you start ranked)

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

They most important thing is to look with the bblfg in IRC it will attract a lot of attention to you. Don't accept any game offered to you. Check the team which offer to play against you.
It happened to me lately whith a coach with two skaven teams, I wanted to play the 9player team, I ended up playing against a 12 player team and loosing 0-5. Which takes out the fun if you were looking for a recovery game for you 8 players DE-team. (Yeah I probably better have retired that team but they are unranked and it actually was a recreation of another team. And I wanted to stick with this team to be able to rebuild the team, it is a fluff-thing the team is named after my RL soccer team)

Anyway back to the topic: check the team, look if it is a good match for you: do they have same amount of players, do they have skills that can hurt you?

And also don't forget to take a look at the coach info, maybe he is just a coach who likes to foul every turn or just loves the crowd pushes because you can't use your apo on it. If you can spare the time look at your opponents last game, it will tell you what style he plays.

In matters of learning: read the racial strategy guide, join the fumbbl_academy and find a game to try some different things. The nice thing about the academy is that you are able to get an explanation of what your errors where.
There is also some nice guides on the net, I can remember one about Blocking. As this is the basic of the game it is a must read! It tells you all about how to get more assists, when to follow up and which players should block first.

But after all practice makes perfect and don't worry too much if you lose. Also try to start with some easy teams, don't try to play AV7 teams if you are not that good at blocking: they will die! Try teams like Orcs, Dwarfs or other high AV teams. I myself started with Dark Elves, and yes I had to lose and read a lot before I figured out how to play them. I have to admit that even with Orcs I tend to play in a too elfy way Wink

Damn, it looks like I've written my whole Blood Bowl life here Embarassed

Last edited by El_Jairo on %b %25, %2005 - %12:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
If you feel the game is fair in TR/TS, accept any offer. The guy is unbelievably good? You can always lose 6-0 and learn something new.

Playing vs high CR coaches is the best way to learn and to have fun. The greatest part of the (few) jerks I met here were poor coaches.

this is something i do not agree with. you just start to learn something when you play little higher than yourself. Imagine you are learning the basics. A good coach will play vs you. What happens?
1-he scores quick: pointless to stall
2-he reduces your numbers on the field (due to block optimization)
3-Then it's just High Risky and Lucky moves vs no real dangerous rolling at all

Nothing to learn from. You learn when you've reached a point yourself. When you know your part of basics and see how your opponent uses damn better any mistake or hole in defense you left. Not when he just rushes forward after you failed your pick up as first move of turn one.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrong sk8bcn. I'm the best coach who ever lived, and I'm happy to explain and teach. Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Just an extra note...

One of the basic ideas of the Academy was to get lots of newbies together so they could arrange matches against each other. It turned out that we wound up with 9-20 teachers and very few pupils most of the time, so that was a relative rarity. The point still stands, however, that the more newbies join, the more chances they have to play against coaches with similar levels of experience.

Adding to the stuff that other people wrote,
1. Spectating matches. While watching good coaches play is very enlightening, I think it is even better to watch a "training" match between a good coach and a newbie - particularly if you get another experienced coach adding commentary like "Ok, See how he's setting up those 4 guys on the left? He's going to handoff to the guy in the middle." or "What I would have done is moved those two lonely longbeards up first before trying that GFI."

2. Playing Unranked. While there is no intrinsic benefit from not having your game results run through a scoring formula, you'll find that you're more likely to find someone willing to take the time to show you the ropes, rather than someone who wants a win, as fast as possible.

3. Expect to lose. A lot. I think my first bloodbowl team was something like 2/8/30. My second one got better. The next one did better, etc...

The level of experience here on FUMBBL is far beyond what anyone outside of FUMBBL has likely ever encountered. Who - aside from Galak, naturally Smile - has played 500 tabletop or IRC games? How about 1,000? It's roughly equivalent to jumping into a professional level sport and many people do it without ever having played college ball.

By the same token, remember that you aren't the only one jumping in. Smile Don't get too discouraged, as there are plenty of newbies out there too. Just like you, they're having a tough time of it and hopefully you can meet up for a good, solid game.

The most important advice, however, is....

4. Try to have fun. You'll get better without even realizing it. If you find yourself getting fed up with getting trashed, start a Halfling team or an all Zombie team. At that point, all you can do is laugh.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

If you find yourself getting fed up with getting trashed, start a Halfling team or an all Zombie team. At that point, all you can do is laugh.

that´s what I´ve done, and believe me, you laugh a lot!!
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Another piece of good advice: Listen to BadMrMojo! He (with an assist from BrownRob) is why I managed to last more than a week here. and the advice about all zombie teams is great. You learn fast when you can't depend on things like picking up the ball or walking!

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Wrong sk8bcn. I'm the best coach who ever lived, and I'm happy to explain and teach. Razz

explain and beeing teached by a good coach is not the same as PLAYING vs a good coach. e.g. I put my team in the gamefinder. if i am asked by a weaker coach to play, will i really take the effort and time of explaining WHY he shouldn'd do that move and how to beat me?

no unless beeing asked for.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Another piece of good advice: Listen to BadMrMojo! He (with an assist from BrownRob) is why I managed to last more than a week here. and the advice about all zombie teams is great. You learn fast when you can't depend on things like picking up the ball or walking!

/ban badmistermojo
/ban brownrob

Razz mwahahaha

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

/ban all French speakers outside of Canada! Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2005 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
/ban all French speakers outside of Canada! Wink

jealous as always

Prefer the original one!